Coffeehouse Thread

160 posts

Windows 7 Ideas

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

www.channel9.ca/win7/win7.htm

or to sort of get the effect... use the PPT (view full screen / slide show mode)

www.channel9.ca/win7/win7.ppt

* all put together within a couple of hours.. so go easy Wink

..anything?

edit: updated the htm link with 3d versions

• User profile image
    MasterPi

CompGuy101 wrote:
    I like simple, but your Windows 7 interpretation is just too simple!

Agreed.

But then, I'm not sure what else you could do for the UI.

I like the "your information is always available" concept for the UI, sort of like what was shown in the last future demos in which Gates previewed the future desktop concept that had a display projected on three panes of glass and this really cool UI.

• User profile image
    jamie

you could do it that way - or you click view - just like now you have to click .. um.. orb?

but in this version - it would show - running programs (taskbar)  background programs (notification area) and All programs  - * also with "Uninstall" link right next to each - combined.

*i know i didnt show this but the first click on view menu is programs

• User profile image
    jamie

..plus i liked the tag - above and beyond... you dont look UP at the clouds in win7 - you look down on them

(creates a sence of ..hugeness?)

Google moon etc

i thought it was ok for 3 hours...  [A]

• User profile image
    stevo_

Uhh, leave it to them I think.. you know Microsoft has had some jip in the past about its design skills but.. yea.. not so easy is it..

If Seven is going in the same direction as XP to Vista did then I'll be happy..

The OS feel to me needs to be clean and like the OS has got things in control.. to me that's serious but not 'sgt major'.

As for some critic, the startup screen resolution is far too high, I wouldn't expect 7 to introduce a high resolution boot option, Vista has yet to really take off on using EFI in the house hold..

The scale of the startup screen is a bit 'teletubbies' and the kerning is extremely loose and the font is pretty ack, (see the W and it's pointy ascenders and descenders)..

The desktop is unreasonable and pointless sparse, the words Exit and View don't really fit what I'm guessing their roles are.. start doesn't really make much sense either.. overall it leaves me a bit confused..

The exit popup is needlessly huge, for some reason tells me AGAIN who I'm logged in as. Also, not sure why the username is in a textbox looking thing, Log out is also very hyperlink looking compared to any other buttons, not sure where there should be an X on there..

The view menu, not sure why the weather details are associated with the users profile (picture and name), because weather would be more related to the computers location.. not sure about system configuration details being listed so close to common operations.. also, as these operations increase, and sizes of resolutions change, it would become increasing difficult to support a horizontally specific window.. Not sure why the copyright is reitterated there..

Flip3D 2.0 looks around about as useless as Flip3D now.. I loved the concept but I've never actually used it, and in Vista I use alt-tab a lot less often anyway.. I think the taskbar navigation is much more obvious most of the time..

Browser is.. erm, somewhat unfinished, users would .. struggle Wink.

Jpeg icon sample is well.. pretty standard, but it shows the extension by default and the font size is a bit on the large side..

I like the idea of a much slim lined photoviewer (see how the zune player shows videos and pictures), the ui should be dockable but maybe appear over the top by default.. but this is arguable, perhaps the preview handler framework in vista could be more utilized like how leopard is, and media previews could open in a slim lined version as just suggested..

• User profile image
    elmer

Time for retro... it was all there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Windows1.0.png

What more do you need ??

Note: They suggest this is really SP1 ...LOL

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Keep going jamie, these are good ideas Smiley

• User profile image
    Dodo

jamie wrote:

i thought it was ok for 3 hours... 
    It is Smiley
    I just don't like the inconsistence of light and dark windows (shapes borders, whatever) and the shutdown window (too roundly) is either bad use of bevel and emboss or... weird gradients? Use borders (ordinary 1px gradients from dark to light do great) and shadows/glow. Makes it more 'airy' and would better compose with the clouds.
    But it's great so far Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

stevo_ wrote:

As for some critic, the startup screen resolution is far too high, I wouldn't expect 7 to introduce a high resolution boot option, Vista has yet to really take off on using EFI in the house hold..

macs have had nice boot screens for years...

The scale of the startup screen is a bit 'teletubbies' and the kerning is extremely loose and the font is pretty ack, (see the W and it's pointy ascenders and descenders)..

ya its too big - pretend thats 640 size

The desktop is unreasonable and pointless sparse,

disagree - its just a bg pic - but with no "bar" 

the words Exit and View don't really fit what I'm guessing their roles are.. start doesn't really make much sense either.. overall it leaves me a bit confused..

view = everything     search = bypass that   exit =  ..uh... exit

The exit popup is needlessly huge,

ignore fatness...  mainly showing Shutdown/ restart / Sleep

for some reason tells me AGAIN who I'm logged in as.

in vista shutdown menu there are tons of switch / log options. this one treats it like facebook

