Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Dear Scoble King of the Blogosphere,

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    AndyStewart

Hi Scoble,

With a title like that surely you cant ignore me? I'm a c# developer and doing some research into the future of development. I'm basically wondering if I should master the art of c#/winforms or the black magic of DHTML! I'm sure you dont want to lose your loyal developers to DHTML, however everywhere I look around blogosphere I seem to be getting pro's about Gmail style DHTM apps and very little about Smart clients. I was wondering if you knew the best blogs to read up on the benefits of smart client, as I seem to of got DHTML covered by reading bosworth/udell blogs.

Any recommendations?

CHeers

Andy

• User profile image
    RedWolves2

huh...was Channel 9 linked to from Slashdot again or something?

• User profile image
    AndyStewart

Hmm, maybe I should of made this a bit more generic. Just seemed that Mr Scoble was the best man to ask.

I'm free to get suggestions from everyone, I didnt particularly mean to cause any offence!

Andy

• User profile image
    RedWolves2

In my opinion you should master both.  You don't want your clients to just come to you with one task and go to another vendor for the other task.  They are going to search around till they can get both.

Jack of all trades master of none. (that is my job description by the way)

• User profile image
    Charles

Here's a blog on the topic of Smart Clients that is well worth a visit or two...

http://blogs.msdn.com/dphill

In general, DHTML and Smart Client technologies are orthogonal. If you want to create a powerful, stateful, auto-updating, performant, web-enabled client application, then a Smart Client is the way to go. If your target audience is going to be running web browser clients to get to your application, then a good old fashioned DHTML application is probably a good idea.

In general, I wouldn't compare the two. They are completely different technologies. That said, learn how to program managed Windows clients for sure. No need to throw away your DHTML skillset, just pick up a new, more powerful, set of skills. It will only benefit you in the future...

Charles

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.