Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

No Google Firefox .. maybe they are rebuilding IE?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • jamie

Beda and bosworth - as we know - are at google
    Today - Mozilla announced there's no google browser in the works. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1722576,00.asp

** What if **
    Google is building an open IE ( it would appear to have the team to do it)

IE users - would you switch to "Google IE" ? if it was open and you could modify/download code?
    (i probably would)

Firefox users: would you ignore it? or check it out?
    What if it was IE - open with standards support?

Would you still use Firefox then?

Opera and Safari users: Nevermind..
    Wink

• Minh

What's "Google IE?"
    You mean re-write IE-like browser from scratch? Where and open-source Gecko is already available?

You would switch to Google IE? Why? What added benefits over a normal browser?

Why would Google even WANT a browser?

Why would I want a Google browser? Integrated ad display?

• tLat

I am lovin' Firefox, but if Google released a modern browser (see tabbed browsing and customizable UI in Firefox) based on IE that would be hard to top. I develop for the Inter/Intranet market and the fact that I don't have to target multiple browsers (IE, Netscape) is a relief. Is Microsoft beginning to see the writing on the wall yet?

• Minh

tLat wrote:
    I am lovin' Firefox, but if Google released a modern browser (see tabbed browsing and customizable UI in Firefox) based on IE that would be hard to top. I develop for the Inter/Intranet market and the fact that I don't have to target multiple browsers (IE, Netscape) is a relief. Is Microsoft beginning to see the writing on the wall yet?

What writing?
    Haven't you wondered what make IE, IE?
    The ability to play nice with mal-form HTML. ActiveX. Use of non-standard features. A modern browser that's based on IE -- yeah, it's already out there. It's IE.

• UdoSchroeter

Minh totally gets it.

Why are people obsessing about a Google browser in the first place?

It's not like HTML rendering engines are exactly the technological cutting edge where money can be made right now.

IE users - would you switch to "Google IE" ? if it was open and you could modify/download code? (i probably would)

When was the last time you changed and recompiled your Mozilla? I think it's a common misconception that the appeal of open source lies in the fact that everyone can finally freely mutilate the codebase.

You know what? Mozilla/Firefox is a actually good browser. IE has a lot of nice features. Safari/KHTML is quite capable. Browser software is a commodity now, it's infrastructure.

• jamie

Minh wrote:
    What's "Google IE?"
    You mean re-write IE-like browser from scratch? Where and open-source Gecko is already available?

yes... 2 prominent programmers that worked on IE now work at google and google probably is working on a browser

uh.. because im bored with security updates - id have to see it to know if id use it. true i didnt spell out how id actually invision that browser to work.. basically i meant - an IE clone - that rendered like ie ( like ie renders frontpage and dhtml and FF does not) but it was open - to change - and perhaps - as it would be by google - some how crossplatform - like IE is now not. (mac!)

i dont think i need to answer this...

depends on how they do it
    picasa is a nice interface man.. no ads - no fisher price..  its an evolution of Win95/98 interface MS dumped .. but that most people are used to .

what if they made an ie clone - that looked like hello and picasa ( 2 google apps with really nice interfaces) id load it for sure.

the question is:  gmail GUI is rather nutty - could it use some -hello/picasa- ui makeover as well?
    make it more like express only updated?

id say so - many others would want it like google.

If google did do a browser - for sure they could make "themeing" a neccesity in all modern applications

• Sven Groot

Yes, that's just what the world needs, yet another browser.

You say you're tired of security updates. Do you honestly believe that a Google browser would not need a security update every now and then? Perfect software does not exist.

And Google is most certainly not reworking IE. Why the hell would MS want to have Google rework IE, especially open source. And if they're not working off the base of IE, it would never render just like IE.

I don't believe this is going to happen, and I don't think I'd care if it was.

• Maurits

I could see Google rebranding an existing open-source browser.  I could even see them doing a good job on improving it.
    I can't see Microsoft releasing even a single line of proprietary code to Google, not for any amount of money or all the tea in China.
    I can't see Microsoft allowing Google to call anything Google touches "Internet Explorer" or "IE".

• jamie

to SGroot

as a non-programmer (me) you are probably correct

i was speculating that with bosworth and beda they might "know" stuff others dont?

reverse engineer - clean room or whatever its called

**edit

or would it really be THAT impossible to rebuild IE - if youve SEEN it?

ie; "oh there's where they do this - cool - thats why that works here and not there"
    "look - its checking for this - better safe then sorry"
    etc

• Rossj

While I'd hate to slander either Bosworth or Beda, I am more interested in the current IE team rather than members of the one that put us where we are today.  Google most likely won't release a browser, and for that I'll be thankful - there is choice enough already without having to cater for three major browsers with different ideas on how to render stuff.

To be honest I'm getting so fed up with the state of *all* the browsers I'm considering discussing with my boss how we can get our apps out of the browser (where it makes sense).  It has been so fashionable to put stuff in the browser over the past few years and it has been made so easy to do, I don't think most thought whether they should.   Of course I am aware that there are plenty of valid application types that could be deployed via the browser, just not *all* of them.

• jamie

rossj - good point

• MisterDonut

Lets not forget the masses.. With the publicity (justified or not) of IE being less than desirable (security holes, no tabs, etc.), I think the majority of non-programmers (mom and pop) might well like to try a Google browser (since they did such a good job with a search engine).

Potentially, it could be an ad source of revenue for them (or something like that).

Google has (what Apple has) is good, solid home-user brand-name recognition. This is a great start for branching out into other development areas.

(Letting my Scheme background show 0 1)

• j0nd4v1d

Firefox has a lot of nice features, and some new stuff in 1.0 that I like a lot [rss feed aggregator, for one]. I, for one, am sticking with Firefox on my pc and safari on my mac. It's just a choice. If google is building a browser, then misterdonuts is so right - google has a terrific brand and they should be looking to extend that brand into any arena that could be a potential business win. That being said, they also need to stay true to why their brand is so strong in the first place- simplicity and functionality. It would be interesting to see someone try to replicate something as full-featured as IE or Firefox with the google brand. But then again, you know, google is approaching this question *kinda with gmail. They upped the ante with storage space and some functionlaity on that front, positioning their app as more user friendly than the interface and size constraints of hotmail, so anyway, their folks are already thinking about this stuff. Whether gmail is easier to use than hotmail not this thread. I wonder what their google product dev folks are thinking? Will there be some features that really set their browser apart, like a gig of storage did for gmail? As far as the standards question, I am with Minh and Udoschroeter, if everything were standards compliant, what about the support of non-standards? ActiveX. IE has its place, and knows it well. Udo::interesting point that browsers are now a commodity, part of the infrastucture - I think that is a one useful way to look at discussions like these, in the strict market sense.

• phunky_avoc​ado

Don't you know?!  Which browser you use is to a great extent a statement.  An adolescent declaration of individuality.  A "political" statement.

Google is the current "coolness", the current "flavor of the month".

Minh wrote:
    What's "Google IE?"

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.