Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Installing IE6 along side IE7 on Vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Anybody know how to get IE6 running beside IE7 on Vista? I tried MultipleIEs, but sadly it doesn't work on Vista.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

blehbleh wrote:
    hm... I would put it on XP inside a VirtualPC instead.

I can't seem to get a Virtual Machine up and running. I've got Virtual PC 2007 running, yet when I try to startup a new machine I get the following message:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
    or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device"

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/11/30/ie6-and-ie7-running-on-a-single-machine.aspx

edit: while we're at it, I didn't think you could even run IE6 on vista...

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    I didn't think you could even run IE6 on vista...

That's ridiculous Sad

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

jsampsonPC wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    I didn't think you could even run IE6 on vista...

That's ridiculous

I think

More random yet possibly useful stuff:

http://jcacademy.blogspot.com/2007/11/ie7-in-parallel-with-ie6.html

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    evildictait​or

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/11/30/ie6-and-ie7-running-on-a-single-machine.aspx

edit: while we're at it, I didn't think you could even run IE6 on vista...

You haven't installed XP to the Virtual PC yet.

1) Make sure you've got VPC 2007 and install it.
    2) Make a new Virtual Machine (click New on the miniwindow).
    3) Click Next until the end, only stopping to set the VM os type to "Windows XP"
    4) Double click the new VM.
    5) It should run a couple of Bios-y things and then stop with "Please insert Boot device".
    6A) Put an XP disk in the drive and select CD from the menu followed by the drive letter.
    6B) Select CD from the menu and select the XP ISO file
    7) Select Action -> Reset
    8) Follow the instructions to install XP - you'll need an XP licence key to do this.
    9) Once finished, and you boot for the first time, make sure you go to Actions -> Install Or Update Virtual Machine Additions - it speeds everything up by about a factor of 2.
    10) To exit, ask the XP virtual machine to shutdown, rather than closing the VM.

• User profile image
    Vasudev

IE6 and IE7 Running on a Single Machine
    IE7 Virtual PC Image and IE6 Virtual PC Image Refresh

Can't say whether it succeeds for Vista. btw Is there any purpose or advantage of running IE6 and 7 on Vista or just for testing/trying it out?

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Vasudev wrote:
    Is there any purpose or advantage of running IE6 and 7 on Vista or just for testing/trying it out?

Masochism, and possibly as a dare to one-up someone who cut their own head off with their elbow or something...

• User profile image
    Rowan

We've experienced a few too many problems when running IE6 alongside IE7.

For example, if you're using the standalone IE7 on XP, then select fields in web pages don't open. There's also the possibility that conditional comments won't work correctly.

And, IE6 shouldn't be compatible with Vista, otherwise it would never die.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Developing for IE 6 and 7 is a common practice for Web developers circa 2008.  I recommend using Virtual PC 2007 and the IE images Vasudev linked.  Sadly, we will probably need the IE 6 and 7 images when IE 8 comes out.

Masochism would be creating Virtual PC images for IE 5.5, 5, 4, and 3.02 (16-bit and 32-bit).

• User profile image
    stevo_

JChung2006 wrote:

Sadly, we will probably need the IE 6 and 7 images when IE 8 comes out.

While this is true, I'd like to think we could move IE7 users to IE8 users better than the transition from IE6 to IE7..

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Vasudev wrote:
    IE6 and IE7 Running on a Single Machine
    IE7 Virtual PC Image and IE6 Virtual PC Image Refresh

Can't say whether it succeeds for Vista. btw Is there any purpose or advantage of running IE6 and 7 on Vista or just for testing/trying it out?

Thanks Vasudev, that's exactly what I needed. And thanks to Microsoft for giving me a copy of WinXP to run IE6 in.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

creditcard wrote:
    Try downloading Wine for Windows, and running this script inside of Cygwin.

How on earth does this answer the Installing IE6 along side IE7 on Vista request? Do you really think he would have bothered with Wine?

People whine all the time and you just don't see to get it. No-one gives a damn about your Linux stuff. No-one cares. At all.

Join a Wine/Cygwin forum and spend you time there. Try and see your success rate here on 9, it's piteous. You just don't seem to get the point.

creditcard usually means Absolute tedium!

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

creditcard wrote:
    If you know of any way to run IE6 natively on Windows, go right ahead. That's the only way I know how. No need to attack me for trying to help.

I think he mistook your honest advice as an unsolicited "Windows sucks, Ubuntu great, get Linux!" troll thread. It's a "boy who cried wolf" kind of thing.

On the other hand I think that the VM solution is probably better, since you'll be running it in a way that's guarranteed to be the same, whereas Wine might distort some of the rendering engine perhaps. It's nice to be sure with these type of things.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

evildictaitor wrote:
     It's a "boy who cried wolf" kind of thing.

The boy does tend to cry wolf, oft'.

VPC is the solution though, I've just done it!

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

evildictaitor wrote:

You haven't installed XP to the Virtual PC yet.

1. ...

11. With the Virtual Machine shutdown (not suspended) ZIP the files (I put my VPC's in their folders, as well), so you have a 'virgin' copy should you need to setup a new VPC, revert, or whatever.

PS: Yes, I know you can create differencing disks, but I find this easier. Plus you can still use these Virtual Disks in a differencing setup, if you like, by running the disk wizard, afterwards.

PPS: I have multiple 'virgins'. eg with XP, going from the original retail, through SP1 and SP2, with variying IE versions, etc. Yes it's become bewildering, and yes, the earlier ones rarely get used any more. But they're there, should a need arise - that reminds me, I should check that they haven't become corrupt... :O

PPPS: Those Microsoft IE VPC images use a demo OS don't they ? as in will expire ?

EDIT: Just read the download page: "This VPC image will expire on April 1, 2008.".

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

RichardRudek wrote:

PPPS: Those Microsoft IE VPC images use a demo OS don't they ? as in will expire ?

EDIT: Just read the download page: "This VPC image will expire on April 1, 2008.".

Yes.  They've always released a new image shortly after the old one expires, though.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.