Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

msdn Reader

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Be#

Has anybody successfully tried MSDN Reader? I can see the "headlines" pages for each category but selecting an article brings up empty pages only.

No firewalls, Internet access confirmed. Subscription Center working.

Any idea or same broken experience?

• User profile image
    chasedj

I'm having the same behavior and have found some others that are experiencing it too.

Too bad - the interface is great and when it actually pulls up an article it's a joy to use.

I hope this gets resolved!

• User profile image
    chasedj

I just found this fix - maybe this will work for you:

###INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOW TO CLEAN YOUR CACHE###

Navigate to this directory: C:\Users\**Your user name here**\AppData\Local\MSDN Reader\MsdnReader\

and delete the 'Cache' folder.

On XP or Server2003:

Go to C;\Documents and Settings\**Your user name here**\Local Settings\Application Data\MSDN Reader\MsdnReader\

3. Restart the MSDN application, it should begin syncing and you should see the actual data.

Again, please let me know if you still run into problems.

Thanks for your patience!

Chris Han

• User profile image
    Be#

chasedj wrote:
    I just found this fix - maybe this will work for you:

###INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOW TO CLEAN YOUR CACHE###

Navigate to this directory: C:\Users\**Your user name here**\AppData\Local\MSDN Reader\MsdnReader\

On XP or Server2003:

Go to C;\Documents and Settings\**Your user name here**\Local Settings\Application Data\MSDN Reader\MsdnReader\

3. Restart the MSDN application, it should begin syncing and you should see the actual data.

Again, please let me know if you still run into problems.

Thanks for your patience!

Chris Han

Did not work for me. Couldn't even locate a "Cache" folder under MsdnReader.. .

Though I found out, that thousands of MSDN Reader downloaders ran into the exact same problem. Sad enough that nobody noticed prior to "releasing" to the public.

Where is the desperately expected update?

• User profile image
    Pace

MSDN reader working ok over here Smiley

• User profile image
    FusionGuy

I'm behind an ISA server and I get a "Proxy Authentication Required" error in the log.txt file.  Any way to configure MSDN Reader to use the proxy?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

FusionGuy wrote:
    I'm behind an ISA server
    o man I so hate that thing

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Be# wrote:
    Has anybody successfully tried MSDN Reader?
    works fine here

btw nice little app, remainds me of NY Times Reader, i love it, you know what would be cool? replace Start Page in Visual Studio with this app Tongue Out

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Just installed this and it works fine. This is a very simple and effective WPF application. A row of 6 or so buttons on the left as a menu and a grid/list view that shows off mini-articles that you can click on and then view the full article. this would have been much much trickier to implement in Winforms.

Still unfinished, but a basic WPF application, that shows the fade in transition being put to good use. Still a bit sliugish to respond, don't know if it's WPF or the streaming (or however it gets the data - not checked out the code yet)

Useful to know how this works coz Windows Live Writer has been a roaring success and this certainly has it's uses.

• User profile image
    JKelley

The source code (available from WindowsClient.Net as well) is posted over on our new MSDN Code Gallery site as well.

Here's the link.  The Code Gallery page will let you leave feedback or questions just like a CodePlex project would.

-Jeremy

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

When I first launched it after installation it didn't have any content (there was a little yellow info triangle on the reload button but no clue as to what was causing it). I closed it and relaunched and it worked fine.

I don't much like how it handles the mouse scroll wheel. It's really easy to accidentally switch to the previous or next article when scrolling within an article, depending on where the focus is.

And the back/forward buttons really should be in the upper left.

Other than that it's pretty neat.

• User profile image
    punkouter

what a great piece of work. it's definitely better than VS.Net Start Page. and i agree, that the start page should be replaced with this. it still need some polish, the mouse scroll behavior just does not work for me. it surprised me when i want to scroll/skim through the pages just to find suddenly im looking at another article. i personally doesnt really like the fade-out fade-in effect. makes me dizzy and wayyy to flashy for reading a 'magazine' or 'newspaper'. may need some consideration regarding the controls placements and the usabilities, but nevertheless this is a wonderful software. great job

• User profile image
    FusionGuy

Ion Todirel wrote:

FusionGuy wrote:
    I'm behind an ISA server

Yeah, me too. It gives the employer the opportunity to block pretty much any protocol they want.   They are blocking everything from IM to YouTube.  Sad

• User profile image
    esoteric

It works fine here. A couple of articles are blank when opened, but overall great application and reading experience! More magazines and content. We're hungry. Smiley

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

How does the Subscription Center get loaded on startup? I'd rather not have it load every time I boot, but I don't want to uninstall the reader either. I might actually use it from time to time.

• User profile image
    punkouter

hmm... i just noticed that msdn reader seems not sorting the articles it displays. im suprised that an article from 2006 made a headline in one of the category while the article below the headline have dats like 2007. is it just my msdn reader?

• User profile image
    vesuvius

This is just a starting template, rather than complete product. You should be able to customise it to read whatever site you want, and implement the features you need. Think of it as a starter kit.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

FusionGuy wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote:

FusionGuy wrote:
    I'm behind an ISA server

Yeah, me too. It gives the employer the opportunity to block pretty much any protocol they want.   They are blocking everything from IM to YouTube. 

I'm pretty sure you can tunnel out to another machine for some of this...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.