Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

3d on the brain..

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

warning: contains gradients and ignore all design (obviously)

So in the Windows 7 ideas thread - i had a couple of 3d ideas that ive been going over.  What was bugging me - is that both the fly in desktop - and flip3d 2 (circular version) are only a means to an end. not an end in themself.

so i tried to picture - what if the entire UI was the means?

anyway - i thought of these an hour ago - and got out of bed to do some quick drafts.  ROUGH drafts.. Wink

the main idea is wheels
    (UI wize - and using scroll wheel on mouse over which ever screen area) *note - a scroll wheel mouse is as mandatory as a monitor

so gone are window holders/borders - as you are in a 3d space

Flip3D - 3.0  (entire UI - not separate)

Cue the windows toilet paper edition jokes  Wink

?

edit:  some other 9ers suggested wheels - but they had sideways text / went the wrong way

spin them sideways = infinate and no-sideways text..

edit2 - thing i like abou this is there is no alt-tab. no clicking start. no windows key - i can use one hand + scroll wheel for every space on the screen  (but those things could all be still wok if you wanted them).  me ? im lazy.  i liked the one finger operation (for most getting around)

g- nite

• User profile image
    thumbtacks2

Interesting ideas... Big Smile

This stuff would be quite easy to mock-up using a bit of OpenGL (and probably DirectX, too).

• User profile image
    AndyC

jamie wrote:
    *note - a scroll wheel mouse is as mandatory as a monitor

Tablet PC's don't have a scroll wheel. Neither do most laptops come to think of it.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

AndyC wrote:

jamie wrote:

Tablet PC's don't have a scroll wheel. Neither do most laptops come to think of it.

Most laptops have somesort of shock detector, maybe you can use it to read the tilt instead of using a mouse wheel?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Maddus Mattus wrote:

AndyC wrote:

jamie wrote:

Most laptops have somesort of shock detector, maybe you can use it to read the tilt instead of using a mouse wheel?

If it's a tablet PC, why not just use the Stylus? Drag right  to scroll right, drag up and down to zoom in/out?

• User profile image
    Bas

Most laptops I've come across have an area on the side of the touchpad that functions as the scroll wheel.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Maybe you could work 2 sea shells into your design somehow?

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

I thought it was worth resurrecting this thread...

Look at  this from Mix:

Linkage

EDIT: Perhaps this would have been a better thread.

• User profile image
    jamie

" It showed off a range of alternate user interfaces for people who may not have been familiar with the traditional computing paradigm, particularly in developing nations."

why cant they release these for us??

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

You beat me to it. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    andy_hanger​18

Jamie,

I do not believe that this is the first time you have jumped out of bed when your brain has gone into overdrive. Could I suggest hot chocolate before bed as opposed to coffee. Sleep will come much easier Smiley

• User profile image
    Harlequin

andy_hanger18 wrote:
    I do not believe that this is the first time you have jumped out of bed when your brain has gone into overdrive.

Wife usually slaps me soon thereafter. Sad

Think a lot of those things can also be done in Silverlight too. I believe WPF has access to the scrollbutton. And WPF should be able to do it on tablet too, since it does have access to the Stylus.

/digs into Petzold book to learn learn learn....

• User profile image
    Minh

Hey, I started something similar a while back.

It even came w/ a video.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.