Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

2 questions about games...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

    i dont have an xbox.  and i really dont play any games except from ID soft.   (original doom, quake 1,2,3 new doom..)

    to be honest all i normally do is launch Quake 3 Space Level demo 2 or 3 times a day for 5 minutes and blow things up...  in other words.. I do not enjoy anything like Myst.. or figure it out games.

    my 2 questions are - is there any cool FPS demos - i can just download and try that are cool..worthwhile but still simple? and the last question is - whats so special about xbox over a pc?  (if you have a good machine and video ram)

    why get an xbox - over a super charged pc?

  • User profile image
    ManipUni

    You shouldn't get an XBox over a PC. Waste of money. Get a PC and a Steam account / WoW subscription.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    is that the fps that was like a MEG big?  i did try it. and i liked it for 5 minutes but it was too slow (if thats the one)

    * i saw commercials for the games of war, or the throw the cell phone guy or the in the arctic one.. are those all xbox only?

  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

    jamie wrote:
    is that the fps that was like a MEG big?  i did try it. and i liked it for 5 minutes but it was too slow (if thats the one)


    no it's not

    jamie wrote:

    * i saw commercials for the games of war, or the throw the cell phone guy or the in the arctic one.. are those all xbox only?


    no, gears of war and lost planet came out for PC too

  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

    jamie wrote:
    

    my 2 questions are - is there any cool FPS demos - i can just download and try that are cool..worthwhile but still simple? and the last question is - whats so special about xbox over a pc?  (if you have a good machine and video ram)

    have you tried tremulous?

    jamie wrote:
    
    why get an xbox - over a super charged pc?



    because a super charged PC costs more, has less games and lasts less

  • User profile image
    jamie

    downloading...

    (the spider leg image reminded me of that small install one)

  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

    jamie wrote:
    downloading...

    (the spider leg image reminded me of that small install one)


    if the server list doesn't load select Source: internet

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Crysis Smiley

    The deal with the Xbox is that you know that all games designed for it will run on it. That's the deal... you have a platform where you know that you can play the games. Also you can play it (at least that is true for me) on a bigger screen.

  • User profile image
    phreaks

    littleguru wrote:
    Crysis

    The deal with the Xbox is that you know that all games designed for it will run on it. That's the deal... you have a platform where you know that you can play the games. Also you can play it (at least that is true for me) on a bigger screen.


    Other points for the console include:
    1) you can have friends over and play together
    2) you can take your console with you on the road
    3) Next Gen consoles double as media extenders.
    4) You can pause the game, while you go back to coding. When you're ready for another break, just goback to the console and unpause, no need to close apps, restart games.
    5) a console is cheaper
    6) If I want to move my gaming area, it's much easier to move only my console, than it is to move my entire pc.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:
    
    jamie wrote:
    downloading...

    (the spider leg image reminded me of that small install one)


    if the server list doesn't load select Source: internet


    cool. worked.  thanks Smiley

  • User profile image
    JChung2006

    jamie wrote:
    why get an xbox - over a super charged pc?

    Price, plus you can rent games instead of buying them.

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    jamie wrote:
    to be honest all i normally do is launch Quake 3 Space Level demo 2 or 3 times a day for 5 minutes and blow things up...  in other words.. I do not enjoy anything like Myst.. or figure it out games.

    Man do you have bad taste. Tongue Out

    I can't stand shooters and adore adventure/puzzle games.

  • User profile image
    LaBomba

    "* i saw commercials for the games of war, or the throw the cell phone guy or the in the arctic one.. are those all xbox only? "


    gotta love these game descriptions...
    and he knew exactly what you were talking about! lol Wink

  • User profile image
    Jhaks

    I would pick PC over consoles any day but that's just my opinion.  There are negatives and positives to both.  It is cheaper to get a console but if you skip the console and spend the saved money on a PC then you can get a pretty nice PC.

    As for recommendations you seriously need to play the Half Life 2 series, Portal and if you are into multi-player team games Team Fortress 2.  I think they might have demos of HL2 and Portal.  The most amazing thing is that the entire HL2 series (three games), Portal and TF2 are together in the Orange Box and is priced the same as other single package games on the market.  I think Valve has the most innovative and creative games out there.  Also the Orange Box is available on the PC, 360 and PS3.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Sven Groot wrote:
    
    jamie wrote:
    to be honest all i normally do is launch Quake 3 Space Level demo 2 or 3 times a day for 5 minutes and blow things up...  in other words.. I do not enjoy anything like Myst.. or figure it out games.

    Man do you have bad taste.

    I can't stand shooters and adore adventure/puzzle games.


    Compromise: Portal.

    Which ain't a shabby game in itself Wink

  • User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

    Sven Groot wrote:
    
    jamie wrote:
    to be honest all i normally do is launch Quake 3 Space Level demo 2 or 3 times a day for 5 minutes and blow things up...  in other words.. I do not enjoy anything like Myst.. or figure it out games.

    Man do you have bad taste.

    I can't stand shooters and adore adventure/puzzle games.


    Hey, quake3 is almost definition of arena/close range FPS games.

    And I knew Jamie is natural born, cold blooded nab pwnzor. [6] Tongue Out

    If you like MP(multiplayer) games I would recommend you Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory, it's 4 year old fps but it's still very very playable. In fact I'm hooked on it, I've became member of one european clan just 2 days ago, woo. Smiley

    If you're interesed: download

    Oh, it's freeware.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.