Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Another company making money off of Open Source freebies?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    tbeckner

How many people will work for free to make someone else rich?

It appears to me that Open Source could die, because of the greed of a few. Or is Linspire extending the reach of Open Source like RedHat and others? What do you think?

Linspire Brings Firefox and OpenOffice.org to Retail ... Why?

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=44591&feed=rss&subj=Windows

• User profile image
    Tom Malone

they've been doing it for ages. Particually with open office, its meant to be because of their point n click technology, just use fedora or mandrake

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I am looking foward to saving money from that costly office suite.

Anywho these guys are chumps and are just looking to make a quick buck off the hard work of others. Is there nothing to protect FF or OO  from this? So can I pretty much take any OSS, package it then resell it?

• User profile image
    bwill
  • User profile image
    bwill

harumscarum - it depends on the license the software uses.  I know you could take any GPL software, repackage it and sell it.  I believe many other open source licenses are the same, although if I were you I would do my legal 'due diligence' before selling open source software.

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

I don't see the light at the end of this tunnel. It sounds to me like another spam starting scheme - you know the one, where some people thought it would be good to advertise their company on usenet, then everyone did it.
    I think now that this company is selling OSS, everyone will catch on and try and get a piece of the pie. This sounds like freedom shall even be removed from open source. Oh well.

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Wow. Sorry didn't know people have been selling it for 20 years. I even learnt that spam starting scheme here on Channel9.

I'm still opposed to selling OSS software even though a user can get it free. That's just a plain scam.

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Well you've certainly convinced me that selling OSS software isn't a scam. I'll just be downloading the free version. Thanks for the history lesson Smiley

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Beer28 wrote:

Well, I certainly disagree with selling GPL'd software for large profits without getting any of that back to the authors. I know some people do it, and that's wrong...

...If you're selling GPL software as an unmodified solution to a client for thousands of dollars because they are ignorant to it's existance. I'd have to say that's wrong. Or packaging tons of free software titles and charging upwards of $100 for the box. I've seen McMillan soft do this, and I'm not for that either.

I disagree with that for sure. That's a scam. But the idea of selling Linux for $5 out of a backpack is not a scam. Who is this McMillan soft company anyway? They sound pretty evil.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

Beer28 wrote:

EDIT: I read that first version of emacs helped fund what became the free software foundation, Richard Stallman and all the cool stuff that comes of it today. Had nobody paid for the "free" software, he perhaps may not have been able to proceed with his ideas and GNU. I also beleive that $100-$150 original version of emacs was available on cassette tape.

The first version of Emacs was written by RMS while he was a CS professor at MIT, that's what paid for the starter.  Emacs was free afaik.

The core of the Emacs that everyone knows was actually written by Jim Gosling as a grad student at CMU.  After Gosling left CMU to work at Sun, it was rewritten/modified into Gnu EMACS (I'm not sure what had to be modified).

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

FREE/ open software programmers (i call them social workers) are going to die of hunger. I don't understand how can they work for FREE when they deserve a good money in return? They must start thinking and perhaps calculating how much they could have earned by those software codes they wrote.

You want proof? Well, what did RMS do? he is just known as a founder of open source software. Well just tell me how much time it takes to roll out an OS? And tell me how much famous is gnu's OS? Look at Bill Gates. He found business potential and earned a lot he deserves. Although he did many many greedy things which is not good but, he made revolution in the computer world with the money he earned. What dramatic can RMS do with gnu? Bill can do it without even thinking about it.

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Beer28 wrote:
    shreyasonline wrote: FREE/ open software programmers (i call them social workers) are going to die of hunger. I don't understand how can they work for FREE when they deserve a good money in return? They must start thinking and perhaps calculating how much they could have earned by those software codes they wrote.

Free as in Freedom, GPL software can and is sold and people do make money using and writing free software. Richard fought for intellectual freedom, not monetary freedom. And I think he won. The proof is what we're seeing today.

Again, I have to say the same thing I said in another post which goes like below:

Well, you call the software as "FREE" for FREEDOM. It means the same as FREE price. e.g. I buy a Linux CD at a cheap price. So I dont care to share the CD with thousands of people on web. They download the CD. Now it's same as FREE price as one person payed a cheap price for thousands of customers around the world. The programmer needs to do a lot of work to make software and what does he get? he get only a few $ to eat a couple of days dinner.

ALso I would like to mention that I am a regular stock trader in National Stock Exchange, Mumbai. Hence, I have a good sense of ecomonics. Hence, if there is a demand for a product and you are passing it on for FREE by stating some stupid philosophy then in business terms you are MOST STUPID PERSON ON THE PLANET.

I am sorry for using harsh/straight forward statements but, TRUTH is always bitter and hard to accept. Those who accept quickly make gold, those who dont make hay!

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

This is really bad.... making money from someone elses work. I think the one who worked hard really lacks business sense.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

Beer28 wrote:
    Gosh, you are like a freaking encyclopedia of computing history Larry.
    RMS? Richard M Stallman, what's the M for?

Beer,
     I lived it.  I used the original Emacs on CMU's Tops-20 machines back in 1980.  I used Goslings Emacs (with LNZ's redisplay algorithms) and Mike Kazar's FINEmacs on the CS department's dec 10's.

Stuff like that you tend not to forget.

Edit: Kazaa->Kazar

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

shreyasonline wrote:
    ALso I would like to mention that I am a regular stock trader in National Stock Exchange, Mumbai. Hence, I have a good sense of ecomonics.

I'm not saying whether you have a good sense of economics or not, but I have had enough dealings with people who trade to know that that does not guarantee a good sense of economics. Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.