Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

A More Active Networking Icon?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    numedia

One of the many things I miss from Windows XP is it's lack of a more active networking icon in the system tray. It's nice to have the little globe on the networking icon to show you that you're connected to the internet. Not that it always shows up-to-date results and not that you couldn't figure that out yourself.

But XP used to have a network icon that actively showed if there was traffic going out or coming in. And more important, the little lights stayed lit if there was solid traffic. That used to be extremely useful in knowing what your machine was doing and what you were waiting on. It was even more helpful as a web developer to see if your waiting was because of a large payload, a stuck recursive call, or the server just not responding in a timely fashion. Instead we have this dinky status icon in Vista which blinks slowly in a very predictable fashion to indicate activity. It's useless.

Does anyone know of a way to get more of the XP network icon in Vista? And yes, I know that the sidebar could be used, but that isn't an ideal solution.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

Right click Network Icon --> Turn on activity animation

• User profile image
    numedia

Cyonix wrote:
    Right click Network Icon --> Turn on activity animation

I understand that option is there. That's why I said that the Vista network icon "blinks slowly in a very predictable fashion to indicate activity".

• User profile image
    vaiz

I've got no animation whatsoever, even when I have the option turned on - just the globe or the exclamation or the cross - no actual animation.

Vista 32 Premium
    Speedtouch USB 330

• User profile image
    OnErrorDo​This

I miss that "correct" animation too.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.