Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Anybody have "Switcher" Moments?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I watched Jobs' Keynote two nights ago with my wife, and as It progressed I felt the urge get stronger and stronger to switch from PC to Mac.

It wasn't just the Mac though, it was the AppleTV Take2, the Time Capsule, Wireless backups, etc.

So during the Keynote, I have the overwhelming urge to switch, but then after it, as a day passes, I'm back to normal Smiley

Anybody else get the same feeling whilst watching a Jobs Keynote?

I blame subliminal messages! Smiley

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

He has a Reality Distortion Field...  it's dangerous to stay around him too long.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

It's Jobs' Reality Distortion Field -- it even works through the internets!

Wear a tin-foil hat.  That'll stop it Big Smile

Herbie

• User profile image
    phreaks

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I watched Jobs' Keynote two nights ago with my wife, 

Man, you work fast. Cool

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Perhaps you should switch.

I mean a truly intuitive and consistent UI with a great set of applications and services? What more could you want?

• User profile image
    Swiz

I saw the video on the Air, and i immiediatley thought; Dual boot. Smiley

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Keep in mind that Steve is only showing the best parts... and that he is a genius in marketing!

• User profile image
    dahat

Nay... largely because I cannot afford such a switch.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

ManipUni wrote:
    Perhaps you should switch.

I mean a truly intuitive and consistent UI with a great set of applications and services? What more could you want?

...to not spend ridiculous amounts of money for shiny toys Smiley $1,700 for the Air - you gotsa be kiddin' meh Smiley

"Yes, that's right folks. We've used less hardware, gave you less screen, and at a higher price! Want to run a CD? Buy our external CD drive for even more money! Want to attach more than one USB device? Buy one of our iHubs for even more money! Tired of pressing the right arrow button on your PC to view the next picture? Well now you can place three fingers on a touch pad and drag them all to the left. Sure, it requires more effort and energy, and is slower, but it's easier!"

Meh, it's all superficially sexy - but after a while, I think "Wow, what a ripoff" Smiley

• User profile image
    intelman

I've had a switcher moment, I regret my purchase of my Dell Inspiron 1520. Horrible quality. I wish I would have bought a Macbook Pro...but being a student I can't like blow my money on another notebook anytime soon, probably not until I graduate, which is another 4 years. I am just very disappointed with a laptop that has paint wearing off, flimsy plastic panels, and the stupid charger plug that is loose, unlike Apple's magnetic charging port...

I have a strong urge to go to Apple, I would if I had the money...I would put Vista on it using bootcamp as well.

Saddly, I'm stuck in the world that is Dell and Windows, that makes me sad.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

jsampsonPC wrote:
     "Yes, that's right folks. We've used less hardware, gave you less screen, and at a higher price! Want to run a CD? Buy our external CD drive for even more money!

That isn't fair. Mobile computing has always been about: 

1) Longevity (Power / Battery) 
    2) Size / Weight 
    3) Functionality

What Apple have done is take a few features out of their MacBook line in order to reduce both the size and weight. 

The only thing that really kills the concept for me is longevity. I mean an impossible to replace battery that lasts no longer than a Macbook?

The No.1 issue for MOST mobile users these days is simply up-time. That and batteries that only seem to give you a "full life" once before diminishing in capacity dramatically.

• User profile image
    Minh

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I watched Jobs' Keynote two nights ago with my wife
    Wait... what? When did you get married?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Minh wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I watched Jobs' Keynote two nights ago with my wife
    Wait... what? When did you get married?

Christmas Eve, 2007.

• User profile image
    Rossj

jsampsonPC wrote:

...to not spend ridiculous amounts of money for shiny toys $1,700 for the Air - you gotsa be kiddin' meh

The other small notebooks of a similar size are a similar price, so why not? Even with the optical drive it is cheaper than some.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Rossj wrote:
    The other small notebooks of a similar size are a similar price, so why not? Even with the optical drive it is cheaper than some.

The table is nice but the summary is silly. He concludes that CPU, Ram, and 3D graphics are the most important features in a small form factor laptop? Could he miss the point anymore?

You can tell he's not someone who actually tries to use and carry around a laptop.

The article is a nice advert for the Toshiba Portege R500 though. I mean for $200 more you get a lighter laptop with 3 hours more life on a replacable battery.

• User profile image
    stevo_

They were turning the TV's off, but its arguable as to that being jerky or not.. I thought it was quite funny, but aparently it happens every year from some group or another..

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.