Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

(relatively) cheap UMPC with 1024x600+ resolution. is there any?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

I bought the 299$ EEE PC a few weeks ago and after installing XP on it I found out it is unusable both because its celeron/SSD drive are too slow (slow boot, even with hybernation, and apps like office taking ages to load) and because the screen has a very low resolution, 800x480, that is not enough to view most websites and many applications windows/dialogs won't even fit on such a low res. now I've just finished setting it up for a better use as a little router and file/print server (it consumes a lot less power than a desktop PC or a recent laptop so it's perfect as a little home server).

does somebody know if there's any cheap UMPC coming out that has at least a 1024x600 resolution and that isn't prohibitively expensive (not more than 900$)?

• eagle
  • LaBomba

I layed off the Asus EEE pc, phew! Smiley

• YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

blehbleh wrote:
    No idéa about your question but I have one about your PC... does it have a fan? If not, so it has ZERO moving parts?

I mostly listen to radio with my PC, pondering to buy one of those, or perhaps build a small fanless one with VIA CPUs.

it has only 3 fans, one of the PSU that is turned on only when on load (assisted fanless), one for the HDDs cage and one for the processor. all 3 fans are very quiet and I've also bought a chassis with acustic dampening material both on the side panels and the HDD cage (Cooler Master Cosmos) so the noise is almost imperceptible. when I had the Stacker 830 chassis I was keeping the PC case in an acoustic dampened wooden box under the table that could be closed (not on the back side) because of the annoying HDDs buzz noise but since I got the Cosmos I never used it anymore, now it's much more silent.

• Nitz Walsh

eagle wrote:

Wow.  The new Origami interface is very attractive - anyone know what it's written in?  Is it WPF?

Edit: Uh, how "relative" is "relatively cheap"?  I don't think $1500 really fits the bill.  Those prices have got to get below $1000 for the UMPC to become a viable second machine/multimedia device in the market.

• YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

eagle wrote:

the OQO and the Q1 ultra are way too expensive just like the Sony UX. I won't ever pay 1200$ for a 900mhz celeron or almost fast via C7 since with the same money I could get a laptop with a T7800, 4gb of ram and a 8600gt

• web2

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:

eagle wrote:
    OQO

Samsung Q1 Ultra UMPC

Windows Vista UMPC

the OQO and the Q1 ultra are way too expensive just like the Sony UX. I won't ever pay 1200$ for a 900mhz celeron or almost fast via C7 since with the same money I could get a laptop with a T7800, 4gb of ram and a 8600gt

from where can i get a laptop with 4gb ram and 8600gt v card at 1200usd?

• Bas

If this device from LG is available at around $800, I'm definitely picking it up. It's rumored to cost 'less than the OQO', but I have no idea what their sources are. 4.8 inch 1024 x 600 touchscreen though.. and it runs Vista.

Apparently it's Canada, Asia and Europe only, though, so you may have to import if you're in the US.

• YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

web2 wrote:

from where can i get a laptop with 4gb ram and 8600gt v card at 1200usd?

the acer 5920G/AS5920 has a model that mounts a t7700/t7800, 4GB of ram and a 8800GT. now it's being discounted (up to 25%) along with other laptops because penryn laptops are coming out in a few days. I bought one for my friend for one of my friends just 1049€ (including taxes) and it was 1 month and half ago. it's also one of the few laptops that mounts vista ultimate and also has an (not anymore useful) HDDVD drive.

I can't seem to find that series on american websites I find only UK and AUS results only maybe it's not sold there?

• YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

Bas wrote:
    If this device from LG is available at around $800, I'm definitely picking it up. It's rumored to cost 'less than the OQO', but I have no idea what their sources are. 4.8 inch 1024 x 600 touchscreen though.. and it runs Vista.

Apparently it's Canada, Asia and Europe only, though, so you may have to import if you're in the US.

from the photos I've seen like the one on this page it seems to have a 800x480 resolution.

• andy_hanger​18

I bought the 299$ EEE PC a few weeks ago and after installing XP on it I found out it is unusable both because its celeron/SSD drive are too slow (slow boot, even with hybernation, and apps like office taking ages to load) and because the screen has a very low resolution, 800x480, that is not enough to view most websites and many applications windows/dialogs won't even fit on such a low res.

