Coffeehouse Thread

37 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

First review of Windows 7 ??

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Vasudev
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

In all honesty, I was a Neowin.net Bink.nu member for years....and they've always been pretty accurate on their build reporting....

As far as that goes if you know the right places and the build exist truely, you can get it.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Other sources confirm that an M1 build has been released to MS partners...  maybe this means the Windows department is going to come out of the hole they've been hiding in since Vista was released soon.

The IE team's talking again...  now the Windows team needs to do the same. Smiley

• User profile image
    longzheng

I'm going to guess it's real, but regardless there's not substance to it really. As long as we don't make the same mistake we did with unrealistic expecations and release dates, I'm all for a bit of cat and mouse Wink

• User profile image
    Dovella

fake

• User profile image
    Vasudev

And one cant judge or disappoint by a product at such an early stage.
    But somehow I don’t like such leaks, instead MS release the progress of its products at regular intervals for curious people.
    I still feel its not real.

• User profile image
    Bas

Reviewer wrote:

New Paint

Blasphemy! :O

• User profile image
    littleguru

Bas wrote:

Reviewer wrote:

New Paint

Blasphemy!

And a notepad with multiple undos Smiley That would be nice... could be part of the standard text box - i wonder how much more resources that would take Big Smile

• User profile image
    Bas

littleguru wrote:
    And a notepad with multiple undos That would be nice... could be part of the standard text box - i wonder how much more resources that would take

That would be incredible. If they could also change the way you input special characters like é, ö, and ñ to the way it works in Word, only system-wide, then I'll send a singing love-telegram to whoever is responsible.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Bas wrote:

littleguru wrote:
    And a notepad with multiple undos That would be nice... could be part of the standard text box - i wonder how much more resources that would take

That would be incredible. If they could also change the way you input special characters like é, ö, and ñ to the way it works in Word, only system-wide, then I'll send a singing love-telegram to whoever is responsible.

What's wrong with dead keys, that works system wide?

How does word do it?

• User profile image
    eagle

longzheng wrote:
     unrealistic expecations 

A PC on every desktop...

• User profile image
    Bas

Sven Groot wrote:

Bas wrote:

littleguru wrote:

What's wrong with dead keys, that works system wide?

The fact that, to me, the 'wrong' behaviour is the default. I want to write a quote more often than an apostrophe or umlaut, but if I type "e, it'll turn into ë.
    I have to type a space after the " if I actually want a " character, which makes no sense to me.

In Word, if you want to type "e, you can actually just type "e. If you want ë, you have to type Ctrl+" followed by E. It makes more sense to me: the accents are the exception, while quotes and apostrophes are the norm. So if you want the exception, you need a special key combination.

The US International keyboard layout requires a special key combination if you just want the norm (a quote), while it gives you the exception (an umlaut) by default.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Ok, I can see that. I don't really mind the dead-key behaviour myself. The whole quote-space combination is so engrained into my mind that I keep doing it also when I'm on a system that doesn't use them, inserting a lot of unnecessary spaces into the text. Smiley

• User profile image
    Harlequin

I can't stand when they annouce the next version of something is going along smooth, and SP1 of the previous version isn't even out yet.

I'm still waiting for SP1 so I can buy Vista.

2009 for Windows 7? Please. Figured they would have learned by now not to set dates so early on. I don't see this coming out until 2010 or 2011. At the very least is should come out in 2010 or 2011. Put releases to close together people get pissed off, like the Windows ME money grab Win2K scare nightmare.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

2009 makes sense, as long as they stick to features that don't require epic testing they should ship on time.  Vista was slow-going because of lots of large internal changes like entirely new display/audio/network stacks.  Probably necessary work from a long-term engineering standpoint, but hard to test, and sell.  Win 7 will probably be pretty PM-driven like Office and be all UX and fit and finish stuff.

• User profile image
    Bas

If there are no major architecture changes, but more fine-tuning of what we already have in Vista, then 2009 sound fine to me. Besides, three years between versions used to be the norm.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Bas wrote:
    If there are no major architecture changes, but more fine-tuning of what we already have in Vista, then 2009 sound fine to me. Besides, three years between versions used to be just fine.

I think it will depend on the sucess of Vista SP1, if there's still a lot of issues after the service pack it will obviously delay development quite a bit.  The EU could also decide to be huge jerks (and probably will).

• User profile image
    longzheng

Harlequin wrote:
    I'm still waiting for SP1 so I can buy Vista.

That's silly. You'd make sense if you said "waiting for SP1 so I can install Vista", but there's nothing stopping you from buying Vista today. The price is certainly not going to change, and in fact you'll need to install Vista first to install SP1 anyway. Slipstream might be a reason, but it's not that much of a deal.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.