Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Am I logged in?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Joe Average

One thing about this website that's bothering me a bit is it's hard to find out whether I'm logged in or not. It might be an idea to add a line on every page that says "Logged in as: <username> [See profile || Log out]."

• User profile image
    Knute

Or they could make that image at the top have a bigger bubble and have it say your name inside the bubble Smiley

~ Knute

• User profile image
    paulcam

I agree, but you can see if you're logged in by looking at the login link. If the link says "Login", it means you're not logged in. If you it says "Logout", it means you're logged in. Smiley

• User profile image
    Nystul

Um...did you miss the Login/Logout button?  It says Logout if you are logged in or Login if you are logged out.

Of course there is also the small clue as to whether or not you are logged in on the titlebar of Internet Explorer for every Channel 9 page you visit, such as "Am I logged in? (Logged in as: Nystul)".

• User profile image
    lenn

Good feedback guys.  Look at your title bar ... it shows whether you are logged in or not.  We need to make it more obvious. 

• User profile image
    miies

It's pretty obvious to me..

• User profile image
    Joe Average

Nystul wrote:
    Um...did you miss the Login/Logout button?  It says Logout if you are logged in or Login if you are logged out.

Of course there is also the small clue as to whether or not you are logged in on the titlebar of Internet Explorer for every Channel 9 page you visit, such as "Am I logged in? (Logged in as: Nystul)".

The login/logout button does hint you someone has logged in. That person doesn't necessarily have to be you.

However the target audience of Channel9 are developers that are used to deal with logic like 'if you're able to login then you're logged out', you shouldn't rely on logic. Some things just have to be shown on the spot. If it's pure logic that rules the world you shouldn't need to comment your code (since the code says it all.)

Another point that hasn't been pointed out yet: if you're logged in you should be on the 'Online Users' list. (I haven't really checked if it's true in every case.)

As for the titlebar comment, the title bar doesn't tell you you are logged in as <username> on every page. The homepage is a good example. Besides that, the titlebar is a perfect spot to miss.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.