Coffeehouse Thread

72 posts

How to easily make Windows free: Idea?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

i agree with Akaina - no matter how "political" or "emotional" that post may seem to Microsoftites - its really is a speading fire..

people want to technology to free them and are willing to participate to make it so.  The mere fact OSS exists must scare the parts off you..

I cant use it ( no apps) but the second ONE app - is only avail on Linux and no Win - that i want - that will be it..  thats - Dual boot stage..

Imagine if - for lack of better example - ill use long awaited game Doom3.. imagine if - ID released it ONLY for Linux. Only. THat was it. ( Of course they couldnt - cause the are a big company = sharesholders) - but pretending they did - there would be ALOT of new linux installs going on.

Sooner or later - a developer who wants to be heard or noticed - will come up with that app - and - if as emotionally or politically based as above comment is his/her slant - it will be a linux only release.

Perhaps there already is a "killer linux app" ( apart from the internet and email lol)

but so far those still run on windows

* this all comes back to the Google OS post - its all about trust

trust your customers
    make longhorn "free" as in unrestricted in anyway

heck id pay DOUBLE

( now that would be a good poll: would you pay more for a windows that was totally free!!!"

i WOULD

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

jamie wrote:
    i agree with Akaina - no matter how "political" or "emotional" that post may seem to Microsoftites - its really is a speading fire..

people want to technology to free them and are willing to participate to make it so.  The mere fact OSS exists must scare the parts off you..

I cant use it ( no apps) but the second ONE app - is only avail on Linux and no Win - that i want - that will be it..  thats - Dual boot stage..

Imagine if - for lack of better example - ill use long awaited game Doom3.. imagine if - ID released it ONLY for Linux. Only. THat was it. ( Of course they couldnt - cause the are a big company = sharesholders) - but pretending they did - there would be ALOT of new linux installs going on.

Sooner or later - a developer who wants to be heard or noticed - will come up with that app - and - if as emotionally or politically based as above comment is his/her slant - it will be a linux only release.

Perhaps there already is a "killer linux app" ( apart from the internet and email lol)

but so far those still run on windows

* this all comes back to the Google OS post - its all about trust

trust your customers
    make longhorn "free" as in unrestricted in anyway

heck id pay DOUBLE

( now that would be a good poll: would you pay more for a windows that was totally free!!!"

i WOULD

Sooner or later, Open Source will no longer exist as Capitalism will destory it as it is doing to Communist China. So anyway, I think Microsoft's current stance on Open Source is great and they should keep it up.

• User profile image
    Akaina

"Sooner or later, Open Source will no longer exist as Capitalism will destory it as it is doing to Communist China. So anyway, I think Microsoft's current stance on Open Source is great and they should keep it up."

The difference between Communism and Free software is that Communism failed because it squelched individual enumeration - it marginalized the individual. It stopped people from achieving 'more'. Open source software allows people to do 'more' - it's the closed source stuff you have to pay for that limits what you can and cannot do; even neglecting budget constraints. That is why Open Source will win, for the same reason Capitalism won; because it gives people the ability to do more with less.

Microsoft has a choice to make (in the long term) - adapt and survive, or collapse under its own weight. FUD will only get you so far. Eventually you have to prove you can offer more than the collective consciousness of geeks around the world. That's a tall order, even for Microsoft. Eventually some rogue genius is going to come along... or an entire army of them...

Offtopic: This board is such a great forum for these types of discussions. Mad props go out to the whole channel 9 crew. You guys are excellent! Microsoft is really showing some good faith here.

• User profile image
    jamie

agreed - MS has a huge compitor now.. did i say - HUGE

so - without going for more capitalist/communist analogies, what does MS do?

- well for one they raise the bar
    ( longhorn - love it or hate it will do this)
    This alone should make OSS a non-issue for yet another 2-3 years on Desktop.

- They embrace TRUST
    ..no not trusted computing.. or whatever the buzzword is this week - MS will - or MUST - learn to be humble and small in communications

NO more smary office websites full of lies and happy office drones and "catchy" headlines

FIRE YOUR MARKETING COMPANIES
    ( go team comercials...akk! your fired! all of you!)

