Coffeehouse Thread

36 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Seven — A realistic forecast

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    TiAdiMundo

Well, after a lot of discussions about our feature suggestions and what Vista should have been, what do you think is realistic we will see in 2009/2010 in the next version of Windows even if we don't known much about Seven and what has changed inside of Microsoft jet (beside of that Sinofsky is now the Windows-boss, a lot of people from the Office team are working on Seven, MinWin, multi-touch features...)?

What I think is realistic:

• IE8 (or 8.5) with a download manager and thumbnail previews on tabs the same way like in the taskbar (maybe also released before Seven)
    • IE running in a virtual machine/sandbox
    • new version of Media Center build on a new framework (like the new Zune software) with the old Messenger back from XP's Media Center, movie rentals, IPTV, arcade games
    • modular OS with a small kernel and individually selectable components like the "Server roles" in Server 2008, maybe where you only have to buy what you choose to install: Windows Mail for just 4,99! Wink (a little bit like what we have now with all the Vista versions and Anytime Upgrade)
    • virtualisation of legacy Windows apps/games with maybe an integrated XP-core
    • some WPF elements and animations all over the system, but not a complete WPF based shell
    • new Sidebar using WPF, is resizable and loves Silverlight gadgets
    • taskbar is really resizable, using WPF
    • a new powerfull replacement for Flip 3D as a real taskbar alternative (heavy on the multi-touch support)
    • system-wide multi-touch gestures
    • less text in dialogs
    • all control panels using the new style introduced with Vista
    • no import font dialog Big Smile

• and an improved ui quality (improved and more consistant look, less old icons, less glitches)

What do you think?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English...

• User profile image
    BHpaddock

TiAdiMundo wrote:

new version of Media Center build on a new framework (like the new Zune software) with the old Messenger back from XP's Media Center, movie rentals, IPTV, arcade games

Err... isn't Zune 2.0 largely based on MCML (Media Center Mark-up Language)?

• User profile image
    TiAdiMundo

BHpaddock wrote:

Hmm, could be. I thought I have read something else, that it was basen on a new framework. It feels "newer" than Vista Media Center Wink

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

I'm predicting we'll see some Office 2007 UI in Windows 7.  Mainly because historically new UI/controls and such were in Office first, then Windows at large.  The Office UI was critically acclaimed, and it's silly not to incorporate it anywhere else.  Vista added new common controls, it's likely Win 7 will continue the trend.  Also, Sinsofsky is working on it apparently.

At the very least I think they'll update the common controls to render properly on the DWM frames (preserving alpha channels, etc).

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

DigitalDud wrote:
    I'm predicting we'll see some Office 2007 UI in Windows 7.  Mainly because historically new UI/controls and such were in Office first, then Windows at large.  The Office UI was critically acclaimed, and it's silly not to incorporate it anywhere else.  Vista added new common controls, it's likely Win 7 will continue the trend.  Also, Sinsofsky is working on it apparently.

At the very least I think they'll update the common controls to render properly on the DWM frames (preserving alpha channels, etc).

Which bits of it are you refering to? The Ribbon seems overkill, although if they made it more stylish (less blue) it might fit into Windows in an interesting way.

Most of the rest of the Office UI seems mainly geared at fitting as many options into as small a space as possible, and I'm not sure that Windows actually has that many options exposed at the top level, except ones that can't be reasoned about because they're "tacked on top" (installed) rather than built in (e.g. size of buttons inside Ribbon).

• User profile image
    longzheng

TiAdiMundo wrote:

BHpaddock wrote:

Hmm, could be. I thought I have read something else, that it was basen on a new framework. It feels "newer" than Vista Media Center

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20071116/microsoft-iris-uix-framework-zune/

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Responses in red inline

TiAdiMundo wrote:

• new Sidebar using WPF, is resizable and loves Silverlight gadgets

I don't think we'll see a WPF sidebar, but I think we will see one that supports Silverlight 2.0 as a first class citizen

• taskbar is really resizable, using WPF

The taskbar is part of the shell process. I don't think it's going to be WPF.

I would like to see some enhancements like:

- The ability to reorder task buttons by drag and drop like you can with IE7 browser tabs.

- Smart resizing of toolbars so that when you drag something to the quick launch area, that area resizes to fit instead of gaining a chevron (in other words get rid of the ability to add and drag around toolbars and just make the quick launch area easier to use). This one probably won't happen.

- Drag selection of taskbar buttons. Start your drag just above the taskbar and drag down across multiple taskbat buttons to select them for a single action (like close). Note that you can already do this by Ctrl+Clicking on each, so this is probably superfluous, but it seem like a natural thing to want to do.

