Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft going to hot fix IE's buggy Backspace button or no?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

So there goes another long, detailed, 30 minute to write forum post thanks to Internet Explorer's bugy moronic backspace button.

When is Microsoft going to hot fix this moronic defective by design feature out of their browser?

Should I just switch browsers to another one where the designers didn't think to bind random keys to clear text areas?

Oh I know... When I hit back the browser NEVER clears text areas, right? Well no, because on 99% of sites I use that's exactly what it does.

Seriously, FIX IT!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

IE complies with the HTML specification in reload-from-cache behaviour.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

W3bbo wrote:
    IE complies with the HTML specification in reload-from-cache behaviour.

I don't give a rats. It was a non-SSL page and I re-visited it within ten seconds and the content was gone.

This isn't the first time either. And it won't be the last until they fix it.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

err... if you hit forward (not revisit the page by clicking on the link) it should refill your text area for you.

• User profile image
    andy_hanger​18

ManipUni wrote:
    Should I just switch browsers to another one where the designers didn't think to bind random keys to clear text areas?

Yes you should. Glad I could help.

Are you expecting a better answer after your style of asking questions (moronic, rats)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ManipUni wrote:
    I don't give a rats. It was a non-SSL page and I re-visited it within ten seconds and the content was gone.

This isn't the first time either. And it won't be the last until they fix it.

Actually, the page's developer is at fault. They're not setting their chaching headers properly.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

ManipUni wrote:
    So there goes another long, detailed, 30 minute to write forum post thanks to Internet Explorer's bugy moronic backspace button.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. What buggy backspace button?

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Sven Groot wrote:

ManipUni wrote:

What buggy backspace button?

It's alliteration Tongue Out

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    LaBomba

Type your posts in notepad first, C&P.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

LaBomba wrote:

Yeah, but that's an inconvenience.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    LaBomba

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

LaBomba wrote:

That or re-typing your half-hour post?

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

LaBomba wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

LaBomba wrote:

Sure, but re-typing your half hour post shouldn't have to be done because of a single, undoable press of the backspace button.

I think at moments like this keyloggers are useful - dig into the logger and pull out what you lost!

Last modified
  • User profile image
    alwaysmc2

LaBomba wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

LaBomba wrote:

I tend to type long posts in Word (Or Windows Live Writer!) because of the great spell check.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I tend to agree. Occasionally I may accidently hit the backspace button and the browser goes back. No key should hold that much power!

• User profile image
    eagle

ALT + --->

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

LaBomba wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

LaBomba wrote:

Sure, but re-typing your half hour post shouldn't have to be done because of a single, undoable press of the backspace button.

I think at moments like this keyloggers are useful - dig into the logger and pull out what you lost!

It's not a buggy backspace button, if there is such a thing. See here:

W3bbo wrote:

Actually, the page's developer is at fault. They're not setting their chaching headers properly.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

W3bbo wrote:

Then someone needs to write to virtually every web admin on the internet and or the writers of most forum software.

Or Microsoft could just fix IE.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

ManipUni wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

Then someone needs to write to virtually every web admin on the internet and or the writers of most forum software.

It's been shown time and time again that "web developers" have no intention to follow any kind of standard above HTML 3.2. Why would you think that Microsoft asking them to fix something they have no idea it even exist would have any effect is beyond me Smiley

ManipUni wrote:
    Or Microsoft could just fix IE.

Or you could just finally accept that the web (and a web browser as its only UI) is an awful read-write medium.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.