Coffeehouse Thread

53 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What do you want to see in Windows Seven?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    stevo_

PerfectPhase wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Theme support

Proper, decent skinning... please.

Must be getting old   Couldn't care less about skinning, always amazes me how much people shout for it.

Same, infact I'm somewhat against the idea.. I just get the feeling windows would turn into a pit of berl bull****...

MOM LOOK, OUR WINDOWS WOBBLE AROUND NOW...

uhhh, great..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-7wFNwQm_4

Been there, dumped that faster than the slab of meat you woke up with after a really big night out..

• User profile image
    Dovella

stevo_ wrote:

PerfectPhase wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Theme support

Proper, decent skinning... please.

Must be getting old   Couldn't care less about skinning, always amazes me how much people shout for it.

Same, infact I'm somewhat against the idea.. I just get the feeling windows would turn into a pit of berl bull****...

MOM LOOK, OUR WINDOWS WOBBLE AROUND NOW...

uhhh, great..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-7wFNwQm_4

Been there, dumped that faster than the slab of meat you woke up with after a really big night out..

I love this in longhorn concept

Link

were is Sad

• User profile image
    jh71283

vesuvius wrote:

brian.shapiro wrote:
    i think everyone will switch over to linux in 5 years; 2 years if corona_coder is involved in a switch campaign

I'm thinking of installing Linux on an old box I have lying around this minute, never mind two years from now. His depth of forsight, perspicacious, esoteric reasoning and untrammeled authoratative deductions leave me in sheer awe, and apopleptic!

There is only one corona_coder, he is the Oracle here at Channel 9.

I with I was him.

Paraphrasing here

• If you have five dollars and corona_coder has five dollars, corona_coder has more money than you.
    •  There is no 'ctrl' button on corona_coder's computer. corona_coder is always in control.
    •  Apple pays corona_coder 99 cents every time he listens to a song.
    •  corona_coder can sneeze with his eyes open.
    •  corona_coder can eat just one Lay's potato chip.
    •  corona_coder is suing Myspace for taking the name of what he calls everything around you.
    •  corona_coder destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
    •  corona_coder can kill two stones with one bird.
    Thought it was fitting.... Tongue Out

• User profile image
    ManipUni

W3bbo wrote:

• A "Classic mode" that doesn't suck!
    • A default theme designed by the same guys who did Apple's UI. And if you're going to settle on a single colour-scheme make it revolve around a primary colour and not sea-green
    • No gimmicks
    • Sensible pricing
    • A single SKU for home users, not 5
      • Starter
      • Home Basic
      • Home Basic N
      • Home Premium
      • Ultimate

This is what I want too.

• User profile image
    intelman

Speed, Windows 7 has to be the most performant Windows Yet, maybe we can lower system requirements rather than raising them for once (like that will ever happen).

I'd also like a built in system monitor for temperature..etc.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

I'd like Windows 7's file explorer to remember window size and view settings reliably.

And the games should be able to deal the cards while dragging the game window.

• User profile image
    ElucidWeb

Cybermagellan wrote:
    I figure for all the complaining I do I might as well give myself a platform for it.

Since Microsoft really isn't talking about Windows Seven at all...but we're doing plenty of it...I figure maybe we can post what we want to see out of the next version of Windows. In the event someone listens then great, if not at least we gave our voice....

Worse comes to worse the C9 team deletes this thread.

My Hope:
    1. Theme Management like Linux has...
    2. "Expose" view like OSX has...
    3. Sandbox/Virtualization (Think VMWare Fusion Unity Mode) for OSX and Linux apps.

*sticky? Maybe we can contain speculation here...

+1 on all of those!

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Here is what I want to see:

1. I would like to see Windows Seven be compliant with version three of the Single Unix Specification.
    2. Also, while virtualization support need not be a part of the actual OS, I would like to see Microsoft Virual PC provide true virtualization in that all devices available to Windows are avaliable to the virtualized OS (instead of only some emulated ones), such that it will have multiple processors available, it will be able to use my graphics card directly, it will be able to use my X-Fi sound card directly, etcetera.
    3. I would also like to know when Windows Seven is released that Microsoft spent x number of years developing it instead of spending only x/2 years developing it because they started from scratch after x/2 years of development, like they did with Vista, where they needed to spend 5 years developing it and only spent 2.5 years developing it because they started from scratch midway.
    4. I would like to see support for transcoding be implemented in Windows Media Center, as well as support for older Media Center Extenders

