Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

HD Rocks

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

So I don't have HD service (I always thought HD for someone who is supposed to wear glasses and doesn't is rediculous), but I decided to try the Diggnation podcast which is in HD and I love it...

On my 40in LCD it's awesome...it's actually making me think about getting a HD-DVD/Blu Ray player....

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Ive just bought a 40" LCD and a PS3, and blue-ray DVDS look lovely on it.

By the way, I watch dignation too didnt know they had a HD version because the one I watched the other day was low res is there two versions?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

leeappdalecom wrote:
    Ive just bought a 40" LCD and a PS3, and blue-ray DVDS look lovely on it.

By the way, I watch dignation too didnt know they had a HD version because the one I watched the other day was low res is there two versions?

Yeah they do....

• User profile image
    figuerres

Cybermagellan wrote:
    So I don't have HD service (I always thought HD for someone who is supposed to wear glasses and doesn't is rediculous), but I decided to try the Diggnation podcast which is in HD and I love it...

On my 40in LCD it's awesome...it's actually making me think about getting a HD-DVD/Blu Ray player....

WOW.

hey even my 83 year old mom loves HD, when I first got an HD set for her to watch she thought it was a waste of money.
    that lasted for all of 1 minute till i turned it on Big Smile
    she was blown away by how much better the screen was.

so HD is very much for all of us....

now HD-DVD Vs. Blue Disk ... well I am still on the fence
    I will wait a bit longer to buy one.

it looks like BD will win but I want to see the prces drop and how the market reacts ... 
    and I will buy a new monitor first, my current one is 720 and not a really big one.
    so I'll get a 40 inch 1080 screen and then get a player.... by the time I get to that step I figure prices will have come down and the format thing will be clear / over.

• User profile image
    irascian

It's hard to go back once you've made the switch, although initial impressions can be disappointing.

Terrestrial HD broadcasting is disappointing - full of artefacts and poor compression.

Discs on the other hand are another matter:

I started with HD-DVD (my preferred format)
    Then Blu-Ray

And now I just got the Sony PMW-EX1 camera which shoots stunning footage in 1080p (see some showreels on philipbloom.co.uk for what sold me on this camera) and captures everything to PCI Express cards with two "hot swap" slots on the camera.

• User profile image
    nightski

Yea HD is amazing Smiley  Only downfall is that HD != HD.  HD Discovery always looks amazing.  TBS HD and TNT HD aren't very good (artifacts, stretching).  So it has the potential but some places don't broadcast very good stuff.

Even when talking about movies, some blu-ray movies are better than others.  It all comes down to the compression/method and source material used for encoding.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.