Coffeehouse Thread

43 posts

Windows 7 in 2009?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

Via Bink.nu

Apperently and early build was shipped to key partners. Is there any truth in this?

(certainly wasn't on shipping seven Tongue Out)

• User profile image
    Koogle

2009 couldn't come soon enough then... I can't imagine a Vista Sp2 being of anygood, might aswel just skip it based on a lackluster Sp1.

Better to get Windows 7 right at least Smiley

• User profile image
    compugab

It will probably be release in 2009 as much as Vista was supposed to be release in 2004.

Personally, Vista is all right to me. Cool

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Koogle wrote:
    ...based on a lackluster Sp1.

Uh? What don't you like about SP1? Why is it "lackluster"?

• User profile image
    jamie

..an absence of ..fun?  (blue theme!) Wink

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jamie wrote:
    ..an absence of ..fun?  (blue theme!)

I didn't know service packs were supposed to be fun Smiley

So, I guess XP SP2 was like Kids in the Hall, eh? Big Smile

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Damn, sometimes I miss Canada Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

you have to admit - from what we all know about sp1 - it fixes things.  and thats..pretty much it.

perhaps though.. after all the "vocal minority" complaints... there could have been some Crackerjack "surprise  inside"  (..more canada Wink )

you know.. to add just a bit of ...wow?

• User profile image
    KevinB

2009 is 3 years after Vista, so that sounds like a realistic time-frame to me.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

jamie wrote:
    you have to admit - from what we all know about sp1 - it fixes things.  and thats..pretty much it.

perhaps though.. after all the "vocal minority" complaints... there could have been some Crackerjack "surprise  inside"  (..more canada )

Fixing things is all a service pack is supposed to do (and all a service pack has ever done, with the exception of XP SP2).  You're spoiled by XP SP2, which had an unusual number of changes visible to the user (new Wireless Zero Config, IE security changes, etc.).

• User profile image
    KevinB

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

jamie wrote:

perhaps though.. after all the "vocal minority" complaints... there could have been some Crackerjack "surprise  inside"  (..more canada )

Fixing things is all a service pack is supposed to do (and all a service pack has ever done, with the exception of XP SP2).  You're spoiled by XP SP2, which had an unusual number of changes visible to the user (new Wireless Zero Config, IE security changes, etc.).

Couldn't agree more. XP SP2 was far more a new revision of the OS than 98 SE was. Allchin should be thanked (if it was him) that made sure that XP SP2 was a free update.

Kevin

• User profile image
    jamie

service pack 2 had nothing i liked.

sorry.

Edit: you know if ms made making your own themes easy - id totally understand the only one theme rule (of late)

but they make it too hard.. and then offer no themes..

im aware it is a service pack ...

perhaps im just thinking of what i would do:  here's sp1 - oh ya - theres an office 12 blue theme in there.. you know for waiting an hour... downloading... installing...rebooting...

• User profile image
    jamie

98se - was a release - and imho the best of the 16bit win32 versions of windows

xp - sp2:   all this meant to me was all the user centric default settings for networking / windows were locked down = harder. there was nothing in sp2 i liked.

especially the removal of nashville (ie / e net or local)

* you can say im wrong - but the fact remains: i did not like anything sp2 added / did.

perhaps adding a firewall was good.  ok.

• User profile image
    jamie

forgive me if im wrong but didnt 98se add ie4/nashville in to the install directly?

= feature

• User profile image
    KevinB

jamie wrote:
    98se - was a release - and imho the best of the 16bit win32 versions of windows

xp - sp2:   all this meant to me was all the user centric default settings for networking / windows were locked down = harder. there was nothing in sp2 i liked.

especially the removal of nashville (ie / e net or local)

Very little changed between 98 and 98 SE. Very few UI changes (which I guess is what you are looking) and not a whole lot of new features.

XP SP2 was worth it for the security audit they did, plus all the Wireless stuff they added, and probably a million other things I am forgetting as it has been so long since i used XP pre SP2

EDIT : I don't disagree with you really, I completely see where you are coming from. I just think SP2 was a pretty significant update and if they had changed the UI around a bit, it was as much a new 'release' of Windows as Windows 98 SE was.

• User profile image
    KevinB

jamie wrote:
    forgive me if im wrong but didnt 98se add ie4/nashville in to the install directly?

= feature

I thought 98 did that from the get go? Time for some google methinks.

EDIT: Wikipedia says IE4 was in 98 from the get-go and 98 SE added IE5 (free update for 98 users) and the only real feature i can see that was added in 98 SE, which is how I remember it also, was Internet Connection Sharing.

• User profile image
    longzheng

I tend to avoid speculating about release dates and such for the reason this is entirely speculative and could change any second. It sets a false sense of expectation when in fact release dates can and do change all the time in Windows releases. It's not good for Microsoft, its not good for enthusiasts and customers.

Having said, I am guilty of doing it on a few occassions (ex. SP1) but that's only when I make sure everyone knows its a guess, or I'm quite confident. I'm going to try my best to avoid it in the future. Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

http://kb.iu.edu/data/agli.html

your right. 98 had the integration .. 98se was basically bug fixes
    (although i still think that was the pinnacle of 16bit win)

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.