Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

CSS and JavaScript books

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    NuTcAsE

I have recently been assigned to quite a big ASP.Net web project at work and we are in the design and spec phase of the project.

Since I'm more of a widnows client dev my knowledge of both CSS and JavaScript have been to a certain level, enough to be able to create basic css style sheets and very basic javascript.

I was hoping you guys could help suggest some good books on CSS and javascript... so far i found these two on amazon:

JavaScript: The definitive guide (http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-Definitive-Guide-David-Flanagan/dp/0596101996/ref=rsl_mainw_dpl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

CSS: The definitive guide (http://www.amazon.com/CSS-Definitive-Guide-Eric-Meyer/dp/0596527330/ref=rsl_mainw_dpl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

Any other books you guys would recommend? Mainly looking for Intermediate to Advanced level books...

TIA

• User profile image
    W3bbo
  • User profile image
    NuTcAsE

Thanks! Added to shopping list!

• User profile image
    irascian

Have a look at the yahoo video training on JavaScript - it's excellent.

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/  

The three lessons from David Crockford that you'll find there are the best JavaScript training you'll find and, as he says in one of the videos most of the JavaScript books are rubbish. The only one he has any time for is the O'Reilly book (the one with the rhinoceraus on the cover).

On a similar note I find most of Eric Meyer's books (he's written a LOT!) on CSS a bit heavy going, but the video training he put together for http://www.lynda.com  is excellent. You can try the first section for free and then just sign up for a month to finish the whole course. They also have some good JavaScript courses on there as well which you could do as part of your month's subscription.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Yeah. Just as a side point, there's no amount of books that can overcome the benefits of actually writing the stuff, so don't get too many books. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    W3bbo

evildictaitor wrote:
    Yeah. Just as a side point, there's no amount of books that can overcome the benefits of actually writing the stuff, so don't get too many books.

I like to consider myself a "web god"

...despite never actually own any books on the subject. As I said before, I read from the specifications and raw DTDs.

But this is only because I could get away with creating awful stuff back in 1999 through 2002.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

irascian wrote:
    Have a look at the yahoo video training on JavaScript - it's excellent.

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/  

The three lessons from David Crockford that you'll find there are the best JavaScript training you'll find and, as he says in one of the videos most of the JavaScript books are rubbish
    ++ David Crockford is awesome

• User profile image
    JChung2006

That's Douglas Crockford, not David Crockford.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

JChung2006 wrote:
    sorrrrry I always forget his first name

• User profile image
    irascian

JChung2006 wrote:

Sorry my bad!

Trying to do too many things at once, and still in shock at news of death of Heath Ledger.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:
    Trying to do too many things at once, and still in shock at news of death of Heath Ledger.

I barely know who the guy is, other than that he's starred in a bunch of movies that never interested me.

Does this rank above or below the death of Anna Nicole Smith?

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

W3bbo wrote:
    I like to consider myself a "web god"

Reminds me of a quote of a friend of mine

If I had more modesty, I'd be perfect.

• User profile image
    irascian

W3bbo wrote:

irascian wrote:

I barely know who the guy is, other than that he's starred in a bunch of movies that never interested me.

Unfair. Ledger had real talent. Indeed even when the film was crap ("Brothers Grimm" anyone?) Ledger was always a stand-out as being consistently good. He was that rare thing, a chameleon actor who fully took on a role and added something to it instead of just playing himself in everything he was in.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

irascian wrote:

Unfair. Ledger had real talent. Indeed even when the film was crap ("Brothers Grimm" anyone?) Ledger was always a stand-out as being consistently good. He was that rare thing, a chameleon actor who fully took on a role and added something to it instead of just playing himself in everything he was in.

Fair 'nuff. Anyone know the cause of death?

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

W3bbo wrote:

Suspected overdose on sleeping pills. Police don't suspect foul play at this time.

• User profile image
    irascian

W3bbo wrote:

A lot of speculation at the moment, pending the outcome of the post mortem, but the police have said sleeping pills were found near the body and they suspect an overdose.

Perhaps the most telling comments are those the actor gave in an interview before Christmas:

"Ledger was taking sleeping pills after completing I'm Not There, in which he played one of the many incarnations of singer Bob Dylan.

He told The New York Times in a November interview that he "stressed out a little too much'' during the Dylan film, and had trouble sleeping while portraying the Joker, whom he called a "psychopathic, mass-murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy".

"Last week I probably slept an average of two hours a night," Ledger told the Times.

"I couldn't stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going."

He said he took two Ambien pills, which only worked for an hour, the paper said."

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.