Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Bill Gates talks about C9

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cyonix

Was just reading this interview Bill Gates did with LiveSide.net

This part was in relation to transparency and Microsoft:

Bill Gates wrote:
    Now, there are people who deserve credit, like coming up with Channel 9, which in retrospect is an obvious thing of, okay, you have somebody with a random camera go around, film the person, put it up on the Web, and that's a neat thing that got a certain critical mass and a certain kind of cache to allow us to connect our developers down in the trenches with people who care about their work, and cut out all the stuff in the middle that tends to be so headline oriented and so narrowing the message about how this person is making tradeoffs of how they want to improve the product, you know, not get that feedback, not share, hey, you think we blew it, well, we're sorry, here's why we made that mistake, here's how we're going to make it better, really see the human at the other side of that interaction. But I think the desire, at least relative to our business model, has always been there.

Link to interview (Word Document)

• User profile image
    Massif

It's nice that not only does he namecheck C9 but he understands precisely why it works. That we get to see the people on the other side of the fence, and learn why things aren't perfect.

Which is good, because it's nearly always for a good technical reason that we can all understand, which transforms: "bloody MS and their useless software" into "OK, I can see why they had to do this, but I'd rather they'd done something else" which is a huge difference in terms of perception.

Now, if only there was a way to communicate the same "it was a compromise (and or mistake based on faulty assumptions / information) we had to make" message to the rest of the populace.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Hi Bill!  *waves at computer screen*

Big Smile

Herbie

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Has Bill G ever visited C9?

Has he even done a video? Charles...

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bas

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

There's a video interview Scoble did with him, a while ago.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=163166

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Cool. I reckon he should definately interact with C9 more, I know he's probably busy but in the 11 months I've been here, I've not seen a single post by him, so...

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Massif

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Cool. I reckon he should definately interact with C9 more, I know he's probably busy but in the 11 months I've been here, I've not seen a single post by him, so...

That would be funny, just imagine the reaction that you'd get if BillG actually posted unanonymously, (non-anonymously?).

It'd be slashdot central in about 30 seconds, with hundreds of posts about obscure things the NSA is supposed to have added into windows.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Massif wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

That would be funny, just imagine the reaction that you'd get if BillG actually posted unanonymously, (non-anonymously?).

It'd be slashdot central in about 30 seconds, with hundreds of posts about obscure things the NSA is supposed to have added into windows.

Hehe... still, it'd be interesting. Maybe an interview and another "What do you want to know about Vista" style thread but what do you want to know about MS in general?

/pipe dream

Last modified
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Is he the "niner in hiding"? Wink

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Massif wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

They could create a special thread/forum where only niners registered for say, 12 months, could post.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

GoddersUK wrote:

Massif wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

They could create a special thread/forum where only niners registered for say, 12 months, could post.

Oh but genius.... and a forum where niners who're only proven to be sensible could post... oh wait... I've said all this before Sad

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Cyonix

GoddersUK wrote:

Massif wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

As much as I want Bill Gates to start posting on this forum creating a special elite forum would go against the idea of Microsoft having an open conversation with its customers. I'd much rather Bill Gates just post under a blue badge anonymous username and not let us know.

• User profile image
    Sampy

Bill engages in quite the "who invented it first" smackdown near the end.

Best example of my favorite game I've ever seen.

• User profile image
    Charles
  • User profile image
    JasonOlson

Sampy wrote:

Yeah, that was utterly hilarious. I laughed out loud when I read that part.

Another thing I wasn't aware of until I read that interview was http://www.teach12.com. Anybody have any of these lectures? They are pretty spendy, but they look awesome. I also find it funny that billg even knows what "pretty spendy" is, considering he is worth a jazillion dollars (too bad that's only like 5 euros nowadays).

• User profile image
    kettch

JasonOlson wrote:

Sampy wrote:

Yeah, that was utterly hilarious. I laughed out loud when I read that part.

Another thing I wasn't aware of until I read that interview was http://www.teach12.com. Anybody have any of these lectures? They are pretty spendy, but they look awesome. I also find it funny that billg even knows what "pretty spendy" is, considering he is worth a jazillion dollars (too bad that's only like 5 euros nowadays).

You don't build a corporation the size of Microsoft and end up worth a jazillion dollars without being keenly aware of how you spend your money.

That's one of the reasons why the Gates Foundation is so well respected, he runs it like a corporation. He's very particular about who he gives money to, and expects to see results if he is going to put the Foundation's money towards some program.

• User profile image
    Custa1200

Unfortunately after reading Molly H's blog it appears he has no idea what is going on in the land of one of MS's most used products in IE. I really hope the IE team start talking more openly about IE8, maybe they do need Bill to go down there and smack them around a bit to open channels again.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.