Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

Hotmail mysteries

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • dpen2000

Okay one very simple question to start with: How come to get to a message I click on the name of the sender? Isn't it more logical to attach the link to the subject field?

Some ones related to the urls:
    1. Why is hotmail spelt HoTMaiL in the url as in hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/HoTMaiL?curmbox= ?
    2. what is the curmbox value for? More interestingly, why is it called curmbox?
    3. "&a=35662d5e95a0ac3b60d8f23140245be4&fti=yes" what are these two values? I'm especially interested in "fti". Changing it to "no" didn't seem to have any effect? (If a is my password, don't bother me... it's swiggled now.)

Oh yeah one last one: is there or has there ever been any easter eggs in hotmail?

DP

• IceFreak2000

dpen2000 wrote:

1. Why is hotmail spelt HoTMaiL in the url as in hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/HoTMaiL?curmbox= ?

Clue - Have a look at which letters are capitalised in HoTMaiL

• Manip

This is a guess.. but it looks like you just posted a hash of your password..  which could be used to gain access to your account.. change your password maybe?  

• dpen2000

Maybe but none of you know my hotmail address or even my name so if you know my password now, it really doesn't matter.
    (If that was my password, it is swiggled now.)
    DP

• gmiley

I figure it this way:

agree - HoTMaiL (HTML)

curmbox = Current Mail Box

a= either Password hash or session

fti= ? not sure

• HE3

And why make us pay for Calendar? Sheesh! Im too poor for that.

• vazz

OK now for the real question. When is Hotmail getting the 1 GB storage account? Wink

• Knute

vazz wrote:

OK now for the real question. When is Hotmail getting the 1 GB storage account? Wink

Vazz,
    You get 1GB from Google so they can invade your privacy... Read the fine print. What they intend to do is monitor your inbox and target advertisements based on the content of your email.

I sure hope it's squeaky clean!!!

~ Knute

• Knute

HE3 wrote:
    And why make us pay for Calendar? Sheesh! Im too poor for that.

Are you serious? You get an awesome web interface email client, with RTE, folders, spam blocking and free space and you complaining that you have to pay for the Calendar feature?

It's about marketing, there are tons of co's that do this. Give you a little taste of what the SW features are like so you will want more. Personally I think they are crazy giving us so much for FREE...

~ Knute

ps - Keep up the good work Hotmailer's!!!

• Jeremy W

Just a clarification, it's not monitoring your inbox, it's a context-sensitive addendum as mail goes through the filters. No monitoring at all.

• Knute

Cool, you got the spec! Great can you post it somewhere so we can take a look?

otherwise:

Context-sensitive addendum = MONITOR

Why do you think all the privacy groups are up in arms about this new offering from Google?

~ Knute

• Jeremy W

No monitoring is very different.

For instance, we attach messages to all of our outgoing mail based on context sensitive switching. However, we have no idea what the mail is. We don't read it. We don't log it. We don't monitor it.

The system simply finds out what the appropriate footer is for the message type and attaches it.

Google is, apparently, doing the same thing. The spec? No. At most Google is logging number of ads being served. It isn't reading your mail just because this is happening as it goes through mail gateways.

Why do I think privacy advocates are up in arms? It's their job. They have a very, very valid concern.

• Knute

Here are some links to the GMAIL privacy issue:

World Privacy Forum

UK Article

Yahoo Article - Proposed CA Legislation to Block

• vazz

Knute wrote:
    vazz wrote:

Vazz,
    You get 1GB from Google so they can invade your privacy... Read the fine print. What they intend to do is monitor your inbox and target advertisements based on the content of your email.

I sure hope it's squeaky clean!!!

~ Knute

Well google in not the only one offering 1 GB. Check out http://www.spymac.com. I just wanted to know if hotmail is going to joing this war. Smiley I heard some 

rumors that Yahoo is also going to up the storage size but only for certain users.

• Knute

I am not sure what benefit this would be for Microsoft to follow this path. Do you think they are concerned with people leaving their free service for someone elses free service? I imagine that if GMAIL or this spymac company offered a competing ISP product like MSN 9 then they might follow along.

I don't really see these other services as a threat to Hotmail or MSN.

~ Knute

• Catatonic

I remember that about 7 or 8 years ago Hotmail used to be spelled "HoTMaiL". I guess the spelling really stuck!

• Jeremy W

I had a Hotmail account back in 94/95 (can't remember) and it wasn't HoTMaiL. It was the Hotmail logo, and the design was the 2 column (white on the left, blue on the right)...

Maybe not?! Actually, back then it might have even been a red design... Let me see if the Archives have it (I'm very curious now)...

• Jeremy W

It only has back to 97 (http://web.archive.org/web/19970427172530/http://www.hotmail.com/index.html">http://www.hotmail.com/index.html">http://web.archive.org/web/19970427172530/http://www.hotmail.com/index.html) ... Sad. Made me wonder if Hotmail was around in 94/95, but I'm sure it was because I was leaving High School (95) and I had 5 websites, a Hotmail account (still have the same one) and had already done 2 contracts...

But yeah, none of the Wayback stuff has the design elements.

Ooooh...

My apologies mate, you're right! Looking at the title it is HoTMaiL. The logo wasn't like that, but the page title obviously was. Unless I'm remembering the logo wrong, of course (quite possible).

Good memory mate!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.