Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Britain gripped by underpants crisis

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6

While the world stock markets buckle under the pressure of the global credit crunch, the UK has  problems of its own:

Paxman to meet M&S over underwear

Paxman raises smalls problem

Jerry Paxman goes to war with M&S; 'Their pants no longer provide adequate support'

Pressure has been building on the popular retailer for most of the day; the full extent of the problem was highlighted by one reader on the BBC website:

Ian, Wakefield, UK wrote:

I had been a big fan of M&S briefs for years and thought that with the M&S Autograph Collection and subsequently the MW Collection, I had found pant heaven. These underpants ticked all the boxes: the material was a wonderful soft texture, they were a snug fit across the bum so there were no uncomfortable (or unsightly) creases, and most importantly they had ample width across the gusset and sufficient room up-front, so the contents stayed in place without the need for frequent adjustment. This is no longer the case - gusset widths seem to have shrunk (can we blame Europe?), so buying pants from M&S has become a hit and miss affair. I imagine that the one in four men quoted by Stuart Rose are either smaller than average or that their pants are bought for them by unwitting (or possibly sadistic?) partners. My own partner, knowing that blokes would tend to suffer in silence rather than discuss the subject, did put pen to paper on the subject to M&S last year but their response had been the classic rebuff 'no one else has complained'.

Well, it's about time someone said something ...

• User profile image
    Massif

Surely the big (oohh.. no pun intended, honest) problem is that we aren't being gripped?

• User profile image
    Ray6

Massif wrote:
    Surely the big (oohh.. no pun intended, honest) problem is that we aren't being gripped?

Big Smile

He's definitely right about the socks though. They only seem able to survive a few washes before they start coming to bits.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Many moons ago M+S togs bore the St Michael brandname (this is of infinite interest to non-UK niners). This was a seal of quality, and stated the articles were "British made".

Now most  tog comes from places like China, the UK is no longer a bastion of industry. With this comes the inevitable compromise in quality, consequent to soaring oil prices (transportation) and lukewarm sales. Profits have to come from somewhere.

When was the last time you paid £50 for something that really lasted?

• User profile image
    Ray6

vesuvius wrote:

Many moons ago M+S togs bore the St Michael brandname (this is of infinite interest to non-UK niners). This was a seal of quality, and stated the articles were "British made".

Now most  tog comes from places like China, the UK is no longer a bastion of industry. With this comes the inevitable compromise in quality, consequent to soaring oil prices (transportation) and lukewarm sales. Profits have to come from somewhere.

So the question is, are we prepared to pay the going rate for quality pants?

A no brainer from where I'm sitting (or shuffling, rather).

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

vesuvius wrote:

Hmm ... I wonder how long £50 of Thornton's Toffee would last?  Probably the only thing for £50 that will ...

Herbie

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Of course, we're all missing the obvious solution -- go commando!  :O

Herbie

• User profile image
    Massif

Going commando is all well and good, until you hit your own personal resonant frequency.

Then it becomes hell on earth, and a special form of torment.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Not just pants, M&S pants Big Smile

• User profile image
    Ray6

GoddersUK wrote:
    Not just pants, M&S pants

That's just made my day .... Big Smile

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Of course, we're all missing the obvious solution -- go commando! 

Herbie

...or just boxers? I rid myself of the evil undies all of nearly 9 years ago and haven't looked back.

Less sweat, "fresher" feeling.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

W3bbo wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Of course, we're all missing the obvious solution -- go commando! 

Herbie

...or just boxers? I rid myself of the evil undies all of nearly 9 years ago and haven't looked back.

Jesus dude, T-M-I!!!

but yeah, boxers ftw!

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo wrote:

Have you tried the Unisex Douche?
    Unisex Douche - Complete 5 Piece Set for Men & Women

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Minh wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

Have you tried the Unisex Douche?
    Unisex Douche - Complete 5 Piece Set for Men & Women

Okay, now you've gone too far.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

So it looks like Paxman will be having a short briefing with Sir Stuart Rose, and hopefully they'll get to the bottom of this.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

evildictaitor wrote:
    So it looks like Paxman will be having a short briefing with Sir Stuart Rose, and hopefully they'll get to the bottom of this.

Well done. That's an 8/10 on the punometer.  Big Smile

Herbie

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Dr Herbie wrote:

evildictaitor wrote:

Well done. That's an 8/10 on the punometer. 

Herbie

Can you find all three? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

evildictaitor wrote:

evildictaitor wrote:
    So it looks like Paxman will be having a short       briefing with Sir Stuart Rose, and hopefully they'll get to the bottom of this.

Can you find all three?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.