Coffeehouse Thread

62 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VS2008 Launch UK : registration open

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

andy_hanger18 wrote:
    What sort of things happen?

1. Sign in. 2. Go to pub 3. Come back for the prizes 4. Profit!

• User profile image
    andy_hanger​18

Rossj wrote:

Really! I'm excited now. Can I sign up twice Wink

• User profile image
    W3bbo

andy_hanger18 wrote:

I've just registered for this and have got my confirmation.

I've never been to one of these things before. What sort of things happen? Do you go to a room, sit down then listen to a speaker. When finished goto another and listen to another speaker. I really don't have a clue what to expect. Any insight from someone would be great.

Everyone mooches around until the intro ceremony in the main audotorium, a Very Big Room. Until then everyone either on their way or stuffing down the complimentary danish pastries in the other Big Room used for no other purpose.

After the introduction you then make your way off to the first seminar in your track. You'll be provided with a fold-up map with a list of room numbers which correspond with the room numbers on your seminar list.

Repeat twice until Lunch time, then everyone squeezes into the Big Room for free fine italian foodage and networking.

Then back to the seminars another 3 times, then you have an outro in the Very Big Room. As you leave the audotorium you're given one (1) piece of paper with a unique number on and a URL.

When you get home, you go onto the Internets and visit the URL on said piece of paper, enter your unique number and delivery address, allow up to 28 days for delivery then have fun with your new looks-crap-on-XP Visual Studio IDE.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

andy_hanger18 wrote:

Rossj wrote:

Really! I'm excited now. Can I sign up twice

The glory is; I get to take my dad with me, so he gets stuff too!

Anybody want to switch Visual Studio 08, Server 08 and SQL 08 for something shiny?

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    andy_hanger​18

W3bbo wrote:
    Everyone mooches around until the intro ceremony in the main audotorium, a Very Big Room. Until then everyone either on their way or stuffing down the complimentary danish pastries in the other Big Room used for no other purpose.

After the introduction you then make your way off to the first seminar in your track. You'll be provided with a fold-up map with a list of room numbers which correspond with the room numbers on your seminar list.

Repeat twice until Lunch time, then everyone squeezes into the Big Room for free fine italian foodage and networking.

Then back to the seminars another 3 times, then you have an outro in the Very Big Room. As you leave the audotorium you're given one (1) piece of paper with a unique number on and a URL.

When you get home, you go onto the Internets and visit the URL on said piece of paper, enter your unique number and delivery address, allow up to 28 days for delivery then have fun with your new looks-crap-on-XP Visual Studio IDE.

Thanks for that. Free food and free stuff. Should be an interesting day. And maybe I'll bump into some niners

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CompGuy101 wrote:
    Lloyd, how are you able to go to these? Don't you have school? I wish I was able to skip school to go to an event!

His school isn't the type that's going to be concerned if you miss a day, especially if it's for something constructive like this.

My college had no problem spending 3 days of the work-week in LA or on other trips.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

W3bbo wrote:

CompGuy101 wrote:
    Lloyd, how are you able to go to these? Don't you have school? I wish I was able to skip school to go to an event!

His school isn't the type that's going to be concerned if you miss a day, especially if it's for something constructive like this.

My college had no problem spending 3 days of the work-week in LA or on other trips.

Not to mention I have the head in my back pocket; plus my mum doesn't mind.

I can't wait Smiley

It does however mean I have to get up at 5 to get onto the M-whatever and down to B'mingham by 8:30.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

CompGuy101 wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

CompGuy101 wrote:

I wish my school was like that. They freak out if you miss a day.

Lloyd, is your school public or private?

W3bbo, I've heard that colleges don't care what you do since you're paying for it.

Public school; the usual. It's actually quite good; it compares really well with the nearest Private school. However, it has it's downfalls - plenty of bullies but in a way I suppose that only toughens you up for other stuff. And generally year 9 *are* the bullies now (AKA me, muahaha) so the problems gone for me. I may be small... but I have big friends Smiley

btw: send me an email and I'll add you on msn. You're less of a jerk now Tongue Out (no offence)

Last modified
  • User profile image
    ben2004uk

Registered.  Looking forward to it.  Meet up would be good...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CompGuy101 wrote:

Take note: in the UK, a "public school" is actually a very exclusive privately run educational establishment for the benefit of the landed gentry.

