Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Installed Vista SP1

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    LaBomba

PaoloM wrote:

phreaks wrote:
    I finally got in, I had to use FireFox though.

Am I really the only one having lots of issues with MS stuff lately?

You and jamie.

Are you sure those raybans you got aren't rose colored Paolo? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Skriker V1.0

My Hardware:

Asus Motherboard / Intel P35 Chipset
    Intel Pentium duel core 2600 (Core 2) overclocked to 3.3GHz
    4GB of OCZ DDR2
    2XSATA2 Hard drives in RAID 0 (Intel Storage)
    nVidia 8800GTS
    Onboard HD Audio

Vista x64 Ultimate runs great pre SP1 Smiley scores 5.7

Installed SP1, noticed significant speed increase during use

Have to say im loving Vista! Big Smile:D:D

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

My laptop Toshiba Portégé M200 is running fine... The only diffrence I've noticed at the moment is unzipping is faster... nothing broke so to speak.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Kryptos wrote:
    Just installed Vista SP1 RC... so far so good.. took approx 20mins to install.

Took me over an hour to install.

If we have all the Windows Updates, do we even need SP1?

Is there something else in there besides a rollup?

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

phreaks wrote:

It upgrades the kernel to the same as that of server 2k8 doesn't it?

• User profile image
    intelman

GoddersUK wrote:

phreaks wrote:

Yes it does.

I for one am loving SP1, there are a lot of speed tweaks....

I'm just waiting for the article to come out and say that Vista SP1 sucks, and was a waste of time...

• User profile image
    Bas

I'm excited. Is the release dat still 'early 2008' or is there something more specific yet?

• User profile image
    magicalclick

intelman wrote:

GoddersUK wrote:

phreaks wrote:

Yes it does.

I for one am loving SP1, there are a lot of speed tweaks....

I'm just waiting for the article to come out and say that Vista SP1 sucks, and was a waste of time...

What's the key feature from 2k8? One hour install is rather crazy.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

magicalclick wrote:

What's the key feature from 2k8? One hour install is rather crazy.

Faster and more reliable I think.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Apparently, SP1 Did fix at least some of my issues!

reinstalled flash (for the 500th time) and lo and behold, it works even after a restart!

It still fails javascript detection, but has worked on 100% of the actual sites so far.

Silverlight is working too (after reinstalling it)!

I'll have to give it a thorough diagnostic assessment later on and see if it fixed everything.  Smiley

• User profile image
    bjd223

Things I have noticed with SP1.

SP1 has greatly reduced the time it takes to calculate file copies. It has also increased file copy speeds, local machine file copies, and copies across a Local Area Network. ex - Copies from my desktop to laptop would usually go about 1.5 MB/S via wireless G. After both machines updated to SP1 the same files go about 2.4 MB/S. I have not compared wired speeds.

Things seems a tad snappier with SP1 installed on my x64 and x32 systems (Desktop and Laptop).

SP1 also seems to keep your custom folder views intact (so far). My pre SP1 systems would occasionally reset folder views back to default.

The 2K8 Kernel is a good thing. I'd imagine it is more reliable than a desktop varient.

SP1 seems to report memory values differently than RTM. ex - In my computer, it used to report 4096 MB Ram, now it says 4.0 GB RAM.

I have never received a BSOD in Vista (when I wasn't overclocking). So I can't speak about reliability as it applies to the release canidate. But I can say that none of the applications I was using, have stopped working.

My only complaint is x64's ability to cope with unsigned device drivers. With a new hotfix, and SP1 I'd imagine, you can not use the DDISBALE BCDEDIT trick to stop driver signing requirements.
    However, last time I checked, the setting to disable driver signing in gpedit is still there, but no longer works

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Driver Installation

"Code Signing For Device Drivers". It no longer works, and the last part of the description is incorrect. There is no "Driver Signing" button in the hardware tab anymore.

Please either make this setting work, or remove it, I don't like be tempted with settings I can't change.

-Brian

• User profile image
    jamie

hmm.. ive been thinking of loading it..  sounds worth while..

but i dont want it to stop working and force me to reload everything once it goes gold..

*unless it will just update itself  beta - to - gold - install? yes!

if that what it will do - ill load it

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie wrote:
    *unless it will just update itself  beta - to - gold - install? yes!

No it won't. You'd have to remove the old version then install the final version. That'll probably work fine, but it might not, it is a beta version after all.

Bottom line (I've said it before): don't install a beta unless you are willing to reinstall the machine.

They're betas, not trial versions, people.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Kryptos wrote:

My laptop Toshiba Portégé M200 is running fine... The only diffrence I've noticed at the moment is unzipping is faster... nothing broke so to speak.

M200? Running Vista? Quite weird mix... I had Vista on my previous M200... That's why I have M400 now... Smiley

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

Yea it runs, it's not too bad.

Thinking of getting apple and booting vista with os x

• User profile image
    Ted.dot

Unzipping in SP1 is still extremely slow: it would have taken 3 hours to unzip the VC samples zip that comes with Visual Studio 2008 on my Vista machine (5400 files).  But with WinRAR it took less than 10 seconds.   Very disappointed.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.