Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

executables bigger than 4gb can't be deleted on vista?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

could somebody please try to reproduce this?

just make a sfx archive bigger than 4gb with winrar and try deleting it to see if it works or not (it can't be deleted from explorer or command prompt)

I've seen this happening on 3 PCs with almost nothing installed but I don't know if I installed something that messed up vista or if it's just one of the many vista bugs

• User profile image
    magicalclick

I think it is your computer. My Vista PC backup file is over that amount easily. And I can see the backup file in my D drive.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

magicalclick wrote:
    I think it is your computer. My Vista PC backup file is over that amount easily. And I can see the backup file in my D drive.

is the backup file an executable? did you try copying it and deleting the copy?

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:

magicalclick wrote:

is the backup file an executable? did you try copying it and deleting the copy?

Copy and Paste a 4GB file? Poor DMA.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

just make a sfx archive bigger than 4gb with winrar and try deleting it to see if it works or not (it can't be deleted from explorer or command prompt)

This happened to me too, though I used 7-Zip.  After a while I happened to try to delete the file and it worked, though.

• User profile image
    cheong

Have you tried disable your virus scanner first?

I just got the thought that your poor onl-access scanner having difficulties trying to scan such a large executables, and somehow I think there's little possibily the antivirus vendors would expect the virus scanner to handle such a large EXE.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    phreaks

erase /f c:\filename.exe

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

cheong wrote:
    Have you tried disable your virus scanner first?

I just got the thought that your poor onl-access scanner having difficulties trying to scan such a large executables, and somehow I think there's little possibily the antivirus vendors would expect the virus scanner to handle such a large EXE.

I don't have any virus scanner installed so there's nothing apparently locking the file, not even explorer since I tried terminating it and deleting from another application with no success

phreaks wrote:
    erase /f c:\filename.exe

as I said those files can't be deleted from the command prompt either

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Try booting into Safe Mode (so no third party drivers etc), and then try. Sometimes kernel mode drivers make things weird on Vista.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

evildictaitor wrote:

Try booting into Safe Mode (so no third party drivers etc), and then try. Sometimes kernel mode drivers make things weird on Vista.

already tried; also on one of the PCs where I've tried to reproduce this issue had a clean vista install from the OEM cd (no third-party apps installed) so I don't think that third-party drivers have something to do with this

• User profile image
    littleguru

doh! I'm so lucky not to have 4GB+ sized executables Wink - still weird problem!

• User profile image
    ZippyV

evildictaitor wrote:

already tried; also on one of the PCs where I've tried to reproduce this issue had a clean vista install from the OEM cd (no third-party apps installed) so I don't think that third-party drivers have something to do with this

Even a more extreme possible solution: try to boot from the cd and use the recovery console, log in to your installation and then try to remove the file.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Boot into UBC and delete the file.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

er...if the problem only occurs on files that end in .exe, couldn't you just rename the file Smiley

• User profile image
    ZippyV

ScanIAm wrote:
    er...if the problem only occurs on files that end in .exe, couldn't you just rename the file

That's not complicated enough! Mad

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

phreaks wrote:
    Boot into UBC and delete the file.

that is not a decent alternative because I create those archives very often (almost daily)

ZippyV wrote:
    That's not complicated enough!

I can't rename them either, the files are locked by the OS

• User profile image
    AndyC

I can't rename them either, the files are locked by the OS

Have you checked to see what has them locked using filemon? I'd have also suspected a virus scanner, but it may be Windows Defender.

• User profile image
    Soviut

I guess you could always open the archive, delete stuff from it until its small enough, then delete the file itself.

Sucks if you have to do this frequently though.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.