Windows 7 Ideas

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

oops - i hit quote instead of edit...

jamie wrote:
    Idea Summary:

Idea 1.  none (for name) 

Edit: call it Windows ST (self titled)  like Bands do...  It could signify there is just one WIndows and it is always live / updating now

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

stevo_ wrote:

jamie wrote:

stevo_ wrote:

As for some critic, the startup screen resolution is far too high, I wouldn't expect 7 to introduce a high resolution boot option, Vista has yet to really take off on using EFI in the house hold..

macs have had nice boot screens for years...

macs have had critical control of their target hardware for years, windows uses the bios, and it will continue to be the bigger in the PC market for maybe 5 more years

Orange on white?  What were you thinking?

• User profile image
    jamie

figured i should list this proper...

idea 12: bring back Start (as search though)

Blame the vista confusion on it's removal

treat it like coke classic / give people what they want / sorry / its back - better than ever

*edit: what a GREAT editor C9 has...

• User profile image
    jamie

CompGuy101 wrote:
    That is too simple. your Windows 7 interpretation is just too simple!

haha.  not sure if thats bad or good...

* i tried to make everything more web...

so you dont click a button to click on search to type - to hit enter...

search is there...  type / enter

or theres no switching users .. you log in or out (like facebook)

or ... jpgs have no borders - till you mouseover them / options (youtube controls)

or start menu is the view panel - with profile - and CP options within a click (edit: you'd only have to mouseover the words for the tab to move along)

or flip3d is circular / shows more...

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    How long until these hit Digg as real mockups?

++

Didn't that happen to a few of Jamies mockups for like IE8 or something?

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

creditcard wrote:
    Start from scratch from a FreeBSD or Linux kernel.

Why? Although parts of the linux kernel are OK (like the mm, and the process sheduler) lots of it is terrible (most of the DWM's paint mechanisms are terrible, the way SIGKILL etc are handled by the process, rather than more centralized, in order to help cleanup programs when they crash).

If Windows were to be redeveloped from scratch, they might look at Linux, but they won't use it. Both Windows and Linux could be made better if made from scratch.

And that's not even beginning on the topic of backwards compatability.

• User profile image
    Dovella

Hi , im Italian excuse me my poor English

i Have one Idea

Games for Windows 2.0

The my idea is this

when you want to play select a game to Windows 7 and the system go in Hybernate, after start Only
    MiniWin+DirectX+Internet and STOP
    no other

maximum performance in console style

its good idea?? or bad???

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

jamie wrote:

Above and Beyond

lose the and. Add a comma.

Windows 7:
    Above,

Beyond ... (add whoosh effect)

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Dovella wrote:

Also I'm 100% behind you there.

If the Windows team can make it so that some programs pop up a UAC-style

"You're about to start playing X"

[Play]  [Work]

And if you go [Play] it kills everything it can get away with in Windows, such as Office toolbar, open apps, explorer, WMP, most services, anti-virus, the sidebar thing, any little apps, and then gives the game full power to run at max speed.

And when you exit, it can either reboot or preferably soft boot everything back into windows.

Note that a side effect of this is that Google Talk will never cause your game to crash to desktop ever again! Yay!

• User profile image
    littleguru

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

give it a year Big Smile

• User profile image
    Bas

evildictaitor wrote:

Dovella wrote:

Also I'm 100% behind you there.

If the Windows team can make it so that some programs pop up a UAC-style

"You're about to start playing X"

[Play]  [Work]

And if you go [Play] it kills everything it can get away with in Windows, such as Office toolbar, open apps, explorer, WMP, most services, anti-virus, the sidebar thing, any little apps, and then gives the game full power to run at max speed.

And when you exit, it can either reboot or preferably soft boot everything back into windows.

Note that a side effect of this is that Google Talk will never cause your game to crash to desktop ever again! Yay!

This also kills the ability to use stuff that -does- work, like Skype for team chatting, or Hypersnap for taking screenshots. Also, sometimes I want to have a file transfer running in the background while I try to figure out if the cake really is a lie.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Cybermagellan wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

++

Didn't that happen to a few of Jamies mockups for like IE8 or something?

Yeah

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    TiAdiMundo

jamie wrote:

Idea 3. Invisible taskbar - Search moved out of startmenu - centered
    Again as mentioned: if MS is competing with google for real (from pcs to phones) they need the default main page UI to have search.  It cant go in center of wallpaper (as it would wreck the look of family photos) but it could go in the center of the - invisible - bar.

I think there are some really good ideas in that concept by simplify things but what I really like on the current concept of Windows is the always visible taskbar: it shows me always what I am working on, I don't have to do something to get a complete overview. That is different from what you get on a real desktop or even on Mac OS X. And another powerful idea is, that you can reach everything from a known place with just one click, even if you are working on something (full screen mode).

BTW, this is the first Win7 concept that really shows some great ideas and smart thinking (like that a "real" Flip 3D doesn't make sense on a 2D display Smiley )

But there are some issues /me thinks: instant search only would work if you are not in a different program (like Word or a browser), so the user always have to think "where is the cursor now? Can I type instantly or do I have to click/press something? In Vista it is easy: always press the Windows key! And how would you start an app without a keyboard (on a Tablet PC, phone...)?

Or what if I opened two images, with the bigger one on top. How could I reach the other image/window? Or where can I see how many images are open?

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

TiAdiMundo wrote:

Or what if I opened two images, with the bigger one on top. How could I reach the other image/window? Or where can I see how many images are open?

I've got a cool idea for this:

windows7mock

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    TiAdiMundo

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Yes, but the taskbar does this now.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

TiAdiMundo wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Yes, but the taskbar does this now.

So your problem is..?

Last modified
  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Dovella wrote:

Reminds me of a great idea I had once.  Has anyone here used Rhino3D? You can use the toolbars and menus with the keyboard or mouse as normal, but you can freely type commands, coordinates, etc.  - Any time keyboard focus isn't in something that requires its own input (i.e. typing a 3D Text object).

I would freaking love for this functionality to be integrated within Windows.

• User profile image
    TiAdiMundo

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

So your problem is..?
    I don't have a problem. I was talking about Jamie's concept and there seems to be no taskbar anymore or a replacement to show all open tasks.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.