Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How not to do an update - 3VE-Online hoses many, many XP installs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

I actually tried last night to download this enhancement, but I didn't have a lot of time, so I skipped it till lunch today.

Now, I find out that it was a good thing I did.  I'd put in 2 new video cards, and if I hadn't seen this first, I would have thought that I'd blown the system up:

http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/12/06/1312254.shtml

The new release seems to have gone well, and anyone who just did the standard install would be fine.  The problem comes if/when the Eve client figures out that your machine can handle the new models and skins...they offer it to you from a few different places, but most notably, from the actual logon sceen Sad

The bug overwrites the c:\boot.ini file and once you reboot, you are hosed.  If you've got 2 machines, you might be able to use the second to look for the thread and the fix, but some folks only have 1 machine.  And others don't have a bootable XP cd Sad

Who the heck uses boot.ini as a game file, anyway?

CCP made a great game in spite of the idiots they have working for them.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

Lucky i have Vista Smiley

• User profile image
    Zeus

Damn those Icelandic developers ... Perplexed

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

It wont boot for SP1, but it will for SP2. There are people in the comments who've simply been told that Boot.ini is missing, then the machine continues to boot.

IIRC, they say it wont boot for SP1. Yay for being so bored you actually read all 7bn comments Smiley

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    It wont boot for SP1, but it will for SP2. There are people in the comments who've simply been told that Boot.ini is missing, then the machine continues to boot.

Depends on your config. If Windows is not in C:\Windows, it can't boot without a boot.ini to tell NTLDR where it is.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Nice avatar...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.