Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Bootvis

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    N1UGLham

What a great utility!  I was thrilled when I saw this come out a year or so ago with XP.  I used it myself, and it was great.
    Just a week ago, my friend was telling me about how long it was taking him to boot his computer.  I said, "oh!  I know just the thing!" and went to look for it on MS, only to find that they no longer provide a download!  It's now considered a tool for only "PC system designers and software developers."  Is it just me, or are there still plenty of end-users building their own PCs?  Why did MS relieve us of this great product?

Fortunately, I was able to find it on another site, but it's the principle of the matter...

• User profile image
    gapman

I have wondered this for quite some time myself too.  If you need a place to download it from then here ya go.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

• User profile image
    vanlandw

My personal machine only boots slow because of a damn RAID card I have installed.  I tried it once on a friends machine and it only slowed down the boot time?  Any tips?

• User profile image
    jonathanh

The problem with bootvis is that while it can be a scalpel in the hands of an artist, it can also be a shotgun in the hands of a novice.  Now, that's not so bad, except that a substantial fraction of those novices then call tech support to complain that they've just blown their foot off with this wonderful shotgun thingie.  Combine that with every Windows tuning site pointing novices at bootvis, and it added up to substantial $$$ for support calls.  Hence it got yanked Sad

• User profile image
    N1UGLham

understandable.  just unfortunate.

• User profile image
    excaliber

jonathanh wrote:
    The problem with bootvis is that while it can be a scalpel in the hands of an artist, it can also be a shotgun in the hands of a novice.  Now, that's not so bad, except that a substantial fraction of those novices then call tech support to complain that they've just blown their foot off with this wonderful shotgun thingie.  Combine that with every Windows tuning site pointing novices at bootvis, and it added up to substantial $$$ for support calls.  Hence it got yanked Sad

It's called "Natural Selection"  Wink

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Now, what would be nice is if we could ship some subset of the functionality of autoruns, procexp, and AdAware so that people could see exactly how much random crud their PC has already accumulated from clicking "accept" to every spyware popup out there... I wonder how much we spend every year on support calls from Aunt Tilly wondering why her PC has slowed down?

• User profile image
    Jizg

BUMP!!!!!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.