Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

C9 Video on iTunes/iPod/AppleTV?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

it looks like on10 has their videos on iPod/MP4 format....and their videos area really only 5-10 minutes long....I'd like to watch more of C9 videos (and I don't know what others think) but on my iPod/Apple TV....is there a reason why we don't have MP4 or MV4 for our videos?

Side Note: I can convert wmv to MP4/MV4 so if the C9 team wants to provide storage/bandwidth I can convert and upload....

Side Note 2: No, I'm not using the stupid software that the spammer keeps posting about it's a combination of VLC/QuickTime Pro.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Am I the only one who wants this?

...if so disregard and delete this thread...

• User profile image
    Sampy

C9 will have all the formats of the other sites when it moves to v4. In fact, 9 is currently the odd ball in our video processing pipeline and I'll be removing code to move it to the standard video processing system.

As far as running the old catalog thru conversion, that's a tougher question to answer. For reliability reasons, we force a certain profile for the input WMV. Old 9 videos are all over the map quality and codec wise. We can continue to offer them up in their current form but re-encoding them for all the new formats may or may not happen.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Well, I like having my videos in MP4. It's a personal preference thing. So sure, MP4.

I'm pretty sure this is coming in C9v4 anyways.

Also; would any nine-admins object to me sticking C9 vids up on torrent sites for faster d/ling? Or would the admins do this/would this be possible in v4?

I find even MP3 versions (since my 600 sucks and can't play video) take ages to download.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Duncanma

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Also; would any nine-admins object to me sticking C9 vids up on torrent sites for faster d/ling? Or would the admins do this/would this be possible in v4?

Interesting question, my first thought is that it wouldn't bother me... but we'd lose some stats about how many people are watching our videos... but as Jeff reminded me just today, stats are about the big picture and trends and losing a few #s here and there isn't really important to our planning.

I'd need to check though and see if we are able to do this in an official manner though... I'm not sure if Microsoft has ever distributed anything using torrents in the past.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Duncanma wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Interesting question, my first thought is that it wouldn't bother me... but we'd lose some stats about how many people are watching our videos... but as Jeff reminded me just today, stats are about the big picture and trends and losing a few #s here and there isn't really important to our planning.

I'd need to check though and see if we are able to do this in an official manner though... I'm not sure if Microsoft has ever distributed anything using torrents in the past.

The Visual Studio betas were distributed by torrents. Personally I don't see the need, since the Microsoft download servers max out at 114kbps on my connection, which is as fast as I get with torrents anyway...

• User profile image
    littleguru

Duncanma wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Torrents don't work properly if you are behind a router where you can't configure to forward ports to you and doesn't support universal Plug'n'Play.

So please keep also the old way up! And btw. is downloading so slow right now?

• User profile image
    littleguru

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Am I the only one who wants this?

...if so disregard and delete this thread...

You seem to be the only one who is re-asking it. It was asked several times in the different video threads with the response that it will come in version 4. Smiley

• User profile image
    Duncanma

littleguru wrote:
    please keep also the old way up!

Not even considering removing the old way, just wondering if there is value to adding an additional option.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Duncanma wrote:

littleguru wrote:
    please keep also the old way up!

Not even considering removing the old way, just wondering if there is value to adding an additional option.

I don't know if that really adds value... You could check your server logs and see if they are always on high pressure. If not, why would you bother?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.