Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Infoworld launches 'Save XP' website

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6

    In a painfully transparent attempt to generate fanboy hits brave and noble attempt to save Windows XP, Infoworld has launched their very own Save XP website.

    Why?


    Infoworld wrote:

    Millions of us have grown comfortable with XP and don't see a need to change to Vista. It's like having a comfortable apartment that you've enjoyed coming home to for years, only to get an eviction notice. The thought of moving to a new place -- even with the stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and maple cabinets (or is cherry in this year?) -- just doesn't sit right. Maybe it'll be more modern, but it will also cost more and likely not be as good a fit.


    .. and so Infoworld invites you, to ...

    Infoworld wrote:

    Join us, and tell Microsoft that you want to keep XP available indefinitely. Not for another six months or a year, but indefinitely. Sign InfoWorld's petition today. And consider submitting a "Save XP" video to our site to help spread the word.


    Submit a 'save XP Video?'




  • User profile image
    eblonk

    double post bonehead move

  • User profile image
    eblonk

    I'm all for keeping XP going for a while (like 2010 or so ) but indefinitely, I'm interested how they defend that as reasonable.

  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    My video submission would be (if I could work myself up enough to care) two men in Victorian costumes shouting "We don't like change!".

    Herbie

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Where are those Office 'dinosaur' videos when you need them? Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    Ray6

    I just found their argument nonsense. In fact, I found it so non-sensical that I really believe they're just trolling for hits, and putting up such a dumb argument is a sure fire way of getting one.

    InfoWorld wrote:

    Millions of us have grown comfortable with XP and don't see a need to change to Vista. It's like having a comfortable apartment that you've enjoyed coming home to for years, only to get an eviction notice. The thought of moving to a new place -- even with the stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and maple cabinets (or is cherry in this year?) -- just doesn't sit right. Maybe it'll be more modern, but it will also cost more and likely not be as good a fit.


    Then I have better idea. Why not have a petition to save analogue television? I'm sure milllions of people don't relish having to get a new TV a few years down the road.

    And where the hell was Infoworld when the leaded petrol pumps started disappearing a few years ago ... I had to buy a new car!

    Damn you, Mr Progress!!


  • User profile image
    Massif

    I'm waiting for "Restore Win98" to be launched.

    Or perhaps WeFearChange.com the ultimate in luddite irony.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    I still love how XP used to be the target of ridicule and scorn, but is now suddenly everybody's faithful buddy, comfy appartment, and trusty pair of slippers. I can't wait for the "But we love Vista!" campaign when Windows 7 is released.

    Anyway: debunking.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Bas wrote:
    I still love how XP used to be the target of ridicule and scorn, but is now suddenly everybody's faithful buddy, comfy appartment, and trusty pair of slippers. I can't wait for the "But we love Vista!" campaign when Windows 7 is released.


    Because, after 6 years of general availability, XP's been patched and developed to the point where it really isn't that bad to use.

    But it's only really "great" when you swap out Luna for something visually appealing (even the "Royale" theme is miles better), and apply XPize to get rid of all the Windows 98/2000-era stuff.

    After 5 years, Vista will be useable, but there's just so much about it I'm not happy with (same with loads of other people) it doesn't make sense.


    Question: Why is Vista under VPC with almost everything turned off waaaay much slower than a fully-loaded XP installation?

  • User profile image
    Bas

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    Bas wrote:
    I still love how XP used to be the target of ridicule and scorn, but is now suddenly everybody's faithful buddy, comfy appartment, and trusty pair of slippers. I can't wait for the "But we love Vista!" campaign when Windows 7 is released.


    Because, after 6 years of general availability, XP's been patched and developed to the point where it really isn't that bad to use.


    Let me rephrase: I still love how XP used to be the target of ridicule and scorn, right up to Vista's release, but is now suddenly everybody's faithful buddy, comfy appartment, and trusty pair of slippers.

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    Question: Why is Vista under VPC with almost everything turned off waaaay much slower than a fully-loaded XP installation?


    No idea. Here's another question: why is my default Vista installation just as fast as the Windows XP installation on the same machine?

  • User profile image
    Massif

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    Question: Why is Vista under VPC with almost everything turned off waaaay much slower than a fully-loaded XP installation?


    Have you specified the same amount of memory to the VPC? (This'll be crucial, if you've specified only 512mb then I'd expect Vista to page more than XP, which would be killer performance wise.)

    Are the images on the same disk?

    Is Aero on? (presumably, as the emulated graphics card is going to suck, you're better off with it off. It's going to go through the CPU anyway, may as well avoid it trying to be clever.)

    Also: How much slower? Methodology and results please [6]

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Bas wrote:
    
    W3bbo wrote:
    
    Question: Why is Vista under VPC with almost everything turned off waaaay much slower than a fully-loaded XP installation?



    No idea. Here's another question: why is my default Vista installation just as fast as the Windows XP installation on the same machine?



    Possible reasons:

    Vista has drivers for your GPU and other hardware OOB, XP didn't. So XP couldn't run at full-speed

    Vista takes advantage of modern hardware better than XP, but runs worse on older hardware.

    Your machine is a Oct-Core Apple MacPro. I'll bet OS X runs at the same speed too.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    W3bbo wrote:
    

    Possible reasons:

    Vista has drivers for your GPU and other hardware OOB, XP didn't. So XP couldn't run at full-speed

    Vista takes advantage of modern hardware better than XP, but runs worse on older hardware.

    Your machine is a Oct-Core Apple MacPro. I'll bet OS X runs at the same speed too.



    Good reasons, but none of them are it. The machine in question is a lowly 2.8GHz P4, with some sort of 7xxx Nvidia card in it, from well before the release of Vista. In fact, I haven't upgraded any components since mid-2006 or so. So 'no XP drivers' and 'it runs better on new hardware' are out too.

  • User profile image
    vesuvius

    Dr Herbie wrote:
    My video submission would be (if I could work myself up enough to care) two men in Victorian costumes shouting "We don't like change!".

    Herbie


    The word 'Luddites' springs to mind

    Edit...Massif!

  • User profile image
    longzheng

    A publicity stunt to pull readers.

  • User profile image
    eagle

    longzheng wrote:
    A publicity stunt to pull readers.
    Who would ever do such a thing?
     


    Two year ago in the south of France a Hotel I was staying at was running a DOS system because of their reservation software. 
     
    Windows 2000 will be found on systems in 2020 running third party apps, so Windows XP will be around for a long, long time regardless of Microsoft's support.

  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    But it's only really "great" when you swap out Luna for something visually appealing (even the "Royale" theme is miles better), and apply XPize to get rid of all the Windows 98/2000-era stuff.


    Why did noone tell me about this programme before? :o

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    eagle wrote:
    
    longzheng wrote:
    A publicity stunt to pull readers.
    Who would ever do such a thing?


    Maybe they will start naming pepole who they have interviewed about it in order to try to claim importance.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.