Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Microsoft feeling the heat from flash Linux?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Ray6

With the OLPC project picking up steam and the Asus eePC selling like hot cakes, Ars Technica asks if Microsoft is starting to feel the heat from the Linux fire.

• BitFlipper

Ray6 wrote:
    With the OLPC project picking up steam and the Asus eePC selling like hot cakes, Ars Technica asks if Microsoft is starting to feel the heat from the Linux fire.

What fire?

• Maddus Mattus

Ray6 wrote:

Man,.. I am getting really tired of these baised articles,..

• corona_coder

Ray6 wrote:

Microsoft Windows is a legacy system.  As I have said a million times Linux is the future and Microsoft is starting to see and feel that.  Microsoft is done in the OS business, why do you think they are trying to break into other businesses.  They know their software business wont last forever and its starting to be crushed from Linux.  Anyone who invests in Microsoft technology in their future software offerings is making a bad investment.

• littleguru

corona_coder wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Microsoft Windows is a legacy system.  As I have said a million times Linux is the future and Microsoft is starting to see and feel that.  Microsoft is done in the OS business, why do you think they are trying to break into other businesses.  They know their software business wont last forever and its starting to be crushed from Linux.  Anyone who invests in Microsoft technology in their future software offerings is making a bad investment.

do you really think that they move to other products because they think the OS isn't selling anymore in the future? do you think coca cola bought fanta and others because they thought coca cola isn't selling anymore in the future?

• BitFlipper

corona_coder wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Linux desktop share is:

Zero. Point. Five. Seven. Percent. 

OMG! You guys are winning!

pfffttt...

• BitFlipper

BitFlipper wrote:

corona_coder wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Linux desktop share is:

pfffttt...

How rude of me. I guess it is only fair that I should congratulate Linux on their...

Zero. Point. Zero. Seven. Percent.

...gain since a month ago.

You guys are positively smoking!

pfffttt...

• Dr Herbie

BitFlipper wrote:

BitFlipper wrote:
    Linux desktop share is:

pfffttt...

How rude of me. I guess it is only fair that I should congratulate Linux on their...

pfffttt...

Well, that's either "A massive 12% gain", or "statistical noise" depending on how you want to spin it ...

Wink

Herbie

• ScanIAm

Ray6 wrote:

I'm not sure about the OLPC, but if I pick up an Eee (and it's likely I will) then it'll be getting the latest version of XP tout suite.

Whatever that means.

• Massif

tout suite?

It means "all sofas". Never understood that phrase. Wink

• Bas

On Engadget's poll on the matter (yeah, I know, very scientific), the leading OSes on that device are currently evenly spread between Xandros, XP, and OSX, all getting about 20% of the votes.

• Xaero_​Vincent

Bas wrote:
    On Engadget's poll on the matter (yeah, I know, very scientific), the leading OSes on that device are currently evenly spread between Xandros, XP, and OSX, all getting about 20% of the votes.

Hmm... 37% Linux, 19% Windows, and 20% OS X.

Wow.. don't people know that its illegal to put OS X on anything but Apple PCs? This means hordes of people are downloading cracked OS X torrents.

• cornelius

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    This means hordes of people are downloading cracked OS X torrents.

yep, who in their right mind would pay for that crap that comes out of apple?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLeFNjYeTs

anyways this is soo true of the fanboyz ^^ Perplexed

• Xaero_​Vincent

Dr Herbie wrote:

BitFlipper wrote:

BitFlipper wrote:
    Linux desktop share is:

pfffttt...

pfffttt...

Well, that's either "A massive 12% gain", or "statistical noise" depending on how you want to spin it ...

Herbie

I already did the math on this. Assuming Linux had a linear growth of .15 annually (which seems the case in the last two years), it would take Linux over 612 years to reach Windows current share of 92.4%.

I think this has much to do with the fact that 90% of Linux (open source) apps are available natively on Windows, whereas maybe 5-10% of commercial Windows apps are ported to Linux.

No killer, exclusive apps. Yes, I've devised a way where I can access almost all Windows apps from Linux when Wine fails but the fact of the matter is most people won't migrate to *nix if they have any desire to use Windows apps.

• Xaero_​Vincent

cornelius wrote:
    yep, who in their right mind would pay for that crap that comes out of apple?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLeFNjYeTs

anyways this is soo true of the fanboyz ^^

rofl...

• Ray6

corona_coder wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Microsoft Windows is a legacy system.  As I have said a million times Linux is the future and Microsoft is starting to see and feel that.  Microsoft is done in the OS business, why do you think they are trying to break into oth .....

funny pictures

• ScanIAm

Massif wrote:

tout suite?

It means "all sofas". Never understood that phrase.

Then I must have misspelled it Sad

It's supposed to mean 'all quickness' or some such nonsense.

Upon further inspection, I'm missing a 'de'.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/390125.html

Don't blame me, though, half of all written letters in french are either slurred together or never actually pronounced Smiley

• Johnny​Awesome

After getting really interested in Mono and wanting to try out some ASP.NET on an Apache server I tried to get a LAMP stack going at my house.

I have never managed an open-source server (I started years ago with NT and IIS4 I think?), so there was a learning curve for me. But, when  trying to go to a Linux forum I discovered the phrase "GUI" is somehow a 4 letter word.

I can work in the command line; I PREFER NOT TO. Microsoft will never feel the heat from Linux as long as the wall of ridicule to new users is so high and I have to run around several grad students' out of date pages in order to find the applications I want to implement.

Lack of support and documentation is in it's own a cost of entry.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.