Coffeehouse Thread

53 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What do you want to see in Windows Seven?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

What's wrong with Windows 7? It doesn't sound half bad. And they could use this clip to promote it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZmnqY5iJUg

• User profile image
    blowdart

More cowbell.

Duh.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Minh wrote:
    Or to cash in on the other OS enormous popularity:

Vista XP

(oh damn it! I guess MS has been promising the user eXPerience since XP -- doesn't look good...)

My money's on...

• Windows 7
      • Has a degree of professionalism, they'll need it since Vista isn't that popular with Big biz
      • ...and marks an end of the marketing-driven crap with "eXPerience" and "Vista"
    • Windows 2009
      • Not bad... every other Microsoft product is using years (Encarta, Visual Studio, Office) this is a nice return to the fold
    • Windows Vista 2
      • Going on the amounts they've spent on marketing Vista, this is a way to capitalise on that, but it implies "Vista" is a product brand rather than a specific version
      • Yegods, technically it's true: "Windows Server {year}" for servers and "Windows Vista {number}" for clients.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Let's see:
    - Working Audio
    - A single design for the Control Panel that is consistent and polished (See OS X)
    - One button Control Panel escalation to an administrative Control Panel (see task manager)
    - Fix IE's bugy backspace button
    - Figure out how to save my Folder View settings (yes, I do want "Date Modified")
    - Add CTRL+Shift+Enter to the Classic "run" box
    - Fix the "move" taskbar button
    - Stop poorly written applications stealing focus and or blocking the use of taskbar menus (e.g. Right Click -> Close is impossible sometimes)
    - Stop hanging windows, particularly DirextX windows, from taking up the entire screen until they unfreeze. If an appication ignores a request to minimize then hide the window.
    - Add right click "Copy" to the Event Viewer's grey details window so non-techie people can use it
    - Start recording which driver throw a BSoD in the Event Viewer
    - Allow me to display my "Additional Clocks" (I love this new feature) as my main clock.
    - Allow MS Paint to save JPEG images in different color qualities
    - Allow Notepad to format for UNIX /n
    - Allow Wordpad and or Notepad to open large files (e.g. > 100 MB) without crashing
    - Without going too over the top allow me to pick a picture folder and have windows change my desktop to something in that once a day
    - Allow me to right click on a window and with a single click force that application's window to appear under my mouse curser (in case it is on another monitor)
    - Spell Checker in everything. IE, Wordpad, Notepad, Paint, everything.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Proper firefox style taskbar editing; it took me 10 minutes to get things to the position I wanted them in the other day Mad

Universal spellchecker; open to all applications to use... like OSX

Ability to turn off the damned orange flashing

Ability to have the auto hide actually autohide after 3-8hours use (after a while; mine stops autohiding and I have to goto properties; switch it off and then on again)

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Heywood_J

W3bbo wrote:

• A "Classic mode" that doesn't suck!
    • A default theme designed by the same guys who did Apple's UI. And if you're going to settle on a single colour-scheme make it revolve around a primary colour and not sea-green
    • No gimmicks
    • Sensible pricing
    • A single SKU for home users, not 5

You really nailed it and I agree 100 percent -- but you forgot the 3 most important features that Windows 7 needs:

PERFORMANCE
    PERFORMANCE
    PERFORMANCE

• User profile image
    elmer

W3bbo wrote:

My money's on...

• Windows Vista 2
      • Going on the amounts they've spent on marketing Vista, this is a way to capitalise on that, but it implies "Vista" is a product brand rather than a specific version
      • Yegods, technically it's true: "Windows Server {year}" for servers and "Windows Vista {number}" for clients.

If 2009 is to be believed, then a VISTA-R2 might be more likely than any Windows-7

• User profile image
    corona_coder

I think Windows 7 will fail.  Microsoft can do a complete rewrite and Windows 7 is dead.  There is no brand trust, professionals outside of Microsoft dont use Windows.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

i think everyone will switch over to linux in 5 years; 2 years if corona_coder is involved in a switch campaign

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

elmer wrote:
    If 2009 is to be believed, then a VISTA-R2 might be more likely than any Windows-7

Which fits right into the original model - service release after two years, major release after 4.

W3bbo wrote:
    Starter, Home Basic, Home Basic N, Home Premium, Home Premium N, Ultimate

That's unfair, and you know it.
    There are three SKUs available for the average customer in the western world - Basic, Premium and Ultimate. The N is a variant chosen to spite the EU, so you don't have to debate between Premium and Premium N, since there's only one difference.

I do agree that Basic should be scrapped, though.

• User profile image
    Massif

I want a few things, related to offline files:

• a "clear offline files cache" button somewhere relatively obvious. (which, naturally
    • allow me to set files as "not available offline" even when I'm not connected to the server. (It kinda sucks to have to connect to the server to say "you know, I don't actually want this when I'm offline")
    • share offline files across the people who can access them, it's really annoying that with two users both accessing files from a remote server they both have to say "available offline" seperately. (also it makes me worried that they're maintaining seperate offline files caches full of duplicates.)

All these issues are just straight Vista-Vista file sharing, so if server-vista works better then you need to fix vista-vista to work properly.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

corona_coder wrote:
    I think Windows 7 will fail.  Microsoft can do a complete rewrite and Windows 7 is dead.  There is no brand trust, professionals outside of Microsoft dont use Windows.

Wise words from corona_coder. Where he gets his wisdom from, I don't know? I sure wish I had the 'inside' knwoledge that he has. I would like to know how he knows what he knows, and how there is no brand trust and such like.

I just can't figure it out. Someone help please! I wish I was as prescient as corona_coder.

I really do!

• User profile image
    vesuvius

brian.shapiro wrote:
    i think everyone will switch over to linux in 5 years; 2 years if corona_coder is involved in a switch campaign

I'm thinking of installing Linux on an old box I have lying around this minute, never mind two years from now. His depth of forsight, perspicacious, esoteric reasoning and untrammeled authoratative deductions leave me in sheer awe, and apopleptic!

There is only one corona_coder, he is the Oracle here at Channel 9.

I with I was him.

• User profile image
    blowdart

vesuvius wrote:

There is only one corona_coder, he is the Oracle here at Channel 9.

I with I was him.

I hear he cures blindness by laying his hands on people and shouting "Open your eyes to the GPL!"

• User profile image
    Dovella

Confirmed

Windows 7 in 2010
    Link

Evangelist

this time we do not commit the same error longhorn,
    we do not show video till the RC1 , otherwise copy to us

THX!!!!!!!!!

• User profile image
    stevo_

For people to feel less inclined to automatically hate it..

Nah.. really I'd like to see additions to the dev platform.. I've said this before, but I'd like to see applications sharing data much more richly.. copy and paste is a bit 'dull' still these days..

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Theme support Smiley

Proper, decent skinning... please.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Theme support

Proper, decent skinning... please.

Must be getting old Smiley  Couldn't care less about skinning, always amazes me how much people shout for it. 

A fully intergrated ring clipboard would be very nice, something like the one in VS.
    Media Center to act as central media recorder/streamer.
    Better Codec support, allow me to reorder/disable registered filters.
    Change IE's default seach provider to find as you type.
    Much more support for the restart manager api in default apps.
    Virtualisation support for back compat and dropping of development contrains due to native back compat for anything more than 1 version old.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.