Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Significance of 1033

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    lars

It seems the documentation is always contained in a folder named as a number. I don't know if it's always been "1033", but I've seen that one for ages with the MSDN Library. What is the significance of "1033"?

/Lars.

• User profile image
    Lwatson

I thought that was the i18n number given to the english version. I have seen other language variants being placed into different directories with other numeric designations.

• User profile image
    miies

Yep it's a language number. You can also find it in query string parameters. At Hotmail, for example: sign in at Hotmail and you'll see a parameter lc=1033 passing by.

• User profile image
    Richard Acton

another example is in ASP3.0, we would set:

session.lcid = 2057

at the top of each page that does anything with date or currency types to set them to the UK (British) settings. I am assuming 1033 is the language code for English (US)

• User profile image
    lars

I see. Thanks for explaining it guys!

/Lars.

• User profile image
    warren

perhaps you've seen "409", too, in  your ventures through Windows registry settings and directories over the years?  "409" is hex for 1033. Smiley

• User profile image
    Steve411

warren wrote:
    perhaps you've seen "409", too, in  your ventures through Windows registry settings and directories over the years?  "409" is hex for 1033. Smiley

There are folders in the Windows\System32 directory, that are named 1033, 1031,1037,1041,1025,1028,1042,1054,2052,3076...
      To tell you the truth, they sound like version numbers to me....

• User profile image
    Steve411

EdiT:

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.