Coffeehouse Thread

62 posts

VS2008 Launch UK : registration open

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I just got the email for the UK (Birmingham) launch of VS2008, SQL2008 and Windows2008, registration link is:

https://msevents.microsoft.com/cui/eventdetail.aspx?culture=en-gb&eventid=1032366502&lc=1033

Herbie

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Registered

• User profile image
    eblonk

Found nothing scheduled in The Netherlands [C]

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Dr Herbie wrote:
    I just got the email for the UK (Birmingham) launch of VS2008, SQL2008 and Windows2008, registration link is:

https://msevents.microsoft.com/cui/eventdetail.aspx?culture=en-gb&eventid=1032366502&lc=1033

Herbie

You speak the truth, I received my email too.

Ooooh, since so many of us are going, shall we arrange a little meet-up before or during the event?

And which shirt should I wear? You decide!

• "I don't work here"
    • "There are 10 types of people..."
    • "Maybe if this shirt is witty enough, someone will finally love me"
    • LaplaceTransform[ <3 ] "My usual approach is useless here"

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

W3bbo wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

Herbie

You speak the truth, I received my email too.

Ooooh, since so many of us are going, shall we arrange a little meet-up before or during the event?

T-shirt?  I think you've got plenty of time to make a full-body C9-Guy suit ... Tongue Out

But yes.  I'm prepared to break my personal code and actually meet live people from the interwebs ...

I would have though lunch would be the time to meet, but where?

Herbie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Dr Herbie wrote:
    I would have though lunch would be the time to meet, but where?

At the VS05 event "Lunch" was free gourmet Italian pasta dishes in the main hall.

Same thing at the DDD thing only a few months prior, but after that they reduced the budgets and served brown bag'd sandwiches, so it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft toned down the budget for VS08. It's not as though it's as "revolutionary".

....we still get free copies of VS08 Pro, right?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

W3bbo wrote:

I'm not going to bank on it (prefer to be pessimistic and then I'll be happier if we get it, and less upset if we don't).

It's only costing me a day's holiday and £8.80 train ticket, so it's not like I've lost much.
    Plus there should be some interesting presentations, which might make up for the cost of the train ticket Smiley

Herbie

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Its going to cost me a days money + petrol Sad

Hopefully it will be a good event, would be good to meet up with some C9 guys Cool

• User profile image
    Jaz

see you all there

• User profile image
    irascian

W3bbo wrote:
     it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft toned down the budget for VS08. It's not as though it's as "revolutionary".

It's NOT just about VS08 (in fact I suspect that may get least prominence) - Win Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 are the highlight items.

And since they're only holding the event in Birmingham, with no London or Manchester launch, I think that's the budget slashed right there!

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

See y'all there!

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    webmonkey

I'll be there.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:

W3bbo wrote:
     it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft toned down the budget for VS08. It's not as though it's as "revolutionary".

It's NOT just about VS08 (in fact I suspect that may get least prominence) - Win Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 are the highlight items.

Yeahyeah, but I'm still there for VS08, and the chance to berate someone over the "Vista-menus-on-XP" issue.

irascian wrote:
    And since they're only holding the event in Birmingham, with no London or Manchester launch, I think that's the budget slashed right there!

No different than last time, there wasn't a Manchester one in 2005.

• User profile image
    irascian

W3bbo wrote:

Yeahyeah, but I'm still there for VS08, and the chance to berate someone over the "Vista-menus-on-XP" issue.

Yeah, yeah, but the event ISN'T all about you! Tongue Out

W3bbo wrote:

No different than last time, there wasn't a Manchester one in 2005.

My bad, but the point still stands. 2005 launch took place in at least 3 places as I recall (was the other one Scotland perhaps?) whereas this time it's just one -> reduced costs = budget reduction.

Truth is what do Microsoft lose by giving away VS2008? A few MSDN subscriptions maybe? Most people who go for the freebie wouldn't have been prepared to pay for it anyway. Those who rely on it for their job will either have got their company to buy it for them or purchased their own copy by then anyway.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:
    Truth is what do Microsoft lose by giving away VS2008? A few MSDN subscriptions maybe?

I've been told of a number of cases where Microsoft reps deliberately turned a blind eye towards blatent unauthorised copying and installations of Visual Studio.

...all so it pushes Windows sales, yep.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Registered. Not sure why, but maybe server 2008 will shock me into being interested again.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:
    Registered. Not sure why, but maybe server 2008 will shock me into being interested again.

Ask the reps how well it runs on X Serve hardware.

• User profile image
    stevo_

I'd love to goto this..

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.