Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

How many broken bones have you had?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

0 and i'm very, very, very, very afraid of broken bones, the pain... Embarassed

why? what happened?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

JohnAskew wrote:

I've had plenty of fractures, but no actual breakages.

Fractured nose (with free concussion, special offer!)
    Fractured ankle.
    Fractured collar bone.
    Currently getting physiotherapy for Spondylolisthesis (with stress fractures in one of my vertebrae).

Herbie

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

I broke my a-ss once (well, my coccix), having fallen off a friends shoulders.

I then broke my toe by kicking my brother. (I'm not that evil, really, but I hate him Tongue Out)

And finally broke my thumb by getting kicked in it, while I was messing around with a friend (when karate goes wrong).

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

I then broke my toe by kicking my brother. (I'm not that evil, really, but I hate him )

And finally broke my thumb by getting kicked in it, while I was messing around with a friend (when karate goes wrong).
    good kid, good kid Big Smile

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Ion Todirel wrote:
    0 and i'm very, very, very, very afraid of broken bones, the pain...

why? what happened?

Just asking. I forgot my coccix, so I'm at 6.

• User profile image
    Massif

Well, I may have broken a couple of ribs, but as it was much much later that I went to a doctors, and there's not a lot they can do about broken ribs, no-one even bothered to x-ray them.

So they could just have been fractured, or cracked, or just badly bruised.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

JohnAskew wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote:

why? what happened?

Well don't just give us numbers, tell us the story of each breakage Smiley

Herbie

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Ion Todirel wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

I then broke my toe by kicking my brother. (I'm not that evil, really, but I hate him )

good kid, good kid

I only kicked him in the shin, not even hard Sad

He wouldn't get off my web designer magazine!

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

0, I've been pretty lucky.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Dr Herbie wrote:

JohnAskew wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote:

why? what happened?

Well don't just give us numbers, tell us the story of each breakage

Herbie
    yea! you too! especially the nose one Smiley

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

I did boxing & taekwondo for 7 years

Ive broken various parts of my body including

Ribs twice
    Coccix
    fingers
    toes
    Nose
    Femur
    Ankle

I thought ribs were the worse until i broke my coccix, over a year with not being able to sit down or stand up without severe pain is a killer Perplexed

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Ion Todirel wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

JohnAskew wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote:

why? what happened?

Herbie
    yea! you too! especially the nose one

OK.

Nose : I was about 8 or 9 years old and took a serious fall, face-first off a chair.  I was concussed so I don't remember what happened, but by childhood bully was present ... I spent the night in hospital and my bully laid off for a while.

Ankle: my brother and I were playing a game of jumping off the old WWII bomb shelter in the garden (brick building with a flat roof about 10 feet high.  I landed badly, with all my weight on my left foot which went down a hole.

Collar bone:  after training for a half-marathon I damaged one of my knees.  I was walking to work which was making it worse.  The doctor suggested cycling instead which was great until I fell off and fractured my collar bone. So then I had a limb and a sling.

Back : had back pain for several years, was getting worse at night.  X-ray shows  Spondylolisthesis which is where one of the vertebrae has slipped forward, leading to stress fractures in the bits that point out the back (it's the second example in this video).  I now have lots of abdominal exercises thanks to my friendly local physiotherapist.

Hebrie

• User profile image
    Bas

The threads here are getting weirder and weirder.

Anyway, none, and I'm quite thankful for that. I'm terrified of actually breaking something.

That said, when I was 5 years old or something, I fell on my arm in the very first PE class I ever had. It didn't break due to me being so young and flexible, but I had to wear some sort of cast.

I see that as a sign that I must never, ever get involved in anything resembling PE.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Dr Herbie wrote:

Herbie

Latest to earliest:

Rib - left side below pec - 2002
    (car wreck; I was T-boned, on-coming car at 60+mph -- very lucky)

Finger & 2 knuckles - 1980's
    (fighting; counting as one bone since fractures aren't being counted)

Skull - left eyebrow - 1979
    (sucker head-slammed after High School graduation)

Coccix - 1970's
    (I've no idea when it actually happened, couldn't sit right for a while)

Left Arm - both bones - 1968
    (fell off 25' slide when 7 years old on family vacation, Mom backed the VW bus into a tree hurrying to load me up for drive to Hospital.)

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Th winner should be the guy I met while at the physiotherapists: he had been out walking with his young daughter when a drunk-driver lost control of his car and ploughed into them.

This chap managed to push his daughter out of the way in time, but took the car full-on.  His left leg alone was broken into 27 different pieces.

(He also needed to be resuscitated 4 times in the ambulance and spent 4 months in a coma but they're not breaks so they don't count for points today).

He was surprisingly cheerful about it (I guess he's just happy to still be alive). Made me feel that a bit of back pain wasn't something to get upset about.

Herbie

PS: the driver got 12 years in prison, because he got back in his car a drove off.

• User profile image
    phreaks

The summer between 2nd and 3rd grade I went over to a friends house and we decided to go for a bicycle ride.

I had a brand new BMX bike and he had a 10 speed (he was a few years older than I).

His house was at the bottom of the steepest hill in the entire city.

We peddled up to the top of the hill and decided to trade bikes for the ride down.

So, my fist experience with a 10 speed, and I am careening at supersonic speeds down a steep hill!

We pull into his driveway and I suddenly and frantically realize that there are no brakes!

I keep trying to hit the brakes, but the peddles just keep going backwards. I didn't realize that 10 speeds have hand-brakes!

Realizing that there was no way to stop and the broad side of his house was racing quickly towards me, I placed my hands out in front of me, to brace myself for the impending impact!

Everything was a whirlwind of blurry confusion for a few moments, and then I got up, and I saw his bike. The front tire was actually behind the rear tire. I glanced up and saw a huge dent in the side of his house, where my crash had broken the siding.

Then I noticed my nose was bleeding, when I went to wipe it, I realized something else wasn't quite right.

My wrist was sticking out the side of my arm, and I couldn't move either of my hands.

I ran home and collapsed on my front-yard from shock.

I ended up with 2 broken wrists and a concussion, what a crappy way for a 10 year old to spend the summer.

Of course, that is also why my handwriting is so terribly illegible as well.

Since then, I've broken my wrist 3 more times, broken an ankle, 3 ribs, and fractured my jaw.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

five: 2 legs, 3 ribs

disclaimer: no bones were broken during the writing of this post...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.