Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Heath Ledger has Died

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Im not much into celebrity news...however I've been following The Dark Knight and Heath Ledger is supposed to play "The Joker"....I think this is sad but this also got me thinking because of the similarities between "The Joker" in the new Batman movie...and Brandon Lee in "The Crow"...

Maybe the demented clown look isn't a good thing to have going on now-a-days?

• User profile image
    Minh

That joker pic makes me look forward to the next batman.
    Too bad about the guy, though.

• User profile image
    drhowarddrf​ine

Fortunately, filming was completed before he died.  My son is a professional actor and is really looking forward to seeing his performance after watching the trailer. 

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Rumor has it all sorts of pills were found next to his body,...

Shame really, I really liked his movies,..

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Maddus Mattus wrote:

Sleeping pills. The police haven't concluded suicide, but they haven't ruled it out as yet either.

• User profile image
    Ray6

evildictaitor wrote:

Maddus Mattus wrote:

Sleeping pills. The police haven't concluded suicide, but they haven't ruled it out as yet either.

Indeed, it may have been an accidental overdose.

Great shame. He was a fine actor.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

evildictaitor wrote:

Maddus Mattus wrote:

Usually if I take sleeping medication (or any medication) it stays in the medicine cupboard behind the bathroom mirror....usually people who commit suicide WANT to leave some type of indication behind...

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

evildictaitor wrote:

Maddus Mattus wrote:

Excellent.  You've covered both bases and essentially said nothing.

I'm starting to get the hang of this fence-sitting you do.

• User profile image
    irascian

It seems the whole world has an opinion, and feel qualified to pass judgement, on celebrities - even when they don't know them, or don't even know who they are.  

Even the most basic research pulls up the following facts, so before we all rush to condemn bear in mind the following:

Fact: no suicide note was found. This is unusual in high-profile cases like this.
    Fact: no non-prescription drugs were found
    Fact: In an interview with New York Times last November Ledger complained his body was exhausted but his mind couldn't turn off. He complained he was averaging just two hours sleep a night.
    Fact: He said that even the strongest sleeping pills were only working for him for an hour.
    Fact: He had been working in London on Saturday and was undoubtedly jet-lagged when he returned to New York

I'm waiting for the autopsy but in all the tabloid muck-raking that's going on I'm finding it hard to find any facts that justify some of the snide insinuations they're making.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I agree with Ian. I've read that his role as the Joker in the next Batman movie was very demanding. He's a method actor and I assume "becoming the Joker" can take a toll on one's mental health. In other news, Best Buy is cashing in on Heath's death only hours after his passing. They're informing their customers to "Remember a great actor through his great performances".

• User profile image
    Harlequin

TommyCarlier wrote:
    I agree with Ian. I've read that his role as the Joker in the next Batman movie was very demanding. He's a method actor and I assume "becoming the Joker" can take a toll on one's mental health. In other news, Best Buy is cashing in on Heath's death only hours after his passing. They're informing their customers to "Remember a great actor through his great performances".

Would have to agree with this. I believe when Danny Devito did the Penguin he cut himself off from his family for 6 weeks because of the character he'd have to get into the mindset for.

I'll miss Heath, he did good stuff.

• User profile image
    Minh

Harlequin wrote:

I'll miss Heath
    You wish you knew how to quit him?

What? Too soon?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Minh wrote:

Harlequin wrote:

I'll miss Heath
    You wish you knew how to quit him?

What? Too soon?

Huh?

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Brokeback Mountain reference.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

He was a drug addict.  I bet he overdosed.  Saying that you are surprised he died from an overdose of sleeping pills is like being surprised that fat Windows programmer died from Taco Bell.

Ledger's last good performance was " A Knights Tale".  I probably wont see  his last movie "The Dark Knight" as I dont support drug abuse or anyone who dies from it.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Filming for the Dark Knight finished... but Heath was in the middle of filming for Terry Gilliam's next picture The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

Sad for Heath, but Gilliam seems to get all the bad luck, every one of his projects gets screwed up  one way or  another.

"I am one of the crew members in Vancouver and to say the least we are all stunned and saddened by this event. We (crew) will know the production's fate tomorrow. If they choose to recast they could shoot the Vancouver portion and then move back to London and re-shoot what they need there. It will ultimately come down to dollars and cents I expect. As a Gilliam fan myself I feel for the man. What a kick in the nuts. What a tragedy for the industry - the loss of such a great actor." http://www.philstubbs.com/dreamsboard/cgi-bin/teemz/teemz.cgi?board=_master&action=opentopic&topic=16&forum=The_Imaginarium_of_Doctor_Parnassus

A quote from Terry Gilliam about Heath's performance in 'Doctor Parnassus':

"In an interview last month, a few days after shooting started on 'Doctor Parnassus,' Gilliam said, 'Heath is extraordinary. He’s just so good, and he’s going to be a film director. He’s watching everything, and he’s going to be a much better director than I will ever be.'"

The rest of the article is here:
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117979492.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

• User profile image
    Harlequin

corona_coder wrote:
    He was a drug addict.  I bet he overdosed.  Saying that you are surprised he died from an overdose of sleeping pills is like being surprised that fat Windows programmer died from Taco Bell.

Ledger's last good performance was " A Knights Tale".  I probably wont see  his last movie "The Dark Knight" as I dont support drug abuse or anyone who dies from it.

Geez, you're not just anti-Microsoft, you're just an a$$hole in general, aren't you?

Maybe we can talk to you easier when you come off your pearch so high.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

RMS is not a Linux coder.  Linux came into existance years after he became a coder.  So it stands.  Windows developers are overweight, Taco Bell junkies while Linux coders and Mac coders are in good shape.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.