Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

KDE 4.1 Release Schedule

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Erisan

KDE 4.1 Release Schedule
    KDE 4.0 Release Event Keynote
    Release Event - Speech links
    Release Schedule bits and Planned Features for KDE 4.1

January - KDE 4.0.1
    February - KDE 4.0.2
    March - KDE 4.0.3
    April - KDE 4.0.4
    May - KDE 4.0.5
    June - KDE 4.0.6
    July - KDE 4.1.0
    August - KDE 4.1.1
    etc...

• Mac Port
    • Windows Port
    • OpenSolaris Port
    • Plasma with widgets on canvas, makes things like layouting much easier, and generally integrating widgets into plasmoids
    • Webkit in plasma
    • Apple dashboard widgets support in Plasma
    • Decibel VOIP and real-time communication framework
    • Dragon Player multimedia player
    • More polished kopete
    • KDevelop and KDevplatform
    • KDE-PIM, based on Akonadi
    • GetHotNewStuff2 / DXS
    • Plasmagik plasma packages and add-on creator
    • Lots of smaller features

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Yeah, I wont be trying KDE until 4.1 at least.

I believe the Windows port is just the libraries for supporting KDE applications on Windows, while the Mac OS X and OpenSolaris port are the full-environment?

I think you can get a full KDE experience on Windows but you have to deal with the Win32 Xserver/Cygwin mumbo jumbo.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Well that's nice considering 4.0 was basically released unfinished.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

creditcard wrote:

DigitalDud wrote:
    Well that's nice considering 4.0 was basically released unfinished.

Reminds me of another similar project.

I guess 2008 is the year of the service pack.

Sounds like another similar project if they had called it release worthy in 2003. Wink

• User profile image
    Erisan

Ars Technica reviews KDE 4.0

"As Seigo noted on Twitter last week, there were over 2,000 commits to the KDE source code between when KDE 4.0 was tagged and the day it was actually released. That's a tremendous amount of code churn, and much of that is probably bug fixes."

"I encourage those of you who are testing KDE 4.0 to help out by submitting bug reports."

"KDE Four Live" CD
    Kubuntu 7.10 KDE 4.0 Remaster
    Building Qt4/KDE4 from source

It's really buggy and lacks of some basic functionality. KDE developers are working hard, so I'm confident that 4.1 will be really nice release.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

Erisan wrote:

Ars Technica reviews KDE 4.0

"As Seigo noted on Twitter last week, there were over 2,000 commits to the KDE source code between when KDE 4.0 was tagged and the day it was actually released. That's a tremendous amount of code churn, and much of that is probably bug fixes."

"I encourage those of you who are testing KDE 4.0 to help out by submitting bug reports."

"KDE Four Live" CD
    Kubuntu 7.10 KDE 4.0 Remaster

It's really buggy and lacks of some basic functionality. KDE developers are working hard, so I'm confident that 4.1 will be really nice release.

couldn't they just have left it in beta status until it was more ready? I think this choice gave nothing but bad impressions.

• User profile image
    Erisan

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:

couldn't they just have left it in beta status until it was more ready?

There has been some explanations in Planet KDE (blogs).

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

The excuse was basically like, they wanted to create momentum or something at the expense of their users.  Basically Zune 1.0 except with the risk of losing critical data.

• User profile image
    Erisan

DigitalDud wrote:
    The excuse was basically like, they wanted to create momentum or something at the expense of their users.

Distributions knows the situation of KDE 4.0 so it's up to them does they use KDE 3.5.x or KDE 4.0 as a default desktop. Many distributions has packaged KDE 4.0 so users has a option to install KDE 4.0 from repositories if they want to even if it's not used as a default.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.