Coffeehouse Thread

39 posts

For Americans and Englands...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • selflex

Hello, Americans and Englands!

I'd like to know - what do you know about Russia. May be you know some funny stories about Russians, what do you know about Russia economy, politic, etc. No C.I.A. Factbook citates please. It's realy interesting for me.

Thank you.

• juliankay

lol

• Sabot

Hi Selflex,

I'm British and I've actually been to Moscow for afew days over along weekend.

On the whole I found that Moscow was a fascinating place. The people I found were extremely friendly and relished an opportunity to practice their English, but really appreciated that I tried to speak Russian.

I’m very pleased that Russia now has a great relationship with Europe and it would be really cool if you too could join us in the European Union.

I’m not a Chelsea football fan but since ‘Roman’ brought Chelsea they have gone from strength to strength, so I’m sure there are no complaints there.

Speak of History, Britain and Russia is very much tied together. The Romanov family were related to the Windsor’s. Our future is also very much tied to Russia as our natural Gas will soon come from your oil fields and not from the North Sea.

Economically, Russia has the reputation of a ‘sleeping’ industrial giant on the verge of waking up. This obviously means more inwards investment and in some quarters is more badly needed than others.

As for the war against the Chechin rebels, many in Britain see this as a purely an internal matter and has little to do with us. But the taking of innocent lives is not expectable for any cause!

Russia is the largest country on earth, with a wealth of natural resources with a capable and determined people, fully deserving their place at the top table of the world’s nations.

On a personal note, Kalashnikov Vodka has now gone on sale in the UK, nice for warming the insides on a cold day. Wink

-Sabot

• eagle

Carl Marx was a Brit, funny how you "actually" forgot that.

• Tom Malone

eagle wrote:

No one mentioned him till you, so who exactly forgot him and what relevance did it serve.

• Rossj

eagle wrote:

Was he? I thought he was born in Prussia Smiley Oh and its Karl with a K.

http://www.philosophypages.com/ph/marx.htm

• Tom Malone

Rossj wrote:
    eagle wrote: Carl Marx was a Brit, funny how you "actually" forgot that.

Was he? I thought he was born in Prussia Smiley Oh and its Karl with a K.

http://www.philosophypages.com/ph/marx.htm

Yep he is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Marx

• Jaz

eagle wrote:

you really are quite dull, you should maybe learn your world history

I don't know who the hell Carl Marx is however if you're reffering to Karl Marx (what would an american know, you don't know how to spell colour), you'll find he was born in Germany (or well what is now part of Germany).

He wrote for te New York Tribue, does that make him American?

now go back to your world history books and study harder.

• eagle

Karl Marx wrote his book intending that the lowly Brits would rise up and overthrow the ruling class, but it never happened.

Did you know it was the Irish Revolution of 1916 that inspired Lenin and his Bolsheviks?

• Tom Malone

Love to go to russia, meant to be really cold, my friend went and keeps going on about how nice it is so must get round to going.

• Rossj

eagle wrote:

Karl Marx wrote his book intending that the lowly Brits would rise up and overthrow the ruling class, but it never happened.

Did you know it was the Irish Revolution of 1916 that inspired Lenin and his Bolsheviks?

Its a pity that he had a hard time motivating us brits (not that my family were here at the time Tongue Out ) but then we generally are hard to motivate.

I had no idea that the Irish Revolution inspired Lenin, so it looks like I've learnt something new today Smiley

• eagle

Lenin said there would not be a Russian Revolution in his lifetime, and then he witnessed what transpired in Dublin in April 1916.

• Tom Malone

eagle wrote:

Lenin said there would not be a Russian Revolution in his lifetime, and then he witnessed what transpired in Dublin in April 1916.

I wonder if he saw Ireland today if he would rethink anything, or if he would feel that ireland is too religous, as of course churches were illegal during Stalins reign i don't know if this was just for stalin or others as well.

• eagle

If Lenin came to Dublin he like everyone else who does would have a good time!

Did Microsoft set up their European Headquarters in Eire because the Pope told them too?

• selflex

To ALL who talking about Lenin, Marks, etc.
    Russia is not USSR!!!
    We are democracity country. Our president's name is Vladimir Putin =)

• eagle

I traveled to the USSR in 1991, flew on Aeroflot from Shannon. Had a great time, as my friend said when we got back to Eire, "when we got there we knew no one, when we left there were four Russians crying after us at the airport".

• Rossj

selflex wrote:
    To ALL who talking about Lenin, Marks, etc.
    Russia is not USSR!!!
    We are democracity country. Our president's name is Vladimir Putin =)

Does putin mean the same in Russian as it sounds like in French (putain) ?

• Sven Groot

The first thing that comes to mind when talking about Russia is this quote by a Russian from during the Clinton schandal:
    "I don't see why the Americans are making such a fuss of this [having sex with an intern]. If Jeltsin would do that we would be proud that he still could!"

Last year there was a reality TV show here called "Peking Express". The contestants had to hitchhike in couples from Moscow to Peking along the route of the Orient Express, using no more than €2 per day. The race was divided up in stages (if a couple didn't make the finish in time they were picked up before the next stage started so nobody was left too far behind) of a few days. Contestants would get points for reaching the finish first and after two stages the couple with the least points had to go home. They could also win amulets, and at the end the winners could substitute each amulet they had for €10000.

During the stages the contestants had to sleep and eat at the locals (they couldn't pay for this because they didn't have much money with them). This showed us that the Russians are very hospitable, and overall very friendly. It also showed some amazing contrasts between rich and poor. Sometimes one couple would catch a lift in a Mercedes and end up at a marina eating caviar, while another couple would be driving around in an old van of Eastern European make and end up sleeping in a barn. What amazed me is that no matter how poor, the people were always willing to share what little they had.

And no matter what, they always drank vodka. Lots and lots of vodka. Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.