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

• Single SKU, or maybe if they must break it down into a Domestic vs Business
    • BSOD logging of driver crashes, I mean I know that it's my soundcard that causes most of my problems because I never crashed before then but most people wont and it makes diagnosing much easier.
    • Maybe remove Paint & Notepad for something a little more updated they're starting to become a bit of a joke albiet nostalgic.
    • I personally love the idea being UAC but I think we need an option to disable it for certain programs. I know Microsoft might not know some of my programs and trust them, but after 3 years - I do! I should be the one choosing if they run or not without having to click Allow every time I turn my PC on.
    • I think  the 'Documents' folder is starting to get cluttered - Has anyone ever used the Contacts or Searches Folder? I only recently figured out what Links did (I now love that feature by the way) but do we really need a folder for it? It seems better suited to Control Panel?
    • Bring back classic Control Panel as default!
    • More backwards compatibility than Vista would be great, I've managed to find replacement programs for most things but I'm sure you can sandbox things so I can still run my beloved WinXP games that flat out refuse to work on Vista?

• User profile image
    j0217995

the-laughing-man wrote:

• More backwards compatibility than Vista would be great, I've managed to find replacement programs for most things but I'm sure you can sandbox things so I can still run my beloved WinXP games that flat out refuse to work on Vista?

<snip>
    Is it MS fault that older programs don't work in Vista?  Why should MS be forced into backwards compatiablity for all applications?  ISn't that part of the problem that Vista currently has is maintaing that backwards compatiblity?

I want to see search built further into things.... and speed improvemnt

• User profile image
    jamie

id rather see windows wobble - than be locked into uselessness

perfect world... "Options"  

*ps none of this is coming in ie8 - thats for sure - i just read the following:  (winsupersite *hadnt been there in a while)

"Unfortunately, Microsoft can't respond to all of the requests it got for IE 8. Some items that will be passed along to the next release, I'm told, include more discoverable menus, full customization so that any command can be placed at the top level of the browser UI, more room for tabs, a full extension UI (similar to that in Firefox), and better discoverability for "deep" commands (i.e. those that are well hidden in the current UI).

And I have several prototypes of IE 8 user interface that Microsoft explored but dropped. The earliest was a ribbon-based design like that is used by several Office 2007 applications and has proven popular with users. Microsoft felt the ribbon UI was good for command discoverability, customization, and exposure of Activities, a new IE 8 feature (see below). But the ribbon was too big and inflexible, with a poor size to value ratio. It was considered pretty ugly by users and, more important perhaps, promoted commands over navigation, which doesn't make sense for IE, as it is a navigation-based application. In any event, the ribbon almost certainly won't be making an appearance in IE 8. But I know you're curious. Here's what it could have looked like."

*my one didnt push the regular bar down so much:
    (warning: old - wouldnt do like this now)

The mandate must have been:  The back button and address bar must be viewable at all times (i had them under home)

edit: the answer could be some type of animated menu system .. where it is ribbon/tabs but its also - like winmedia. It  uses animation for address bar (hard to show in a screenshot)

too bad though. everything omitted (again) was everything im waiting for

*and just as an aside..  My version had almost NO text.  The ribbon's main feature is showing icons and a word or too. (graphical)

Worth noting... I thought anyway

*collapsed ribbon (small)

http://www.channel9.ca/liveie/44.htm

• User profile image
    fknight

DCMonkey wrote:
    I'd like Windows 7's file explorer to remember window size and view settings reliably.

LOL.  I wouldn't hold my breath considering this has been broken since Windows 4.

• User profile image
    shoobs

I don't.

Ok, I'll play.

how about.

A f*cking working operating system that a 10 year old can't hack by sending a gif file in an email.

...for starters.

I kill me!

xx00

shooby

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

fknight wrote:

DCMonkey wrote:

LOL.  I wouldn't hold my breath considering this has been broken since Windows 4.

I know, but a boy can dream, can't he?

• User profile image
    elmer

A single version of the O/S (equiv to Business version) and a PLUS-PACK with all the junk, sorry... "Ultimate" features, for people who want to buy that stuff.

• User profile image
    Dovella
  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

Dovella wrote:

Not if it helps MS do the right thing this time around.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.