• a new powerfull replacement for Flip 3D as a real taskbar alternative (heavy on the multi-touch support)

I could care less if Flip 3D survives. I'd like it if the thumbnails in Alt+Tab were bigger.

• all control panels using the new style introduced with Vista

Defintely agreed. I know MS likes to concentrate on the "core experiences" every release, but at some point you just end up ticking off everyone that liked or got used to one or more of those iterations. Bite the bullet, get the old stuff up to snuff with the new, and leave it alone for a while. Make the control panel feel like more than a half-done wallpaper job.

• no import font dialog
    As above, with bells on.
    • and an improved ui quality (improved and more consistant look, less old icons, less glitches)
    My favorite nit here: make redrawing resized windows as smooth as dragged windows (with the DWM), especially those with client area glass (like WMP).

• User profile image
    TiAdiMundo

longzheng wrote:

Yes, it was your blog post I was remembering. Thx.

• User profile image
    Rowan

• Improved font rendering
    • IE8 will have inline-search, download manager, revamped favourites manager, better plugin support. It will be released 6 months before Win7. The interface will remain similar to IE7's.
    • Glass will stay
    • They'll have something more interesting than Flip3D for their TV ads.

• User profile image
    nightski

I would love to see an unmanaged implementation of WPF, with the managed version transformed into a wrapper around this new foundation (similar to WinForms/Win32).  This would not only potentially solve the perf problems, but also open up WPF to managed and native developers alike.  In addition, they could then also potentially use WPF for core applications like explorer.

In fact I believe the work has already been started with Silverlight's implementation?

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Rowan wrote:

Elaborate...

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

nightski wrote:

I would love to see an unmanaged implementation of WPF, with the managed version transformed into a wrapper around this new foundation (similar to WinForms/Win32).  This would not only potentially solve the perf problems, but also open up WPF to managed and native developers alike.  In addition, they could then also potentially use WPF for core applications like explorer.

In fact I believe the work has already been started with Silverlight's implementation?

There is an unmanaged implementation, well sort of.  On Vista the visual tree created by WPF gets send to milcore.dll (unmanaged) which composites it with the rest of the desktop.  It's why, for example, on Vista you get smooth resizing of WPF apps when you use the Windows magnifier.

Milcore is also what powers stuff like Flip3D.  Hopefully they will publically expose it in future releases.

• User profile image
    jamie

evildictaitor wrote:

Rowan wrote:

Elaborate...

ill throw this in about fonts just quick:

please add "Yes to all"  when replacing installed fonts.

*try dragging 2000 fonts into win fonts folder.  for every font already installed - (about 100? or more if youve loaded office and corel) - you have to sit there and click  replace?  yes!  100 times

• User profile image
    Bas

jamie wrote:
    you have to sit there and click  replace?  yes!  100 times

You know, there's a third party device out there that can do this for you:

• User profile image
    jamie

i dont want a font manager (adobe / corel / fontminder etc)

I just want "yes to all"

* i also dont want a download manager.. just working, fast FTP (thats smart enough to resume - or continue a transfer.)

grumble! grumble! Wink

• User profile image
    TiAdiMundo

jamie wrote:
    i dont want a font manager (adobe / corel / fontminder etc)

I just want "yes to all"

* i also dont want a download manager.. just working, fast FTP (thats smart enough to resume - or continue a transfer.)

grumble! grumble!

Yes, with instant Internet we wouldn't need to manage downloads Smiley But seriously, I would like a download manager outside of IE, so that you can close the browser window while downloading a big file. What about progress bars in taskbar buttons (for downloads and every other thing we have to wait for)?

• User profile image
    Ahmed salha

what?

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Ahmed salha said:

what?

• No more Windows Mail and PhotoGallery. Include Free Window Live Mail and PhotoGallery instead.
    • Bring back my beloved Pinball XP. Loved the mission based Pinball machine. Best one ever.
    • Add something like Paint .Net to Windows Live App. No more Windows Paint.
    • Add WMP to Windows Live app. No more Windows WMP.
    • Add graphing calculator. XP has such power toy from MS already. Port it to WPF.
    • Add SteadyState user account (sandbox/kid's Bam Bam user account).
    • Left Side Taskbar style. Use Preview all the time. Includes quick launch section. Includes hide button in case you don't want someone to look at your taskbar at instant. For space saving but not entirely hiding, the bar will hide 75% to the left.
    • Automatic Recoverable DB Registry. Use DB to track all the changes to the registry. Like you installed a virus ID:9 and IE value. You uninstalled ID:9 and the changes to IE. IE still has the old registry value before virus attack since it is DB based.
    • App Locale. XP has this as hidden download goodie. This thing allows users to run different language without restart, for example, switching to play Japanese or Chinese games without going to control panel do changes that requires restart.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.