What you call "public schools" we call "state schools".

CompGuy101 wrote:
    W3bbo, I've heard that colleges don't care what you do since you're paying for it.

There's another thing Wink

In the UK, "college" refers to a Tertiary educational establishment (16-18) i.e. between Secondary (11-16) and University-level (18+). In the UK education is optional above 16. Many secondary schools have their own 6th Form departments and keep it all in-house.

Despite being 19 I'm actually still in 16-18 education because I screwed up badly last time. That's why.

CompGuy101 wrote:
    The 08 launch event is coming to my town in April. I should register and start trying to convice my parents to let me attend.

...or just go on your own accord? When I was younger than you I went places all over the country by myself (initally my parents were scared shítless, but after the first excursion they didn't care much, so long as I phoned home often).

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

CompGuy101 wrote:
    Lloyd, email sent.

Iawn, haven't recieved it; should do soon though.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    webmonkey

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

It does however mean I have to get up at 5 to get onto the M-whatever and down to B'mingham by 8:30.

Good luck with that, my daily 20 min journey in to Birmingham at that time in the morning takes 1 hour, sometimes 2 - plus I avoid the car park/m6 and don't go as far into the centre as the ICC is.

Fun, fun, fun!

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

webmonkey wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Good luck with that, my daily 20 min journey in to Birmingham at that time in the morning takes 1 hour, sometimes 2 - plus I avoid the car park/m6 and don't go as far into the centre as the ICC is.

Fun, fun, fun!

Well, google gives me a quote of about 3 hours when I pick my true location. For the sake of pedo's, I've faked this one... but it's around that general area.

Took me 4 hours last time; 2 to actually leave my area because of road works... so 5AM should be okay. Hopefully Smiley

Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Well, google gives me a quote of about 3 hours when I pick my true location. For the sake of pedo's, I've faked this one... but it's around that general area.

Took me 4 hours last time; 2 to actually leave my area because of road works... so 5AM should be okay. Hopefully

Hey... you pass through Knutsford.

Can I bag a lift off you? I'll reimburse any fuel expenses on my part.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

W3bbo wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Took me 4 hours last time; 2 to actually leave my area because of road works... so 5AM should be okay. Hopefully

Hey... you pass through Knutsford.

Can I bag a lift off you? I'll reimburse any fuel expenses on my part.

"Hi, Dad, can we give some guy I met on the web a lift? Cool."

Tongue Out

I'll see what I can do Smiley

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Massif

W3bbo wrote:

CompGuy101 wrote:

Take note: in the UK, a "public school" is actually a very exclusive privately run educational establishment for the benefit of the landed gentry.

What you call "public schools" we call "state schools".

Further note:

No-one who went to a private school ever calls them "public schools", "public schools" refers to government-run education in the private system.

It's only people who go to public schools who call private schools "public schools". Does that clear it up? People who went to private schools call them private schools.

I base this on all the people I know who went to "public schools" (and that would be all my classmates then. Wink)

Granted the rules may change again when you get into the upper echelons of private-education. But once they start making you wear top-hat and tails to school no-one in their right mind is going to listen to you.

• User profile image
    spidergeuse

Yeah I got school, but I'm skipping a day for the event.
    Maybe it might be worth it. Maybe not.
    But thats my decision.

Any way,

IS THERE ANY ONE WHO IS DRIVING FROM EDINBURGH FOR THE EVENT,
    WHO WILL RETURN ON THAT SAME DAY TO EDINBURGH,
    AND HAS SPACE IN HIS CAR FOR A 5ft8in , 90kgs PERSON (ME)?Big Smile

THANK YOU

• User profile image
    Pace

irascian wrote:

And since they're only holding the event in Birmingham, with no London or Manchester launch, I think that's the budget slashed right there!

Sad I hope they will be doing another msdn roadshow up north though. Would hate to think ill have to travel so far more than twice this year.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.