Coffeehouse Thread

37 posts

First review of Windows 7 ??

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • PaoloM

creditcard wrote:
    This sudden spurt of interest in Windows 7 by people here is pretty interesting. I wonder if this will invoke a reaction from Microsoft, as many "out-of-control" topics tend to do here on Channel9. See Dreamscene for example, it almost seemed like it was released as a reaction to a couple of long threads about it. So maybe Microsoft will release some info on Windows 7.

When it's time. Not now.

And there won't be any reaction, it's all nicely planned Smiley

• PaoloM

Harlequin wrote:
    I can't stand when they annouce the next version of something is going along smooth, and SP1 of the previous version isn't even out yet.

I'm still waiting for SP1 so I can buy Vista.

2009 for Windows 7? Please. Figured they would have learned by now not to set dates so early on. I don't see this coming out until 2010 or 2011. At the very least is should come out in 2010 or 2011. Put releases to close together people get pissed off, like the Windows ME money grab Win2K scare nightmare.

Windows 2000 = 2000
    Windows XP = 2001

I think the latter did pretty good, eh? Smiley

• Cybermagell​an

PaoloM wrote:

creditcard wrote:
    This sudden spurt of interest in Windows 7 by people here is pretty interesting. I wonder if this will invoke a reaction from Microsoft, as many "out-of-control" topics tend to do here on Channel9. See Dreamscene for example, it almost seemed like it was released as a reaction to a couple of long threads about it. So maybe Microsoft will release some info on Windows 7.

When it's time. Not now.

And there won't be any reaction, it's all nicely planned

Eh....as an evagelism site Channel9 SHOULD be the first place where interviews and leaks SHOULD come from....having said that internal employees are leaking, etc and Microsoft declares it as "OK"...Jamie has had this thought before...C9 users "In theory" depending on I would say influence/fields should be picked for Microsoft's Betas....who knows though.

Honestly it's been this way since I was downloading Windows ME back in 99...and bought Windows 2000 M3 from a street vendor in Korea for $10.

• PaoloM

Cybermagellan wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

creditcard wrote:

When it's time. Not now.

Eh....as an evagelism site Channel9 SHOULD be the first place where interviews and leaks SHOULD come from....having said that internal employees are leaking, etc and Microsoft declares it as "OK"...Jamie has had this thought before...C9 users "In theory" depending on I would say influence/fields should be picked for Microsoft's Betas....who knows though.

Could you rephrase that in English, please?

• Cybermagell​an

PaoloM wrote:

Cybermagellan wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

creditcard wrote:

When it's time. Not now.

Talk more openly to US about upcoming products (namely Windows 7).

• PaoloM

Cybermagellan wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

Cybermagellan wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

creditcard wrote:

When it's time. Not now.

Talk more openly to US about upcoming products (namely Windows 7).

When it's time. Not now.

• Cybermagell​an

PaoloM wrote:

When it's time. Not now.

Yes because we see how well that worked out with Vista.... Perplexed

Trust me I understand...really I do where you're coming from...just don't like it...it's not your fault, it's a company fault.

• PaoloM

Cybermagellan wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

When it's time. Not now.

Yes because we see how well that worked out with Vista....

It didn't work because Microsoft told everything too early. Now, instead of "look what we're going to do" is "look what we did". No false expectations anymore.
    Cybermagellan wrote:
    Trust me I understand...really I do where you're coming from...just don't like it...it's not your fault, it's a company fault.

I don't see it as a fault at all (mine or the company's). We screwed up with the messaging before, we try to learn from mistakes.

• Bas

Cybermagellan wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

When it's time. Not now.

Yes because we see how well that worked out with Vista....

Uhm, you mean the Vista where they kept openly talking about all sorts of things which ended up getting delayed or scrapped? WinFS ring a bell?

• jamie

*Exclusive*  The new Windows 7 WPF Calculator!

• PaoloM

Before ANYONE goes any further:

Do not believe everything you read on the internet.

That was a Public Service Announcement Smiley

• evildictait​or

creditcard wrote:
    But no really, I would be quite disappointed if the entire Windows 7 UI wasn't pretty much rewritten in WPF.

You might want to invest in a new handkerchief then. Cos it's not gonna happen.

• brian.​shapiro

Bas wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

Bas wrote:

littleguru wrote:
    And a notepad with multiple undos That would be nice... could be part of the standard text box - i wonder how much more resources that would take

That would be incredible. If they could also change the way you input special characters like é, ö, and ñ to the way it works in Word, only system-wide, then I'll send a singing love-telegram to whoever is responsible.

What's wrong with dead keys, that works system wide?

The fact that, to me, the 'wrong' behaviour is the default. I want to write a quote more often than an apostrophe or umlaut, but if I type "e, it'll turn into ë.
    I have to type a space after the " if I actually want a " character, which makes no sense to me.

In Word, if you want to type "e, you can actually just type "e. If you want ë, you have to type Ctrl+" followed by E. It makes more sense to me: the accents are the exception, while quotes and apostrophes are the norm. So if you want the exception, you need a special key combination.

The US International keyboard layout requires a special key combination if you just want the norm (a quote), while it gives you the exception (an umlaut) by default.

Like I said in another thread, they should just upgrade Character  Map to be more like Word's Symbol dialog , where you can assign shortcut keys to any special character, with those defaults, and possibly have autocorrect.

• blowdart

PaoloM wrote:

It didn't work because Microsoft told everything too early. Now, instead of "look what we're going to do" is "look what we did". No false expectations anymore.

Which can also be a bad thing. Right now I'm in a heated discussion with a product team because their projected scenarios really don't work for a lot of real world applications and budgetary constraints, which makes the product rather useless in the eyes of customer requirements I have right now.

• PaoloM

esoteric wrote:
    As to WPF/E, aka Avalon...

WPF = Avalon
    WPF/E = Silverlight

• esoteric

PaoloM wrote:

esoteric wrote:
    As to WPF/E, aka Avalon...

WPF = Avalon
    WPF/E = Silverlight

Damn, you beat me to it. I was editing and expanding the text right there. Smiley

• esoteric

That's a cheap shot creditcard, and to my knowledge the calculator was written from scratch, providing better accuracy, for example. As to WPF, aka Avalon, imagine the calculations taking place to render that 3D text inside those buttons in W7. Wink

Also, for maximum effect, as many applications as possible should use the scene graph - it'll make RDC more efficient, right!? If the only bitmap in the scene is the background image on the desktop, the RDC may start to become a bit more interesting (well, there could be other WPF bitmaps, but for purity, let's assume not Wink...

I'm sure there'll be much cooler scene graph architechtures in the future, but for the scene graph approach is really beautiful (the "declarative desktop" and "less is more", as stupid as it sounds).

• Bas

intelman wrote:
    I can't wait for the next beta of Windows to start...

Me neither. I find Vista to be the best version of Windows so far. If Seven is going to significantly improve on it, then I'm excited.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.