Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Another nail in the .NET coffin

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    corona_coder

QT is moving to GPLv3.  QT is now a truly open and free software offering.  Much more than gnome.  I may switch to kde now.  QT is far superior to .NET and Java and we will see adoption increase due to this and its very exciting.  kudos to Trolltech and RMS for coming together for this history making moment.  Once again, Microsoft is through.  Hang it up, Microsofts script kiddies cant hope to keep up with the FSF and its members.  Vi$ta is a legacy OS and now Visual $tudios is a legacy development platform.

• User profile image
    cornelius

apples and oranges?

dude slow down cause 1+1 != 3

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Does anyone else find it funny that corona_coder is endorsing products from a company called Trolltech?

• User profile image
    Bas

evildictaitor wrote:
    Does anyone else find it funny that corona_coder is endorsing products from a company called Trolltech?

Yeah, I'm figuring it's a subtle clue from him to those who think he's serious. It's pretty clever, actually. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

WFor those of you, who like me, had never heard of QT, and wish to look at the sheer elegance and wonderful design implemented by those visual gods at trolltech, and their genius (have you got the sarcasm yet?), you can see a shot below (click for big).

Who else thinks that this reminds them of 1996?

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

evildictaitor wrote:
    For those of you, who like me, had never heard of QT, and wish to look at the sheer elegance and wonderful design implemented by those visual gods at trolltech, and their genius (have you got the sarcasm yet?), you can see a shot below (click for big).

1996? Visual Studio looked better than that in 1996

• User profile image
    ManipUni

I miss VB 6 Crying

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

evildictaitor wrote:
    Who else thinks that this reminds them of 1996?
    actually remainds me of Borland C++ Builder and Delphi 6 Big Smile

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

It's nice to see the Linux guys catching up with what Windows and Mac development environments have had for 15 years.

• User profile image
    athan

I don't like or use QT, for my own reasons; however they offer a true cross platform gui library plus a visual editor / generator that works, something Visual (?) C++ (Win32) still lacks... Wink

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

sakisp wrote:
    however they offer a true cross platform gui library

Why would Microsoft want this? Surely locking developers to Windows is exactly what they want to do, and is one of the really big reasons why hardly anyone develops for Linux or Mac?

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

DigitalDud wrote:
    It's nice to see the Linux guys catching up with what Windows and Mac development environments have had for 15 years.

Since when was QT a Linux-only API? Notice how its for Windows and OS X too.

Probably the biggest problem with Linux and FOSS UNIXs is that they have nothing to claim for themselves.

That is the side-effect of being both free, open source and having the least marketshare.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

creditcard wrote:

A good built-in non-managed API? No, Windows never had that and probably never will.

What does linux use when it's not (ab)using the console? The .Net libraries are infinitely better than Java Swing, although it has many issues that they ought to sort out (looking at richeditcontrol here).

Also MFC's actually pretty good, although it takes a big chunk'a space in your exe when you include it.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

evildictaitor wrote:

Also MFC's actually pretty good, although it takes a big chunk'a space in your exe when you include it.

that's what UPX is for Wink

• User profile image
    staceyw

corona_coder wrote:
      QT is moving to GPLv3.  QT is now a truly open and free software offering.  Much more than gnome.  I may switch to kde now.  QT is far superior to .NET and Java and we will see adoption increase due to this and its very exciting.  kudos to Trolltech and RMS for coming together for this history making moment.  Once again, Microsoft is through.  Hang it up, Microsofts script kiddies cant hope to keep up with the FSF and its members.  Vi$ta is a legacy OS and now Visual $tudios is a legacy development platform.

cool.  I must subscribe to your blog.

• User profile image
    FusionGuy

Umm, another "nail" in the coffin of .NET?   I love your elaboration as to why Qt is "superior" to .NET, which is essentially baseless and full of cess pool goodness. 

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I like turtles

• User profile image
    JChung2006

corona_coder is an idiot, but hopefully that won't discourage people from taking a look at qt, which is actually a decent cross-platform GUI toolkit.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.