Coffeehouse Thread

110 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Giving up on Vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

That's it, I've finally had enough with Vista.

I will be uninstalling Vista on my home boxes and reverting back to XP & Win2k3 as soon as I get some free time to back up close to a terabyte of data. reformat 2 boxes, reinstall XP and then reinstall and configure all my apps.

After months of wasted time and frustration, I'm simply giving up.

I suspect my Vista registry is FUBAR'd, silverlight doesn't work, flash doesn't work, adobe acrobat PRO doesn't work. ASPx pages take 5 full minutes on the first run when launching from VS.NET, the list goes on and on and on.

3rd party components such as DevExpress and Infragistics are unable to create toolbox icons in VS.NET.... 

I don't have access to literally hundreds of registry keys, in fact, no one has access to them. Even psexec can't replace the rights on them since apparently they have NO Owner.

This is absolutely retarded, I have spent at least 30 full hours trying unsuccessfully to fix these issues, or to obtain support for them.

My Event Log wrote:

Product: Microsoft Silverlight -- Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\AgControl.AgControl.1.0\CLSID. System error 5. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

What a pain in my a$$.
    Microsoft, I'm not impressed; not at all.

• User profile image
    typemismatch

maybe wait for XP SP3 - then you get to go back to something better than what you left ....

• User profile image
    jamie

that's what ive been thinking too... sp3 makes xp faster than vista... and i like xp.. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    phreaks

When is SP3 for XP being released?

I can't convey how utterly disappointed I am with Vista.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

phreaks wrote:

I'm sorry you feel that way, especially since my own experience has been so completely different.

• User profile image
    Minh

Vista is a 1.0 product after all.

My experience has been mixed. I would say that it REALLY, REALLY helps to have Vista on "approved" hardware.

• User profile image
    Apogeum

Haven't even tried it yet, nor will I. As far as I am concerned XP does everything I need beautifully!

Also I need tools to work not toys. Vista is a toy (no offense). But I am really looking foward to explore Windows 2008 Server.

I hope Windows 7 will go with "less is more". Or maybe come with a special "japanese-garden-mode" quiet yet beautiful.

man, I must be getting old...

• User profile image
    phreaks

Sven Groot wrote:

phreaks wrote:

I'm sorry you feel that way, especially since my own experience has been so completely different.

Yea, I guess its hit or miss.

I suspect something went wrong with my install, because its been one issue after another and it's really unfortunate that it has gotten to this point; where it just doesn't make sense for me to continue losing time trying to work around registry rights issues.

I've tried hard to solicite feedback from MS regarding my problems using various avenues; but they just seem to ignore me.

After about 3 months, I think I've put enough of an effort in, I really wanted to like Vista.

All my hardware is Vista Approved, the one piece that wasn't, I replaced the day after I installed.

• User profile image
    phreaks

CompGuy101 wrote:

phreaks wrote:
    When is SP3 for XP being released?

It's out now! W00T!! I'm downloading it now from Windows Update.

Windows XP will always be my favorite OS!

What's XP SP3 all about anyway?

• User profile image
    LaBomba

I'm going to get an Asus EEEpc and put xp on it...with SP3, i'm sure it'll run great. Smiley

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

LaBomba wrote:
    I'm going to get an Asus EEEpc and put xp on it...with SP3, i'm sure it'll run great.

it would run great if the SDD didn't had a ~5mb/s performance and if the 1Ghz celeron CPU didn't perform way lower than expected

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

phreaks wrote:

I don't have access to literally hundreds of registry keys, in fact, no one has access to them. Even psexec can't replace the rights on them since apparently they have NO Owner.

It's not a permissions error. It looks like your registry got corrupted on disk, the cure for which is a reformat. If your registry dies then it's not really surprising that everything else dies pretty soon after.

This tends to happen if you kill your computer during a shutdown, or if you break your harddisk...

• User profile image
    Bas

littleguru wrote:
    Another point is that this registry thing needs to fixed in one way or another. It can't be that you need to reinstall your whole system, because one component failed. This is not possible!!

Isn't this kind of unavoidable? I mean, there's always going to be an essential component.

• User profile image
    littleguru

evildictaitor wrote:

phreaks wrote:

It's not a permissions error. It looks like your registry got corrupted on disk, the cure for which is a reformat. If your registry dies then it's not really surprising that everything else dies pretty soon after.

This tends to happen if you kill your computer during a shutdown, or if you break your harddisk...

That's what I thought too. Seems like a broken registry after all, which could also happen in XP.

But it's true that XP feels a lot faster than Vista. It's a lot more responsive, even after having installed SP1 on Vista... but some of this could also come from the transitions: like fading in each windows, fading out etc. But sure, not all comes from that. I noticed only after havin had XP and Vista installed side by side on my notebook. Vista seems to be slower, if you go back to XP. Even though I seem to have a pretty reasonable hardware and get 4.0 in Vista scores...

Another point is that this registry thing needs to fixed in one way or another. It can't be that you need to reinstall your whole system, because one component failed. This is not possible!!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

littleguru wrote:
    Back it up - hide that from the user! Make it better. Find ways...

Congratulations! You've just reinvented System Restore. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    littleguru

Sven Groot wrote:

littleguru wrote:
    Back it up - hide that from the user! Make it better. Find ways...

Congratulations! You've just reinvented System Restore.

soooo... why doesn't this work on his side? Looks like it doesn't work properly to me. You can disable system restore. The registry backup system should be critical and not possible to disable in any ways!

• User profile image
    littleguru

Bas wrote:

littleguru wrote:

Isn't this kind of unavoidable? I mean, there's always going to be an essential component.

Back it up - hide that from the user! Make it better. Find ways... I can't understand why the registry hasn't turned into an SQL database years ago.

Imagine you would fly in an airplane (since we are on c9 here) and the pilot would tell you: damn we can't do anything anymore. Our registry is broken...

• User profile image
    cheong

CompGuy101 wrote:

Microsofties, can we please have a changelog?

Here you are.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.