Also, not sure why the username is in a textbox looking thing,

so you could type - steveo_  / enter -   and be logged in instantly

The view menu, not sure why the weather details are associated with the users profile (picture and name), because weather would be more related to the computers location..

it goes by profile info - if your from toronto it defaults to toronto

not sure about system configuration details being listed so close to common operations.. also, as these operations increase, and sizes of resolutions change, it would become increasing difficult to support a horizontally specific window..

perfect world the whole thing would scale (like vista was suppose too)

Flip3D 2.0 looks around about as useless as Flip3D now.. I loved the concept but I've never actually used it, and in Vista I use alt-tab a lot less often anyway.. I think the taskbar navigation is much more obvious most of the time..

at least you can see more at once in a circle

Browser is.. erm, somewhat unfinished, users would .. struggle .

that was not a design - just showing if you typed live.com in search bar - ie opens

• User profile image
    Koogle

"Above and Beyond" great music Big Smile

errm as for the rest.. hmm no comment

• User profile image
    stevo_

jamie wrote:

stevo_ wrote:

macs have had nice boot screens for years...

macs have had critical control of their target hardware for years, windows uses the bios, and it will continue to be the bigger in the PC market for maybe 5 more years

The desktop is unreasonable and pointless sparse,

disagree - its just a bg pic - but with no "bar" 

let me explain, windows today has, a task list of applications, a notification area for a user to interact and get feedback from background apps, theres a quick launch bar.. while the quicklaunch bar could go, the task list and notification area won't just disappear in windows

the words Exit and View don't really fit what I'm guessing their roles are.. start doesn't really make much sense either.. overall it leaves me a bit confused..

view = everything     search = bypass that   exit =  ..uh... exit

my point was the wording doesn't make sense.. I don't 'exit' my computer, view doesn't describe me changing a system setting (didn't they dump the word 'start' because it was confusing to say 'start - shutdown')

for some reason tells me AGAIN who I'm logged in as.

in vista shutdown menu there are tons of switch / log options. this one treats it like facebook

never used facebook, not sure what it has to do with the desktop, so I don't see why the reinforcement is there

Also, not sure why the username is in a textbox looking thing,

so you could type - steveo_  / enter -   and be logged in instantly

thats highly unlikely given it's highly likely the user would need to supply a password, where do I supply the password?

The view menu, not sure why the weather details are associated with the users profile (picture and name), because weather would be more related to the computers location..

it goes by profile info - if your from toronto it defaults to toronto

well im from x, but I work in y, weather information like that is arguably useless anyway, yea - maybe user a wants their home town weather, maybe user b wants the weather in the town their working, maybe they want it for someone else.. in Vista the weather gadget is seperated away from an OS level ui item, I just think it adds clutter to a panel where its task is to help you find an app, doc or change some settings

not sure about system configuration details being listed so close to common operations.. also, as these operations increase, and sizes of resolutions change, it would become increasing difficult to support a horizontally specific window..

perfect world the whole thing would scale (like vista was suppose too)

scaling doesn't work well for resolution changes, spanning out horizontally is asking for trouble given our writing style goes horizontally, main point however was that the system configuration options don't make sense to be listed there

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

stevo_ wrote:
    perhaps the preview handler framework in vista could be more utilized like how leopard is, and media previews could open in a slim lined version as just suggested..

At the very least, MS should make it as easy as Leopard to show and hide the preview pane (spacebar with Leopard, buried in some menu with Vista).

• User profile image
    jamie

..another small branding thingy...  the windows flag logo - is beside search (center) - not - left "View".

to me this says:  here is windows... notice any shift of focus google?

ps - updated page and ppt to show dark BG = doesnt matter  - no bar

(obviously the search box cant go in center of desktop/page like google  - but it can go in center of invisible - but there - bar)

• User profile image
    jamie

*disclaimer*

i just tried to make these quick mockups of ideas look vaguely like Windows Live = you know consistant

I am not suggesting these designs are to be seen as "real"...  or whatever. 

* if i were to work on win7 for real - Im sure the desktop alone would take 3 hours (lol)

• User profile image
    stevo_

3000 hours maybe Tongue Out

• User profile image
    jamie

PaoloM wrote:
    Keep going jamie, these are good ideas

thanks..  Smiley

* i think id better clearly write out the ideas - so everyone doesnt focus on the actual (quick) design

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Start menu jokes aside, I don't understand why exit needs to be a top level item, always visible on the desktop.

Is exiting the desktop something users have to do constantly (ie: as often as "viewing" or "searching")? Does it mean "shut down" or just "log out", or something else entirely?

• User profile image
    jamie

re - steve - i wanted to call the left and right links - Open and Close... it is Windows after all... but i thought that might be more confusing than View / Exit  Smiley

edit:  thinking about it... i would vote for open / close now though...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.