Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

3d on the brain..

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

warning: contains gradients and ignore all design (obviously)

So in the Windows 7 ideas thread - i had a couple of 3d ideas that ive been going over.  What was bugging me - is that both the fly in desktop - and flip3d 2 (circular version) are only a means to an end. not an end in themself.

so i tried to picture - what if the entire UI was the means?

anyway - i thought of these an hour ago - and got out of bed to do some quick drafts.  ROUGH drafts.. Wink

the main idea is wheels
    (UI wize - and using scroll wheel on mouse over which ever screen area) *note - a scroll wheel mouse is as mandatory as a monitor

so gone are window holders/borders - as you are in a 3d space

Flip3D - 3.0  (entire UI - not separate)

Cue the windows toilet paper edition jokes  Wink

?

edit:  some other 9ers suggested wheels - but they had sideways text / went the wrong way

spin them sideways = infinate and no-sideways text..

edit2 - thing i like abou this is there is no alt-tab. no clicking start. no windows key - i can use one hand + scroll wheel for every space on the screen  (but those things could all be still wok if you wanted them).  me ? im lazy.  i liked the one finger operation (for most getting around)

g- nite

• User profile image
    thumbtacks2

Interesting ideas... Big Smile

This stuff would be quite easy to mock-up using a bit of OpenGL (and probably DirectX, too).

• User profile image
    AndyC

jamie wrote:
    *note - a scroll wheel mouse is as mandatory as a monitor

Tablet PC's don't have a scroll wheel. Neither do most laptops come to think of it.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

AndyC wrote:

jamie wrote:

Tablet PC's don't have a scroll wheel. Neither do most laptops come to think of it.

Most laptops have somesort of shock detector, maybe you can use it to read the tilt instead of using a mouse wheel?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Maddus Mattus wrote:

AndyC wrote:

jamie wrote:

Most laptops have somesort of shock detector, maybe you can use it to read the tilt instead of using a mouse wheel?

If it's a tablet PC, why not just use the Stylus? Drag right  to scroll right, drag up and down to zoom in/out?

• User profile image
    Bas

Most laptops I've come across have an area on the side of the touchpad that functions as the scroll wheel.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Maybe you could work 2 sea shells into your design somehow?

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

I thought it was worth resurrecting this thread...

Look at  this from Mix:

Linkage

EDIT: Perhaps this would have been a better thread.

• User profile image
    jamie

" It showed off a range of alternate user interfaces for people who may not have been familiar with the traditional computing paradigm, particularly in developing nations."

why cant they release these for us??

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

You beat me to it. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    andy_hanger​18

Jamie,

I do not believe that this is the first time you have jumped out of bed when your brain has gone into overdrive. Could I suggest hot chocolate before bed as opposed to coffee. Sleep will come much easier Smiley

• User profile image
    Harlequin

andy_hanger18 wrote:
    I do not believe that this is the first time you have jumped out of bed when your brain has gone into overdrive.

Wife usually slaps me soon thereafter. Sad

Think a lot of those things can also be done in Silverlight too. I believe WPF has access to the scrollbutton. And WPF should be able to do it on tablet too, since it does have access to the Stylus.

/digs into Petzold book to learn learn learn....

• User profile image
    Minh

Hey, I started something similar a while back.

It even came w/ a video.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.