Coffeehouse Thread

36 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Duncan ... you care to explain ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

evildictaitor wrote:
    @ScanIAm:

I know your views on religion, but for someone who self-proclaimedly doesn't care about anyone else's views and wants to keep religion out of C9, I think you ought to change your avatar and caption.

It's inflamatory, and against the C9 terms and conditions.

I'm just asking nicely here before other people start asking less nicely.

Cheers.

Really?

Thanks so much for your input.

I'm gaining much from your unsolicited input. 

Obviously, my views on religion are incorrect, and now, my personal style is lacking.

Seriously:  Your knowledge of some of the topics we discuss is formidable, and I'm quite encouraged, at times, to hear what you have to say about a wide variety of issues, but if you ever, for one minute, think I give a sh*t about your opinion on my religious views or my avatar, you are sadly mistaken.

m'kay?

good.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

Zeus wrote:
    From Twitter:

Duncanma wrote:
    just finished shipping code to Channel 9 that makes me feel dirty... first time in this group I've deployed code that I strongly objected to

To explain, and avoid ongoing speculation, I posted some code that checks if the user has Silverlight and *if they don't and they are on a browser that supports Silverlight* then it shows them a modal dialog asking them to go an install it.

MSDN is already doing this, as is ASP.NET, Silverlight.NET, IIS.NET, and many others... so from some points of view we aren't doing anything all that odd... but it still bothers me. It seems like a pop-up ad, when we already show you the 'install now' option in place of the player if you don't have Silverlight installed. It doesn't bother me an enormous amount, it isn't something to quit over or anything like that, but it still seems wrong.

Most of you won't see this, assuming you already have it installed, or if you do see it... it goes away with a click and won't come back for a long time.

If you want to see it now, since I took it away from our site at the moment (it just won't float right in IE for some reason!!!), hit IIS.NET or Silverlight.NET or MSDN2 on some machine that doesn't have Silverlight but could (so IE on Windows, Firefox on intel based macs, etc...)

As to why did I twitter this... well that is a good question. I was planning a long post last night explaining my thoughts on why we did this and why we shouldn't do this... but when we couldn't get it working right and had to roll it back I ended up delaying the longer post, leaving the twitter to stand alone unexplained.  I also must admit that I wasn't really thinking anyone would notice a twitter post from me Smiley

• User profile image
    Duncanma

evildictaitor wrote:
    Also with the javascripty nonsense, please fix it. It makes everyone's lives better. What's the point of IE having tabs if channel9 goes and makes a site that deliberately prevents you from using them?

Not sure about the connection with tabs... but we are actually working on making the site work reasonably well without javascript, the new site that is... definitely viewing posts and paging are things that should work without scripting. Doubt we'll get video support without script (Silverlight is 100% useless without script as far as I know), but we should be able to make it a 'click to play' style experience.

And, to answer the follow up question, we are getting fairly close to deploying the v4 code to C9... Sampy and Erik did a ton of work to get the new Wiki code done last week, now we are moving onto to the Sandbox (support for uploading files, user tagging, etc...)

We even have a fairly major editor upgrade in the works (for comments, new threads, etc...)...

at the same time we've been working with someone who is a frequent contributor to the W3C and is helping us to make the site more accessible (which incorporates many things, but working better without script is one of them).

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Duncanma wrote:

Zeus wrote:
    From Twitter:

Duncanma wrote:
    just finished shipping code to Channel 9 that makes me feel dirty... first time in this group I've deployed code that I strongly objected to

To explain, and avoid ongoing speculation, I posted some code that checks if the user has Silverlight and *if they don't and they are on a browser that supports Silverlight* then it shows them a modal dialog asking them to go an install it.

Ahh I caught this last week when visiting a MS site and thought it was obnoxious. What really annoyed me is that if your browser window is not fully maximized the "close" icon in this window is not seen.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

ScanIAm wrote:

Obviously, my views on religion are incorrect, and now, my personal style is lacking.

