Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

.NET 2.0 SP1 broke our app

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

One of our clients installed .NET 2.0 SP1 this week and suddenly our .NET 2.0 application (which has been running fine for 2 years now) started producing errors. Luckily, we found the problem pretty fast and were able to solve it and release a new version. Has this happened to other Niners? Is there a list somewhere with the breaking changes in SP1?

• User profile image
    littleguru

What did break in your scenario?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Assume you have a DataTable t where one of the columns is of type string. t.Select("x=3") should select the rows where x is "3". In .NET 2.0 this was not a problem. In .NET 2.0 SP1 we had to put the number between quotes, like this: t.Select("x='3'");

• User profile image
    littleguru

I see. Smiley Luckily I'm not having DataTables. Scott had a list of changes, but I don't know if that will do it for you... I think he only covers some of the public methods and stuff that changed.

• User profile image
    Rossj

TommyCarlier wrote:
    One of our clients installed .NET 2.0 SP1 this week and suddenly our .NET 2.0 application (which has been running fine for 2 years now) started producing errors.

How much fun is that? Someone loads an update without your knowing about it and next thing you know the support guys are swamped .. sigh. Now try explaining to your customer that it was Microsoft that killed the app ..

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

TommyCarlier wrote:
    Assume you have a DataTable t where one of the columns is of type string. t.Select("x=3") should select the rows where x is "3". In .NET 2.0 this was not a problem. In .NET 2.0 SP1 we had to put the number between quotes, like this: t.Select("x='3'");

Never rely on bugs and undocumented features. Very old wisdom.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

When you create an expression for a filter, enclose strings with single quotation marks:

"LastName = 'Jones'"

Found at MSDN from the System.Data.DataColumn.Expression property.

• User profile image
    tgraupmann

There are similar issues with SqlStatements in 2.0. While doing inserts .net is picky about quotes vs single quotes on insert statements.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.