62 posts

VS2008 Launch UK : registration open

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Massif wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

CompGuy101 wrote:
    Lloyd, is your school public or private?

Take note: in the UK, a "public school" is actually a very exclusive privately run educational establishment for the benefit of the landed gentry.

What you call "public schools" we call "state schools".

Further note:

No-one who went to a private school ever calls them "public schools", "public schools" refers to government-run education in the private system.

It's only people who go to public schools who call private schools "public schools". Does that clear it up? People who went to private schools call them private schools.

No, they call them "Independent" schools, because being free from both government control and funding has positive connotations apparently.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Massif wrote:
    (Awesome, I just checked the school's wikipedia page, they've now added a list of people I've never heard of as "notable alumni" brilliant!)

Are you on the list?  If not, I think you should phone them up and complain.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Massif

W3bbo wrote:

No, they call them "Independent" schools, because being free from both government control and funding has positive connotations apparently.

The teacher's and the school may refer the school as an Independent, but the pupils all call them private schools. At least everyone I know who's been to one does.

Now, technically I went to a private school, and I was on the staff for a short while (as an IT tech.) but I still call it a private school. (Awesome, I just checked the school's wikipedia page, they've now added a list of people I've never heard of as "notable alumni" brilliant!)

[edit: aww nuts! Just checked the Wife's old school's wikipedia page, and I recognise EVERYONE on their "notable alumni" list.]

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Massif wrote:
    Awesome, I just checked the school's wikipedia page, they've now added a list of people I've never heard of as "notable alumni" brilliant!)

I can never bear to read the wikipedia pages of any place I've been to, since it implies someone of equal or greater intelligence went there.

Not something I want to admit to, really Wink

• User profile image
    Massif

Heck, it's wikipedia, I could add myself.

But that would probably be insulting to the memory of the only person of my generation who is on the list, who died in Afghanistan not very long ago. (Who I never met.)

I have no idea how this would be insulting, but somehow the presence of someone that people I know grieved makes it a "serious" list rather than the normal wikipedia list.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Massif wrote:
    Heck, it's wikipedia, I could add myself.

But that would probably be insulting to the memory of the only person of my generation who is on the list, who died in Afghanistan not very long ago. (Who I never met.)

I have no idea how this would be insulting, but somehow the presence of someone that people I know grieved makes it a "serious" list rather than the normal wikipedia list.

I still say you should phone the headmaster and complain that you're not on the list.  Record it and put it on the interwebs. Big Smile

Herbie

EDIT: I am feeling bored today, as you might have guessed.

• User profile image
    blowdart

There will be virtual labs to play with as well.

Some of which I may be running *grin*

• User profile image
    irascian

blowdart wrote:
    There will be virtual labs to play with as well.

Some of which I may be running *grin*

Why don't you use a spelling checker? There's only one 'n' (and an 'i') in "ruining" [6]

Sounds like maybe the virtual labs area might be a good place for 9ers to maybe try and meet up (assuming nobody here knows the layout of the venue or a good meeting place ahead of the event itself).

Given the difficulties we've had in the past with people failing to meet up at much smaller events like DDD I would suggest posting a time (or even several times) and place here BEFORE the event if people want to meet up.

It's not finalised yet but looking like I'm going to be pretty tied up most of the day as a "roaming" cameraman (one of four cameraman covering things) for the event, so can't make any guarantees I will be able to meet up but if you know a time/place ahead of time it would be cool to get some 'on camera' reactions of 9ers to the day. If most are staying on for the drinks in the evening that would probably be the best time for me.

Ian

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.