Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

MS Quality of life Survey

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

Recently, someone blogged about how much time her husband has to spend at work (EA [boo!]). 50 - 80 hrs week for the life of a project. Yikes!

MS people are known workaholics. So, I'd like to ask a few "quality of life" questions & would love some input:

* How many hours a week do you usually put in?
    * Crunch modes are unavoidable, but how frequently are you on them?
    * Your significant others, what do they think of your working hrs?
    * I read LarryOsterman's blogs about the variety of positions, do people move around alot?
    * Do you enjoy your job?
    * Do the negative press affect you as workers?

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

Minh wrote:

MS people are known workaholics. So, I'd like to ask a few "quality of life" questions & would love some input:

* I read LarryOsterman's blogs about the variety of positions, do people move around alot?
    * Do you enjoy your job?

1) 40-50, normally, 60+ in crunch mode.
    2) Typically the month or two before a major release, although that varies - my longest time in crunch mode is 3 years.
    3) Valorie says she's ok with them Smiley
    4) Depends Smiley
    5) Yup, I love my job.
    6) Actually it does - I've got a pretty thick skin, but it gets on my nerves sometimes.

• User profile image
    ironjazz

*How many hours a week do you usually put in?
    Typically 50 hrs. Record was about 16 hrs everyday for two weeks, in another country.

it used to be when big launches were around the horizons, akan big products like office, windows etc.

they think i'm a workaholic

Not for me. i only get my new job after 4 years

* Do you enjoy your job?
    Loved my old job, love my new job

It actually provides a lot of leisure.

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Charles wrote:
    Typically, yes, we work a great deal, but that's because we love what we do!

1) Including weekends? Wink
    2) More crunch than cream.
    3) N/A
    4) Love it.
    5) As Larry said, it depends. I've moved one time.
    6) Yep. But it just makes me work harder.

Charles, you mixed up the 4th and fifth questions, can you please change it? This makes the survey more valid, thankyou.

• User profile image
    Charles

Typically, yes, we work a great deal, but that's because we love what we do!

1) Including weekends? Wink
    2) More crunch than cream.
    3) N/A
    4) As Larry said, it depends. I've moved one time.
    5) Love it.
    6) Yep. But it just makes me work harder.

EDIT: Switched answers 4 and five to correctly reflect the question...

• User profile image
    Charles

Oops. Changed.

Thanks

• User profile image
    Minh

ZippyV wrote:
    Do you get payed for overtime?

Ooh, good one. Wish I'd thought of that. I have a feeling they're "excempt". How about comp. time?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Do you get payed for overtime?

Edit: New question for the programmers. How many lines of code do you have to write/day?

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

50-55 hours in the office, plus 10 or so hours at home on email, or VPNed into my dev machine

Most employees are salaried, so no overtime.

Usually at the end of milestones, or for code complete, etc.  For most of my time at Microsoft, I've worked on products that ship annually, so usually a short crunch for two milestones then a crunch mode or death march for the RTM/RTW.

The longest crunch mode was one death march where I worked May, June, July, and most of August, taking only four days off - Mother's Day in May (or I'd be divorced), my wife's birthday in June (ditto), my own birthday in June (hey, I needed a break), and July 4th, my favorite holiday.  I worked 10-12 hours each weekday, 4-8 on weekends.

Not easy, but it's the nature of the industry and the job.

Depends.  I been on three teams in 9 years - Encarta (where I had 5 different positions), MSN Client, IE. 
    * Do you enjoy your job?

Yes, it's engaging and challenging.

LOL.  Did I say I work on Internet Explorer? 

I don't ignore negative press. Some negative press is valid (IMHO) and I try to learn from it. Some press is just ill-informed.  Frequently there are agendas underlying the story.

Ever been to a concert or similar event, then read the review of it the next day and wonder "Gee, was this reviewer even at the same place I was?  He/she had a completely different experience than I did."

Much of the press I read - good or bad - seems like that.

I will say there are plenty of people who get more worked up about erroneous articles than I do.  I have better things to do.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

for some bizzare reason (probably error between keyboard and chair), that posted wrong, so I had to fix it a bit.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.