Coffeehouse Thread

160 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows 7 Ideas

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    AndyC

Massif wrote:

Gah! Apostrophe madness! (Neither "its" in that context, nor do the plural of Abbreviations, (I believe, I'm prepared to be wrong on that) require an apostrophe.)

Gah. You're right of course. That's what happens when the office runs out of coffee first thing on a Monday....

Massif wrote:

I'm sure it's entirely possible to do virtualisation seamlessly (or as seamlessly as anyone would care). Granted you couldn't do it right now with current virtualised OSs; but there's no reason a "parrallels" like solution sharing the same main file system couldn't be built into 7 to provide a "seams so small you can hardly see them" virtualised legacy layer.

The best you're going to get is something like Classic on Mac OS, which was deeply unpleasant to have to actually work with. Windows would suffer worse than Mac on that front, due to the heavy integration between applications that something like COM provides. By the time you reach a "seamless enough" layer, you've likely already reached a point not too dissimilar to the File and Registry Virtualistion we have in Vista today.

And that's before you even consider source-level backwards compatability. Look at the problems Adobe are having now that Apple are going all out to remove Carbon support from Mac OS X. Porting their entire existing code-base to use Cocoa is decidely non-trivial and something they've been reluctant to do. Imagine how the Windows developer community would feel if they were told that all their existing Win32 code and knowledge had to be scrapped and written against some new library. At that point what motivates them to stay developing for Windows rather than Unix/Mac OS? Wouldn't WINE suddenly look like a much more attractive platform?

• User profile image
    Dovella

were is here developers of Seven?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Dovella wrote:
    were is here developers of Seven?

If by that you mean "where are [in this forum] the developers of Seven?", then I'm here Smiley

All right, I don't do the WHOLE Windows 7 thing, but I do my part Smiley

PS: benvenuto/a su canale 9. No, non e' Mediaset Smiley

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

PaoloM wrote:
    All right, I don't do the WHOLE Windows 7 thing

What? Sheer laziness on your part. I mean how hard can it be to write 60 million lines of code in four different languages for multiple processors and GPUs and test it over three years.

You're just lazy, that's your problem Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Dodo

PaoloM wrote:
    PS: benvenuto/a su canale 9. No, non e' Mediaset
    You translate? Expressionless

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Dodo wrote:

PaoloM wrote:
    You translate?

For a modest fee.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

PaoloM wrote:

Dodo wrote:

PaoloM wrote:
    You translate?

For a modest fee.

I will give you one whole penny.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Welcome at Channel 9. No, it's not Mediaset Wink [Mediaset = commercial TV network, founded by Berlusconi]

• User profile image
    W3bbo

evildictaitor wrote:
    What? Sheer laziness on your part. I mean how hard can it be to write 60 million lines of code in four different languages for multiple processors and GPUs and test it over three years.

Whilst the original NT kernel was portable (Alpha, Sparc, MIPS, PowerPC, and i386) I don't know if it's still on the kernel spec-sheet. Granted, the kernel is still available for both IA-32 and IA-64, I haven't seen it available for much else.

• User profile image
    Dovella

PaoloM wrote:
     Dovella wrote: were is here developers of Seven?If by that you mean "where are [in this forum] the developers of Seven?", then I'm here All right, I don't do the WHOLE Windows 7 thing, but I do my part PS: benvenuto/a su canale 9. No, non e' Mediaset
    Mamma mia Paolo sei Italiano e a lavoro su Seven??e tu dopo la nascita di mio figlio sei la notizia più bella che abbia ricevuto Big SmileSo che è cattiva educazione parlare Italiano qui, io non parlo (e non scrivo Inglese) quindi mi limito a leggere ma passo qui ogni giorno, Ti faccio i miei migilori auguri e complimenti :Dvolevo chiederti solo una cosa..secondo te ho detto una fesseria per Games for Windowsfacendo partire solo MinWin Direct X e la rete? mandando poi in Iber(I need to watch my language)one il sistema principale?GRAZIE

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ahahahah Smiley

No, your idea about minwin and games was not bad at all, but I can't comment on proposals and ideas (for now).

Except, of course, for my deeply seated, almost primal, hatred for gradients Wink

• User profile image
    littleguru

Seven is still in Unimatrix Zero. I hope Voyager (as in my computer name) approaches fast the Borg territory to have Seven transferred on to Voyager Tongue Out

Damn to much of Star Trek Voyager in my mind.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

paolo,

i hope you're taking note of good ideas from channel9 though

good for you for hating gradients Smiley

there are some modest gradients i vista that are good use though arent they? buttons and highlights, always grounded by borders,

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

brian.shapiro wrote:
    paolo,

i hope you're taking note of good ideas from channel9 though

good for you for hating gradients

there are some modest gradients i vista that are good use though arent they? buttons and highlights, always grounded by borders,

If by that you mean double gradients with a radial highlight like
    http://www.cgtutorials.com/oneadmin/_files/linksdir/4529_Aero_Glass_Vista_Button.gif
    then I agree with you.

People who make buttons like
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/de/3/33/Swing_JButton.jpg
    Need special medical help.

• User profile image
    TiAdiMundo

PaoloM wrote:
    Ahahahah

No, your idea about minwin and games was not bad at all, but I can't comment on proposals and ideas (for now).

Except, of course, for my deeply seated, almost primal, hatred for gradients

But gradients are very usefull, they show us in a very natural way on what we can click. By simulating a virtual "sunlight" that comes from above they are looking like real buttons.

But reflections on buttons on top of gradients are really a little bit too much, especially when the button text becomes hard to read.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

PaoloM wrote:

All right, I don't do the WHOLE Windows 7 thing, but I do my part

Oh, so it's nothing great.

I guess I'll just have to switch to Mac. [6]

• User profile image
    cescotto

Dovella wrote:

PaoloM wrote:
     Dovella wrote: were is here developers of Seven?If by that you mean "where are [in this forum] the developers of Seven?", then I'm here All right, I don't do the WHOLE Windows 7 thing, but I do my part PS: benvenuto/a su canale 9. No, non e' Mediaset
    Mamma mia Paolo sei Italiano e a lavoro su Seven??e tu dopo la nascita di mio figlio sei la notizia più bella che abbia ricevuto

Il che suona molto triste...

• User profile image
    Dovella

PaoloM wrote:
    Ahahahah

Except, of course, for my deeply seated, almost primal, hatred for gradients

THX Big Smile
    Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.