Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Going to MIX 08?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Larsenal

Apparently, the $200 discount is being extended due to "popular demand."  Sounds a bit fishy, but it's good news for those who haven't jumped in yet.

For anyone who's gone in years past, is it worth attending?  Honestly?

• User profile image
    irascian

Not been in years past, but am booked for this one.

I imagine it will follow the formula of most of these events (TechEd, PDC etc) albeit on a smaller (more intimate?) scale - a good chance to network and get re-enthused, especially about future stuff away from the dreary day job, but probably not great value for money if your main reason for attending is training (the conference itself is reasonably priced but the hotel, even discounted, is extortionate).

• User profile image
    longzheng

I'm trying with all my wit to get sponsored (by Microsoft) to go to MIX this year because it doesn't clash with my exams. However it doesn't seem to be going well.

The plane ticket is just a few limbs over $2000 alone so it's not something I want to dish out by myself. Add that to Vegas hotel prices and I could have got myself a MacBook Air with SSD. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

longzheng wrote:
    I'm trying with all my wit to get sponsored (by Microsoft) to go to MIX this year because it doesn't clash with my exams. However it doesn't seem to be going well.

The plane ticket is just a few limbs over $2000 alone so it's not something I want to dish out by myself. Add that to Vegas hotel prices and I could have got myself a MacBook Air with SSD.

If you give me the details, I've give a whole penny towards your cause over PayPal.

Big Smile

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Charles

I'll be there... It should be great! The last two years sure have been.

Come to Vegas, Niners!

C

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Ooh, Ballmer keynote!

But, besides that...

here wrote:
    Developers can dive deep into the latest Microsoft Web technologies, including Silverlight, Internet Explorer 8, "Atlas"/AJAX, ASP.NET, Windows Cardspace, the Windows Presentation Foundation, Windows Media and others. Want to learn how to code pages for IE8 that render properly in other popular browsers? Interested in building AJAX sites quickly and efficiently?

Here's to hoping there's a public beta released at Mix.

• User profile image
    irascian

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Ooh, Ballmer keynote!

But, besides that...

Here's to hoping there's a public beta released at Mix.

I think that's pretty much 100% guaranteed (although they might call it an "alpha" or "CTP" or some such nonsense).

My money's on Silverlight 2.0 beta and go live license also being announced.

Any other guesses? Place your bets here.

The irony is that the non-attendees usually get this stuff first anyway. It's all prepared and launched around the time the keynote gets delivered but of course attendees are stuck in sessions with appaling conference wireless access while the rest of the world accesses whatever's been launched via Broadband. Such is the power of the internet.

• User profile image
    longzheng

Turns turned out pretty good, looks like I'll be at MIX! Big Smile

• User profile image
    odujosh

I am not sure what deals they have going this year last year they gave:
    -Windows Vista (Ultimate)
    -Expression Studio
    -Visual Studio 2005 Professional
    -Some training CDs including a recording of a week long WPF boot camp held in redmond.

The food was really good. Great networking, sat in the same session as Hanselman, Adam Kinney and got to hear Jeff Atwood ask questions during a Q&A and play guitar hero on expert.

The Sandbox was actually very helpful. If they could make all the handouts and labs freely available a month or two afterwards in a central locale that would be useful.

The sessions were recorded. But it was more about meeting people, sandboxing and Vegas. All in all not a bad 3 day conference.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.