I gotta ask the question here ... did you not look at the spec of the device and think  that only having a screen height of 480 may give you hassles running large GUI applications? You did notice that they only have a 900Mhz processor?

Personally I think these devices are quite good for their price. I wouldn't class them as a laptop competitor. They fit the gap between PDA (too small to be of any use in my opinion) and laptop.

I have just got one for work. I use mine to run test apps on mainly. Wireshark for monitoring networks etc. I sometimes get involved in embedded software so I can write my own little test apps and run them on there. Its nice and portable ... easily fits in my handbag (errr, I mean man-bag).

They're certainly not "unusable" as you suggest. I just think you were execting too much from them.

• TommyCarlier

Joey's Man-bag

• andy_hanger​18

TommyCarlier wrote:
    Joey's Man-bag

LOL. Thats the exact scene I was thinking of when I wrote my comment

• eagle

Noahpad UMPC, saw this demo at CES.

CloudBook - $399 from Everex

and the MTube

• YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

blehbleh wrote:
    no no wait... I meant the "EEE PC" , sorry I forgot the "EEE" I think.

unfortunately it does have a fan but you can barely hear it

andy_hanger18 wrote:

I gotta ask the question here ... did you not look at the spec of the device and think  that only having a screen height of 480 may give you hassles running large GUI applications? You did notice that they only have a 900Mhz processor?

yes I looked at the specs and they seemed quite acceptable to me because I've installed XP on quite old systems like Pentium 3s and tried other UMPCs like the Q1 (same CPU) and they performed pretty well. I wouldn't have expected the EEE to be so much slower.

I also thought most sites had still 800x600 versions since there's still about 10% of computers that browse websites with that low resolution but it looks like I was wrong Sad

andy_hanger18 wrote:

Personally I think these devices are quite good for their price. I wouldn't class them as a laptop competitor. They fit the gap between PDA (too small to be of any use in my opinion) and laptop.

the EEE PC with 4GB is not very good for its price. the everex cloudbook that has a 30GB hard drive, a 1.2GHz Via CPU, DVI out (you can connect it to a HDTV), a quasi-decent videocard with video acceleration for WMV/MPEG2/MPEG4 (divx/xvid), a 1.3MP webcam and a 4-in-1 card reader costs the same and there's a lot more bang for the buck. unfortunately it's sold only in America Sad

there's also the Nokia N810 PDA for 50$ more that is much smaller with same resolution, 256mb of ram, a 330mhz OMAP CPU, 2gb of space (+MMC slot) and you can install KDE on it and have most if not all the EEE PC applications running.

if they really wanted to fill the GAP they could have used a better desktop resolution like 1024x600 that could have allowed people to view websites and run most desktop applications: if the problem was the small text size that's what DPI scaling is for. other UMPC producers realized it and have started putting 1024x600 screens on models but sadly they're still quite expensive, far more expensive than high-end laptops.

andy_hanger18 wrote:

I have just got one for work. I use mine to run test apps on mainly. Wireshark for monitoring networks etc. I sometimes get involved in embedded software so I can write my own little test apps and run them on there. Its nice and portable ... easily fits in my handbag (errr, I mean man-bag).

They're certainly not "unusable" as you suggest. I just think you were execting too much from them.

what I meant is that they are unusable with full installs of windows or linux distros. if you use their own software that is tailored for that hardware they're surely very easy to use.

• Lloyd_Humph

I'm definately waiting. My hype over the EEE PC was very premature.

Just look at the past few days on Engadget, there're new EEE style laptops popping up *everywhere*.

I for one welcome the Shuttle KPC and the Mirus $199 systems.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • andy_hanger​18

I also thought most sites had still 800x600 versions since there's still about 10% of computers that browse websites with that low resolution but it looks like I was wrong

You can see zoom in IE7 to see the pages a little better. Not ideal, but better.

if they really wanted to fill the GAP they could have used a better desktop resolution like 1024x600 that could have allowed people to view websites and run most desktop applications

I don't disagree with you there but I would expect the next model to address this issue.

• Lloyd_Humph

Unrelated, but...

Linky

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.