I couldn't care less about whether they are correct or not. This is not the point of my request. My point is that it is both religous and designed to invoke hatred.

Consequently it has no place on Channel9.

ScanIAm wrote:

but if you ever, for one minute, think I give a sh*t about your opinion on my religious views or my avatar, you are sadly mistaken.

I like lots of your avatars. But let's keep religion out of C9. Mkay? Good.

And if you think that it's none of my business then we have to start looking at the C9 code of conduct, specifically under the "no hatred" section.

Thanks.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Duncanma wrote:

Not sure about the connection with tabs... but we are actually working on making the site work reasonably well without javascript, the new site that is... definitely viewing posts and paging are things that should work without scripting. Doubt we'll get video support without script (Silverlight is 100% useless without script as far as I know), but we should be able to make it a 'click to play' style experience.

My point about tabs is that you can't right click a javascript link and "Open in New Tab", since this functionality is designed for opening new pages, whereas javascript is designed for modifying the current page. By disguising new page requests (e.g. the page selection in multipage threads) as javascript links, you prevent both IE and firefox from opening multiple pages in tabs, something that I often do when reading the forum.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

evildictaitor wrote:

My point about tabs is that you can't right click a javascript link and "Open in New Tab", since this functionality is designed for opening new pages, whereas javascript is designed for modifying the current page.

Ah, ok... well if we set the href correctly to the non-javascript method, and put the javascript method into the onclick then this problem should be fixed for you. I'll keep this in mind as we are coding.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Duncanma wrote:
    Ah, ok... well if we set the href correctly to the non-javascript method, and put the javascript method into the onclick then this problem should be fixed for you. I'll keep this in mind as we are coding.

Middle-clicking still fires the onclick event, IIRC.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Duncanma wrote:

Sounds good, but why do you need to keep the onclick event? The purpose of clicking '2' in a multipage thread is to move the second page, and that's what the javascript method does. By replacing it with the non-javascript method, it does so without invoking javascript, and has the happy side-effect that middle-click works, spiders can follow it, and javascript-disabled browsers can use C9.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

W3bbo wrote:

Duncanma wrote:

Middle-clicking still fires the onclick event, IIRC.

Hmm... well, I get how to make this work in the 'no-javascript' case... but how to make 'open page in new tab' work in the javascript case without turning off our async code?

I guess we could render the no-javascript view for people as a profile option

• User profile image
    Duncanma

evildictaitor wrote:

Duncanma wrote:

Sounds good, but why do you need to keep the onclick event? The purpose of clicking '2' in a multipage thread is to move the second page, and that's what the javascript method does. By replacing it with the non-javascript method, it does so without invoking javascript, and has the happy side-effect that middle-click works, spiders can follow it, and javascript-disabled browsers can use C9.

Because we want it to work without a full page refresh... you might not agree, and I understand that, but we are currently set on our ajax-style paging.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Duncanma wrote:

Because we want it to work without a full page refresh... you might not agree, and I understand that, but we are currently set on our ajax-style paging.

I actually meant with regards to the current C9, but in general for the ajax, you can do more nasty things.

Make the link a normal link, but add an onclick event. In the onclick event test if the left mouse button was clicked. If so, fire the ajax request and cancel the event bubble from moving the location elsewhere. If any button other than the left button was pressed, do nothing.

This means that a left click ajax-gets the page, and a middle and right click does the default, i.e. brings up the "Right click-link" menu, or open in a new tab respectively.

This will also work by default for search engines and no-scripting browsers.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

evildictaitor wrote:

Make the link a normal link, but add an onclick event. In the onclick event test if the left mouse button was clicked. If so, fire the ajax request and cancel the event bubble from moving the location elsewhere. If any button other than the left button was pressed, do nothing.

This means that a left click ajax-gets the page, and a middle and right click does the default, i.e. brings up the "Right click-link" menu, or open in a new tab respectively.

Thanks! That is an interesting approach... I'll see what I can do.

