Coffeehouse Thread

62 posts

VS2008 Launch UK : registration open

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    webmonkey

Does anyone know what this is all about?

Developer Registration

Note: It is important that you register correctly as it will not be possible to change tracks on site.

If in doubt please call the registration hotline on 0870 166 6640.

I just went to see if there was any info about the sessions and noticed the above on the registration page, I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I registered and there's no where to choose a 'track'?

Perplexed

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Oh... interesting find. Because in 2005 you had to choose seminar tracks.

Can you call up the number tomorrow and see what they say?

• User profile image
    webmonkey

W3bbo wrote:

It makes sense you would with all 3 products rolled into 1 day.

I'll try and ring them tomorrow.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

webmonkey wrote:

Ta! I'd do it myself but I don't get home until 1830h.

• User profile image
    apwcodemonk​ey

irascian wrote:

W3bbo wrote:
     it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft toned down the budget for VS08. It's not as though it's as "revolutionary".

....we still get free copies of VS08 Pro, right?

It's NOT just about VS08 (in fact I suspect that may get least prominence) - Win Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 are the highlight items.

And since they're only holding the event in Birmingham, with no London or Manchester launch, I think that's the budget slashed right there!

The reasoning behind using Birmingham as the launch location is more to do with not holding all large events in London and Reading (TVP).  Based on feedback MS are trying to respond to feedback and move events around the country.  It is great to see large scale events move out of the Capital.

There are to be some form of local launch events too through local usergroups and other MS activities. 

• User profile image
    W3bbo

webmonkey wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

Any luck?

• User profile image
    webmonkey

W3bbo wrote:

webmonkey wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

Any luck?

I didn't get round to ringing yesterday, but having just received the MSDN Flash newsletter it looks like we're ok.

There are two different registration pages, so if you've registered to event 1032366502 that's the dev and 1032366501 is for IT pros.

Don't take my word for it though!

The info has also been put up http://www.microsoft.com/uk/heroeshappenhere/events/itdev.mspx

Smiley

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

webmonkey wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

webmonkey wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

Any luck?

I didn't get round to ringing yesterday, but having just received the MSDN Flash newsletter it looks like we're ok.

There are two different registration pages, so if you've registered to event 1032366502 that's the dev and 1032366501 is for IT pros.

Don't take my word for it though!

The info has also been put up http://www.microsoft.com/uk/heroeshappenhere/events/itdev.mspx

Ooh, look:

The Link wrote:

In addition, all attendees will receive a promotional package containing all three products and other giveaways.

Charles:  perhaps you should get in there and make sure C9-guys are added to the goody-bag.  That'll generate a rash of new 9ers. Smiley

Herbie

• User profile image
    irascian

Dr Herbie wrote:

Charles:  perhaps you should get in there and make sure C9-guys are added to the goody-bag.  That'll generate a rash of new 9ers.

Herbie

A rash? You make it sound like something unpleasant.

But I don't see this would achieve much. There have been enough figures doled out at different events and I'm constantly meeting people who say they visit Channel 9 but are never seen on the forums.

I am insanely jealous of these folks - I think their absence from here might mean that they actually have lives!

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

irascian wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

Charles:  perhaps you should get in there and make sure C9-guys are added to the goody-bag.  That'll generate a rash of new 9ers.

Herbie

But I don't see this would achieve much. There have been enough figures doled out at different events and I'm constantly meeting people who say they visit Channel 9 but are never seen on the forums.

I am insanely jealous of these folks - I think their absence from here might mean that they actually have lives!

Burn the heretic!  Channel 9 is life!

Herbie

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Dr Herbie wrote:

irascian wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

Herbie

Herbie

Absolutely!

What's happening with a meetup? probably too soon to say anything for definate though Tongue Out

edit: With the tracks thing; what does IT Pro entail? I want to get the free stuff; would I get it there? It's where I'm probably more suited, I'm hardly the developer type at the moment.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    webmonkey

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

irascian wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

Herbie

Herbie

Absolutely!

What's happening with a meetup? probably too soon to say anything for definate though

edit: With the tracks thing; what does IT Pro entail? I want to get the free stuff; would I get it there? It's where I'm probably more suited, I'm hardly the developer type at the moment.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/heroeshappenhere/events/itprof.mspx

Seems you would get the same free stuff.

Is this likely to be full unrestricted versions of all three pieces of software? That's one hell of a giveaway.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

webmonkey wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

irascian wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

Herbie

Herbie

Absolutely!

What's happening with a meetup? probably too soon to say anything for definate though

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/heroeshappenhere/events/itprof.mspx

Seems you would get the same free stuff.

Is this likely to be full unrestricted versions of all three pieces of software? That's one hell of a giveaway.

There is a difference between the two events, right? Tongue Out

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    blowdart

webmonkey wrote:

It was last time.

Oh and, errr, yea.

• User profile image
    Rossj

blowdart wrote:
    Oh and, errr, yea.

Does this mean I have to go to the launch event in my power-ranger costume?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rossj wrote:

blowdart wrote:
    Oh and, errr, yea.

Yes, a few of us have been talking about costumes. *sigh*

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:

blowdart wrote:
    Oh and, errr, yea.

....where do you say what track you're on? I think I've now booked myself in twice now. Argh.

• User profile image
    andy_hanger​18

I've just registered for this and have got my confirmation.

I've never been to one of these things before. What sort of things happen? Do you go to a room, sit down then listen to a speaker. When finished goto another and listen to another speaker. I really don't have a clue what to expect. Any insight from someone would be great.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.