MS needs to - again - look to companies like Google - for perception and fuzziness

To summarize: Microsoft needs to turn its DISADVANTAGES into ADVANTAGES.

It really quite simple..

Continue building the most great OS the world has ever seen, dont burden it with ( WE OWN YOU LICENING ACTIVATION) andand Linux will be toast

Throw out 80% of the source code while your at it - for free bug fixes

MICROSOFT: YOU NEED TO ACT - BE HUMBLE - WE DONT WANT A CHAOTIC MARKETPLACE OR TO HAVE TO USE LINUX

pull back on activation and drm....for NOW..

PS - could you not also make a windows uodate style online compiler? so you release what ever source you can - and developers can compile it using some evil online thing Wink

• User profile image
    Charles

jamie wrote:
    - but i run 2 cracked versions as i dont like the invation of privacy.

Interesting. What exactly do you mean?

Keep on posting,

Charles

• User profile image
    jamie

if it were up to me..

anyone who mentioned "subscription" for OS would be fired

I would release Longhorn at 80 bucks canadian - non crippled - like home XP is...

( its currently 300 bucks for Pro in canada)

i wouldnt put any activation or monitoring in it ( by monitoring i mean - "we no who you are - we will attempt to deliver to you WRONG machine derived content to you"  no thanks

to me Linux has only ONE feature...  it doesnt track or monitor you

( yet?)

• User profile image
    jamie

My address is 3 Corley ave Toronto - I run 2 of the infamous "leaked corp builds or XP pro - BUT I OWN 2 boxed versions of XPpro Smiley

you no - the cool orange covered folder - with the book and quick start etc

so if you come to arrest me - im covered haha

but really - id rather operate my computer - not you. annoymously - not MONITORED

( "but we dont monitor you or do anything else that would....bla bla) - not interested.

I buy Milk everyweek. But if Neilson's ever demanded I sign up to buy milk, and give them an un-fettered connection to my life - well Id switch to Silverstien's Dairy Wink

• User profile image
    Charles

What makes you think XP is tracking you?

Keep on posting,

Charles

• User profile image
    jamie

because its connected to the windows update mothership

id rather that be updating a "droid" numbered machine

its funny - i dont even do anything bad lol- but im a musician - first band Victory Hits ( after 1984 - Victory Corporation) 2nd band - Pop Vultures

Just really not into turning on the "creativity machine" - and have a feeling that it may or may not connect back to mother ship

"Shall we clean up your desktop? - "You have new updates -  bla bla

You know - if MS really wants to have a dialogue with customers - they should establish a much better communication mechanism - that will obtian trust - not demand it

hope that helps answer your question charles..

btw - KEEP ON POSTING

lol Wink

• User profile image
    Charles

I used to be on the Windows Update team. So, I can assure you that the information exposed to the auto-update process of XP contains no more data than is necessary for successfully updating your system. What makes you think otherwise? User privacy is extremely important to Microsoft. What are we doing wrong?

Keep on posting,

Charles

• User profile image
    jamie

Hello - Welcome to Windows XP!  Im Windy - your personal update assistant.

Windy can help you update your machine, and manage content, email and contact info if you so wish.

Would you like to enable Microsoft Windy?

NO
    Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

Windows Update is GREAT!  !!!!!

a ... "friend o'mine"  ... uses it all the time

( ps - " i now summon the great powers of the OSS channel 9 community to HELP ME OUT HERE haha)

** btw - its not just windows update - its the idea that ms wants a Vending machine on every desk and in every home - to quote an old mission statement..

MAIN THREAD: how to make winodws free: release Beta - or Base version everywhere.. - no hoops

It's called Longhorn and all subsequent versions add paid add on's on to it

( now there's a sentence!)

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Let's put it this way. Abstract this idea to society as a whole. How do you make everything free for everyone?

If you can figure that out, you've figured out how to create value in the idea for businesses. And, if you can do that, you should be able to come up with an interesting (if not compelling) case for at least looking at free betas.