As far as the existing C9, I'll take a look at the code for the pager and see what is possible. As other people have mentioned, there isn't really any need to have paging done via javascript since it ends up being a full page load anyways.

I'm the only guy on the team who does any work with the current C9 code base though, so I'm the bottleneck for any changes to this site.

Oh, and just so no one thinks I've stopped responding out of lack of interest, I'm heading out to the grocery store with my daughter ... so I won't be participating in this thread for at least the next few hours and possibly won't get back to it until later in the evening.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Duncanma wrote:

Ah yes, a subject I am most familiar with...

• User profile image
    figuerres

Duncanma wrote:

evildictaitor wrote:

Thanks! That is an interesting approach... I'll see what I can do.

As far as the existing C9, I'll take a look at the code for the pager and see what is possible. As other people have mentioned, there isn't really any need to have paging done via javascript since it ends up being a full page load anyways.

I'm the only guy on the team who does any work with the current C9 code base though, so I'm the bottleneck for any changes to this site.

Oh, and just so no one thinks I've stopped responding out of lack of interest, I'm heading out to the grocery store with my daughter ... so I won't be participating in this thread for at least the next few hours and possibly won't get back to it until later in the evening.

Yeah I know how the "One Coder" on something works...

as for the "Addvert" yeah MSFT gets stuck with ither "too much" or "too little" so to speak.

One camp wants SIlverlight everywhere all the time and gets in a tizzy if it's not.
    the other camp does the inverse....
    MSFT & Co trying to keep both semi-happy... Perplexed

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

Duncanma wrote:
    ... now we are moving onto to the Sandbox (support for uploading files, user tagging, etc...)

And deleting ?

Or are we going to allow (some) attachments on forum posts ?

• User profile image
    Duncanma

RichardRudek wrote:
    And deleting ?

Deleting? By the author of the sandbox entry?

Not actually something we had talked about, we discussed the ability to upload a new version that would replace the one currently there (although we'd keep tracking the combined download count along with the individual download count for each uploaded version over time)... but no, other than an administrative action, we hadn't planned on delete.

Perhaps if you explain your question in more detail I'll have an idea of why we would do that.... and we can always change our minds Smiley

Now, as far as attachments to a forum post, that is somewhat problematic. In the sandbox we'd have the author go through a little bit of legalese before uploading, and we'd warn people before downloading those same files. If we allowed attachments in any forum we might need to extend those same rules to more places. Including links is, of course, possible... and we'll be adding support for inserting images... I guess file support would allow for sharing smaller amounts of code/snippets/etc... once again, more details on what you had in mind would help us to understand the scenario for attachments to any forum post.

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

Duncanma wrote:

RichardRudek wrote:
    And deleting ?

Deleting? By the author of the sandbox entry?

Yes, by the author.

Duncanma wrote:
    Not actually something we had talked about, we discussed the ability to upload a new version that would replace the one currently there (although we'd keep tracking the combined download count along with the individual download count for each uploaded version over time)... but no, other than an administrative action, we hadn't planned on delete.

Perhaps if you explain your question in more detail I'll have an idea of why we would do that.... and we can always change our minds

Well my [recent exchange with Sven], for example.

Problem solved, no point having the stuff hanging around in the sandbox.

Duncanma wrote:
    Now, as far as attachments to a forum post, that is somewhat problematic. In the sandbox we'd have the author go through a little bit of legalese before uploading, and we'd warn people before downloading those same files. If we allowed attachments in any forum we might need to extend those same rules to more places. Including links is, of course, possible... and we'll be adding support for inserting images... I guess file support would allow for sharing smaller amounts of code/snippets/etc... once again, more details on what you had in mind would help us to understand the scenario for attachments to any forum post.

Same example, as linked to above.

Basically, setup a two-way exchange system. So if someone (or enough people) on the group requests things like the projects files, etc, that enables the author of the original post to then attach files. That is, when you first create a post, you can't attach, but if someone else requests it (a button, whatever), the original poster can then attach things.

Something like that, anyway.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.