Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

must have Work apps...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Generic : VS2005 with Team Foundation, SQL Server Management Studio, Any Web Browser (to look stuff up)
    Job Specific:   Beast (our in-house bug tracker), Messenger (for in-house communications), Outlook (for our customer support in-box), Access (front end to our in-house timesheet system).

Herbie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jamie wrote:
    outlook, ie7, frontpage 2003, corel x3, photoshop cs, office

i couldnt work without above. (especially corel / fp / ps)

you?

(*i could still work with corel 4, photoshop 3 and Fp98 however...)

Well, let's see here...
    • Word, Excel, Outlook 2003
      • Not 2007 because I like my colour scheme better
      • and "Glass" is overrated and cliché now
    • Sometimes Visio
      • Still trying to figure out UML
    • Photoshop CS, sometimes Illustrator CS
      • CS2 had serious window painting issues on Windows that were never patched. I don't know how Adobe got away with it
      • CS3 just looks ugly on Windows, why are they overriding my window colour scheme with a botched painting operation?
      • And the now enforced Bridge integration ruins it
      • I'd be using Photoshop 7 if it weren't for CS's support for nested sets
    • Visual Studio 2005 (duh)
      • But also FxCop and NUnit
    • Do servers count?
      • WS2003, SQL2000/5, Exchange, IIS
    • Web browser of choice
      • FF2.x with modified chrome and load of extensions
    • Games
      • Can't work without games
      • Yarly!
      • C&C3, HL2DM, CS-S, TF2
      • If I'm feeling nostalgic, right now I'm running through:
        • Jurassic Park: Tresspasser (only available on BitTorrent atm, unfortunately)
        • Terminal Velocity (3DRealms still sells this on their website)
        • MegaRace 2 (I stopped playing recently after I realised how awful the cinematics were, even in 1996)

So yeah...

• User profile image
    Red5

OneNote 2007
    Notepad
    SQL Mgmt. Studio

• User profile image
    AndyC

visionApp Remote Desktop (very cool little utility!)
    SQL Server Management Studio
    Windows Powershell
    Outlook Smiley

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

VisualStudio

Photoshop CS2

PHP Designer 2007

MySQL Administrator

MySQL Query Browser

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

I tend to work very bare-bones, not a lot of every-day tools.

• VS2005 + MbUnit + Resharper 3.1.
    • Outlook 2007. OneNote 2007 for school.
    • CCTray, to know when our build is broken.
    • Winamp, because I can't work in silence.

That's mostly it. I keep switching between various notepad replacements because most of them are crap.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Yggdrasil wrote:

That's mostly it. I keep switching between various notepad replacements because most of them are crap.

++

And what about Notepad++? It's brilliant, dude!

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Photoshop CS2

I'm presuming your copy of Photoshop CS2 is legitimate, so could you confirm something for me:

When Photoshop CS2 is maximised, and you've got a document open (which is also maximised) you can still drag the document's resize handle in the lower right hand corner. Doing so whilst the main window is maximised produces an "unpainted" effect outside the document's window.

Also that the text in the Tool Options bar isn't vertically aligned and appears at different font sizes.

That all layer sets appear with the same height as a layer rather than roughly 2/3rds

Finally, that the menu items are 1px shorter than default Windows menubars and appear slightly out of place.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

W3bbo wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Photoshop CS2

I'm presuming your copy of Photoshop CS2 is legitimate, so could you confirm something for me:

When Photoshop CS2 is maximised, and you've got a document open (which is also maximised) you can still drag the document's resize handle in the lower right hand corner. Doing so whilst the main window is maximised produces an "unpainted" effect outside the document's window.

Yup. Screwed up everything Smiley Had to close Photoshop and all of my projects to fix it - thanks Smiley Hehe.

• User profile image
    zian

I'm a student and e-zine producer so I've split mine into 2 groups:

School:
    NetBeans 6
    Subversion (and TortoiseSVN)
    Outlook 2003, Word 2003, Excel 2003, OneNote 2007, Project 2007, Visio 2007
    Visual Studio 2005
    IE7

Magazine:
    Subversion (and TortoiseSVN)
    XAMPP
    Visual Studio 2005
    Word 2003, Excel 2003, Outlook 2003, OneNote 2007, Project 2007, Visio 2007
    Windows Live Messenger
    Pidgin
    IE7

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Yggdrasil wrote:

++

And what about Notepad++? It's brilliant, dude!

You'd be surprised at how many otherwise-fine notepad replacements completely bork on Unicode text. Never occurs to many of them that some parts of the world uses languages other than English on a daily basis.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jsampsonPC wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Photoshop CS2

Yup. Screwed up everything Had to close Photoshop and all of my projects to fix it - thanks Hehe.

Bah, that's really poor form for Adobe, why does Photoshop's UI suck so much of late?

• User profile image
    Pace

AndyC wrote:

Windows Powershell
    Outlook

reading this post got me looking at powershell, awesome toy. looks like a hackers wet dream as well though.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Pace wrote:

AndyC wrote:

Windows Powershell
    Outlook

reading this post got me looking at powershell, awesome toy. looks like a hackers wet dream as well though.

Get the C# cmdlet templates as well and there's pretty much NOTHING you can't do. 

Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaa!

Herbie

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

W3bbo wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:

Yup. Screwed up everything Had to close Photoshop and all of my projects to fix it - thanks Hehe.

Bah, that's really poor form for Adobe, why does Photoshop's UI suck so much of late?

This issue is still present in CS3 too. I just tested on another machine here.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.