It might be a challenge, but you're asking for something big here. The least you can do is put some thought into it beyond the standard party lines.

I love the monk analogy, btw. I don't believe it applies (as I know far too many OSS people who are in it for the hate, not the love, or are even in it for the fame). But, it's a very good point. The problem is that I believe all software developers are those monks. If those monks had gotten paid, it wouldn't have decreased the value of their contribution.

• User profile image
    Manip

jamie wrote:
    but i run 2 cracked versions as i dont like the invation of privacy

My address is 3 Corley ave Toronto - I run 2 of the infamous "leaked corp builds or XP pro - BUT I OWN 2 boxed versions of XPpro Smiley

If what you say is true.. Then your telling me you trust some random 'crackers' more than you do Microsoft?! I mean, these people make a living cracking legitimate software and selling it. They are not the most trustworthy individuals. It wouldn't shock me if there was a virus/Trojan/spyware in those versions.

ALSO, it is illegal to run those versions EVEN if you own a completely legitimate copy. I mean, if you have a copy of a movie (which someone filmed in the cinema) and own the DVD, it doesn't make the cinema version any more legal. So the fact that you own the legal version is irrelevant..

• User profile image
    jamie

just being honest

i have bought 95,98,2000 and ran all those legit

but they didnt have activation

i also change my machine hardware alot -

* quickbooks just went through a whole big customer backlash over activation..  food for thought

re: monks - make everything free then - sorry the analogy doesnt cut it.

your main competitor offers a free version of what you sell.  Last time i checked there were no free colas attacking Coke's lead. 

Free betas no hoops is still a simple way to at least give developers something free to build too - although its still not free for release - and theres no source  ( like Shared Source Program )

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Akaina wrote:
    "Sooner or later, Open Source will no longer exist as Capitalism will destory it as it is doing to Communist China. So anyway, I think Microsoft's current stance on Open Source is great and they should keep it up."

The difference between Communism and Free software is that Communism failed because it squelched individual enumeration - it marginalized the individual. It stopped people from achieving 'more'. Open source software allows people to do 'more' - it's the closed source stuff you have to pay for that limits what you can and cannot do; even neglecting budget constraints. That is why Open Source will win, for the same reason Capitalism won; because it gives people the ability to do more with less.

You completely missed the point; with Open Source (not Free Software) anyone can copy code, label it as theirs, close it, then start selling it. This happens as soon as someone realizes that he/she can make money off it. That is what will make capitalism destory Open Source.

I believe Redhat and Linspire are doing this. Many other organizations/people are joining in.

By the way, the only way to prevent Capitalism from destorying Open Source is to destory currency and that is not happening; communism tried it and failed.

• User profile image
    Akaina

"What makes you think otherwise? User privacy is extremely important to Microsoft. What are we doing wrong?"

How about that time you were told to take your hand out of the cookie jar and stop taking customer information in the Win98 days?

"Microsoft's practice of collecting hardware serial numbers while registering software "compromises consumer trust and privacy," TRUSTe ruled in response to a consumer complaint. Microsoft admitted it has collected such data, but said it has stopped."

More here:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-223374.html?legacy=cnet&st.ne.lh..ni

I can see your next move a mile away - XP's SP2 rolls out and goes berserk because it detects Norton Firewall, BlackIce and others as "suspicious" programs. Yeah... thanks for the security buddy...

write on Jamie

• User profile image
    Manip

Charles wrote:
    I used to be on the Windows Update team. So, I can assure you that the information exposed to the auto-update process of XP contains no more data than is necessary for successfully updating your system. What makes you think otherwise? User privacy is extremely important to Microsoft. What are we doing wrong?

Anyone else note that he said "no more data than is necessary" but didn't say they clear it after.. Because if they did clear it after, he would have used that to make his point.

Charles, if you tell me that to the best of your knowledge they DON'T store ANY information taken during the update process I will take you on your word. That DOES include versions of Microsoft products etc.

[Store as in to use for any purpose other than the immediate update. Update tracking DOES count.]

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.